PDA

View Full Version : It's been five years and the Spyder is still here.

mxz600
06-18-2013, 01:10 PM
After I bought my Spyder a guy at work was making fun of my new ride. He said after the novelty wears off I would be back to riding my Harley. I tried explaining the advantages of the Spyder over two wheels and he just scoffed and said that the Spyder wouldn't make it five years.

Well it did, and I'm sure it will be around for many more. :thumbup:

And by the way, my Harley is no longer taking up space in my garage.

Bob Denman
06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
:congrats: Are you going to call the guy up and remind him of your conversation? ;)

Rockwall
06-18-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm surprised that other major brands have not come out with their own reverse trikes.

Some Guy
06-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Time flies when you're having fun!

I too have had my GS for 5 years. Just last month I added a stable-mate to the garage. :2thumbs:

(Some Girl says it's a "chocolate covered Spyder"...hmm...see my signature below! ;) )

Chupaca
06-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Thats what they said about our marriage...23 years and going strong. Your friend may have to admit they are here to stay. Especially if he rides around here where many HD rides have a spyder mixed in...:ohyea:

ARtraveler
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
It is very difficult to change anyone's negative opinion of the :spyder2:--double that if they are quoting myths and have never owned one.

I ran into a gentleman last week and he asked me how I could drive a vehicle that "everyone says" is difficult to steer. I did not get into technical aspects but just told him that I have had no such problems with any of the four :ani29:'s I have owned--which is true.

RE: Other brands coming out with a reverse trike. I am sure they are watching the :spyder2: very carefully. If the brand has survived five years--I believe there is a future. Honda is probably the one to watch since they are coming out with a lot of innovative stuff recently.

Big Arm
06-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Had mine 5 yrs and 3mos...........still lovin' it :yes:

mxz600
06-18-2013, 01:46 PM
:congrats: Are you going to call the guy up and remind him of your conversation? ;)

I already told him. He was just in my office to empty the trash.

It turns out I jumped the gun a little bit. Kevin reminded me this will be my fifth year of ownership, so technically it has only been four years since we had our discussion. He still could end up being right, but I kind of doubt it.

spydaman60
06-18-2013, 01:46 PM
went to americade two weeks ago and even though the weather didn't comply completely, managed to get in a 375 mile run through vt. with 9 buddies of mine on harleys. (some of my spyder buddies left early cause of the weather) after riding with them for the day and them seeing how the spyder handled on the wet roads, i don't think i'll ever get any more :cus: from them about my spyder. managed to put some of the younger boys in the rear of the pack!:clap:

03hdjill
06-18-2013, 04:28 PM
After I bought my Spyder a guy at work was making fun of my new ride. He said after the novelty wears off I would be back to riding my Harley. I tried explaining the advantages of the Spyder over two wheels and he just scoffed and said that the Spyder wouldn't make it five years.

Well it did, and I'm sure it will be around for many more. :thumbup:

And by the way, my Harley is no longer taking up space in my garage.

I just bought my ST Limited the end of May. I have been riding my Harley Davidson FLHTI (Electraglide Standard) for the past 10 years, and my husband's Road King Classic for the past 15 years. (with others before that) The Spyder is a totally different ride. I loved my Harley. I REALLY love my Spyder.. I don't understand how people think. Just because I have been riding Harleys does not mean that I will only ride Harleys...Some of the other riders just don't want to give other rides a chance. Too bad, cause I bet some would really enjoy them. Jill

Bob Denman
06-18-2013, 04:48 PM
The other manufacturers are watching... :shocked:
Roger is right; Nothing is going to pop unless they figure out how to offer a significant improvement in either the pricing, or the features that are offered.
And I'd also place my money on Honda and Harley as watching with the keenest interest! :thumbup:

Cuffs19
06-18-2013, 05:14 PM
I would LOVE to see Harley put something out. Just to watch all those hard core Harley knuckleheads eat crow for a while......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

EnjoyingTheRyde
06-18-2013, 05:25 PM
When I told my HD ryding buddy I traded my Street Glide for a Spyder he just shook his head and walked away, that was about a month ago. This past weekend, he took my wifes RT-S out for a ryde while I followed with my ST-L... Love it! And REALLY like my new ryde...

Bob Ledford
06-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Some HD owners would never admit the Spyder would be a better deal if it bit themin the :cus: :p.........

daveinva
06-18-2013, 05:35 PM
:congrats: Only two years in myself but looking forward to many more!!!

We've talked it to death here at SL, but I still think the next big leap is the factory-built leaner reverse trike. IMO, that's the way for a Honda or an HD to distinguish itself in the marketplace. (Of course, HD did come out with its leaner concept even before the Spyder came out, but chose to build the Tri-Glide instead... that's my good ol' Harley, never missing an opportunity to fail to innovate :joke:)

The above is why I still think BRP will eventually come out with their own leaner, even at the cost of cannibalizing sales of its current Spyder architecture; BRP simply has to preempt any threat to its current dominance of the reverse trike market (as small as it is) if it wants the Spyder brand to survive and thrive.

retread
06-18-2013, 07:51 PM
My '08 GS was with me 4 years and 11 months, I traded it for my '12 RT-S, plan on quite a few years with it.

john

otter28169
06-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Five years ago when I told my brother and father I wanted a spyder they couldn't have been any more against it :lecturef_smilie:. I have had my spyder in the garage for less than a year, and both of them have since done an about-face :ohyea:. My Brother told me that he will have a spyder by next spring, and my father has already been shopping for his. It was a long 5 years for me, as I had to dream about the day I would finally get my own :banghead:. I will never be without one again.......

EVER !!!!
Just sayin'..............

Ga Blue Knight
06-18-2013, 09:00 PM
A Honda Goldwing reverse trike would have a significant advantage over the Spyder. Namely thousands of Goldwing and Goldwing trike owners. It already has a pretty bullet proof motor and chassis plus years of development and refinement. The big negative for Honda would be the price. I bet it would top $50,000 per unit. Regular GW trike conversions run a total , with bike, of upwards of $40,000. Unless the other manufactures can stay close to the Spyders value and performance they will stay away.

GeoffCee
06-18-2013, 09:43 PM
RE: Other brands coming out with a reverse trike. I am sure they are watching the :spyder2: very carefully. If the brand has survived five years--I believe there is a future. Honda is probably the one to watch since they are coming out with a lot of innovative stuff recently.

There have been rumors to that effect in the UK for some time. The story goes that (nameless) manufacturers have seen the sales success of the Spyders and are keen to jump into the reverse trike market. Don't hold your breath! ;)

PatGund
06-19-2013, 06:47 PM
I ran into a gentleman last week and he asked me how I could drive a vehicle that "everyone says" is difficult to steer. I did not get into technical aspects but just told him that I have had no such problems with any of the four :ani29:'s I have owned--which is true..

Funny you mention that. Friend of mine in Texas has a Burgman 400. When I first started talking about a Spyder, she suggested a hyperscooter like hers because "everyone knows how hard a Spyder is to steer."

I've not found it that problematic at all actually. *chuckle*

diesel-dawg
06-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Well, I have had my spyder for 2 months, working on 5 years. I am liking it more with each mile and each added month of ownership.

Ken