PDA

View Full Version : Transport discovery

BRPjunkie
06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
I have a 5' x 7' utility trailer rated at 1,500 lbs. All earlier posts said that the Spyder would not fit on a 5' trailer. Got bored today and gave it a try. It will fit provided you do two things. First, you must load it backwards with the rear wheel to the front. Second, you need a sloped driveway so that you can place the trailer wheels at the bottom which results in the loading ramp being almost flat with the bed of the trailer. I slowly let the Spyder roll down the drive and once centered, it almost loads itself. Just about 1/2 inch clearance on each side between the wheels and the 6 inch high side rails. Tires clear easily, it is the wheel spokes that you have to watch. The front tires at the rear of the trailer have about 4 inches of space to the rear. Soft ties through the wheels and tie downs securing it and it rode nicely on the test drive. Yes, the nose cone sticks off the back and the loading ramp has to be detached and carried in the back of the truck or van, but in an emergency, I can get it to the dealer. This all assumes I can limp home after a breakdown. I'm not sure how this would work on a roadside pickup because loading ramp is too steep to load manually and clearance is to tight to attempt loading under power. Also, not sure how to get it off once at the dealer. I suppose that I could just leave it on the trailer and let them service it. Would post photos, but apparently better at loading on a trailer than posting photos.

pphantom538
06-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks, same size as my trailer.