PDA

View Full Version : Review: Cycle Gear's Heat Out Base Layer clothing

bullant12
06-18-2013, 09:08 AM
http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#?p=Q&lbc=cyclegear&uid=630325467&ts=ajaxv2&w=heat%20out&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&modaf=a:brand:heatout

After last summer's many near de-hydration rides, we decided to try out Cycle Gear's Heat Out inner clothing gear. They usually have them on sale during the season, so bought the shorts, shirt and skull cap for each of us. We used it before the Owner's event ride for a practice run: the day was going to be a high of 91 degrees and humid. It was a good 6 hour trial run. These wear like spandex, but it feels very cool and fits snug. Wore them with mesh summer pants, a t-shirt and mesh jacket. Although we both broke sweats, it was nothing that we felt that we were going to faint or never got exhausted. Of course, we had our Butler mugs filled with ice water and hydrated at every scenic/fuel stop. We used them again going to and coming back from Maggie Valley, 420 miles each way. Never felt exhausted or tired, did sweat of course but it is natural at that kind of weather (sunny at 95 on the way to, overcast at 91 on the way back).

In short, we highly recommend it for long summer traveling. They are very forgiving as far as sweat odor: wash them with cold water during the evening, room temp drying and it is ready for the next trip! We even ran into a Cycle Gear store while on a fuel break and made a quick stop to buy 2 more sets.

Of course, hydration is the key issue to prevent heat exhaust.

PS They also make a similar product called Freeze Out for cold weather. They have it on sale during the cold seasons, but I haven't bought it. We will give it a shot as well once they go on sale.

kyace2003
06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks - I was looking for something like this and had no idea which ones are good/bad/ugly given the price it is worth a shot.

lookerjdc
06-18-2013, 12:59 PM
thanks for your comments - I get the Cycle Gear emails all the time and was wondering about their base layer stuff since its on sale

currin20fan
06-18-2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#?p=Q&lbc=cyclegear&uid=630325467&ts=ajaxv2&w=heat%20out&isort=score&method=and&view=grid&modaf=a:brand:heatout

After last summer's many near de-hydration rides, we decided to try out Cycle Gear's Heat Out inner clothing gear. They usually have them on sale during the season, so bought the shorts, shirt and skull cap for each of us. We used it before the Owner's event ride for a practice run: the day was going to be a high of 91 degrees and humid. It was a good 6 hour trial run. These wear like spandex, but it feels very cool and fits snug. Wore them with mesh summer pants, a t-shirt and mesh jacket. Although we both broke sweats, it was nothing that we felt that we were going to faint or never got exhausted. Of course, we had our Butler mugs filled with ice water and hydrated at every scenic/fuel stop. We used them again going to and coming back from Maggie Valley, 420 miles each way. Never felt exhausted or tired, did sweat of course but it is natural at that kind of weather (sunny at 95 on the way to, overcast at 91 on the way back).

In short, we highly recommended it for long summer traveling. They are very forgiving as far as sweat odor: wash them with cold water during the evening, room temp drying and it is ready for the next trip! We even ran into a Cycle Gear store while on a fuel break and made a quick stop to buy 2 more sets.

Of course, hydration is the key issue to prevent heat exhaust.

PS They also make a similar product called Freeze Out for cold weather. They have it on sale during the cold seasons, but I haven't bought it. We will give it a shot as well once they go on sale.

I have the Freeze out for cold weather and I really do like them. I didn't know about it for warmer weather. Thanks!