PDA

View Full Version : Early GS have T40 Torx drain plug

Tierhog
06-18-2013, 03:03 AM
After doing yet another oil change, I promised myself I'd take a picture to clear and confusion on this issue as many have stripped out the plug. Many early model GS Spyders have a T40 in the case and an Allen on the reservoir.

RS and late model GS appear to have the opposite.

Perhaps the aftermarket plugs (gold) are ideal to standardize. Just a FYI. :thumbup:

2 Cruysyn
06-18-2013, 06:32 AM
After doing yet another oil change, I promised myself I'd take a picture to clear and confusion on this issue as many have stripped out the plug. Many early model GS Spyders have a T40 in the case and an Allen on the reservoir.

RS and late model GS appear to have the opposite.

Perhaps the aftermarket plugs (gold) are ideal to standardize. Just a FYI. :thumbup:

That's the first thing I did. Gold (http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Motorcycle_Drain_Plugs/MP01.html) or Dimple (http://drainplugmagnets.com/canamspyder.php), your choice. Either way do yourself a favor and get that junk outa there!

Bob Denman
06-18-2013, 07:15 AM
I've been leaving the oil-changing chores for my dealer... :opps:
If I were to show up with some new plugs for those holes; would they have right to complain about it? :dontknow:
And since I haven't crawled under the bike to that point; exactly what do I need to order to make everything right and tight down there?
Thanks! :thumbup:

boborgera
06-18-2013, 07:33 AM
My Gs 08, bought, April of 08 both drain plugs [crankcase and oil tank] Were Allen..:dontknow:
And in 3+ years of changing my oil never had one strip....
Once you use a Torx on a Allen head and strip the head a little it'll look like a Torx head , And you'll will swear it was over tighten by someone [dealer]...

Tierhog
06-18-2013, 07:58 AM
I've been leaving the oil-changing chores for my dealer... :opps:
If I were to show up with some new plugs for those holes; would they have right to complain about it? :dontknow:
And since I haven't crawled under the bike to that point; exactly what do I need to order to make everything right and tight down there?

Here ya go Bob.. Ron's filter kit washers will fit... And I promised myself next time Ill have em on hand.
http://www.goldplug.com/motorcycle.html

Tierhog
06-18-2013, 08:01 AM
My Gs 08, bought, April of 08 both drain plugs [crankcase and oil tank] Were Allen..:dontknow:
And in 3+ years of changing my oil never had one strip....
Once you use a Torx on a Allen head and strip the head a little it'll look like a Torx head , And you'll will swear it was over tighten by someone [dealer]...

I don't know... Lol. Other GS guys said they discovered same setup as mine. Mine is OEM and clearly Torx. It's been pretty reliable too. 5 yrs of oil changes! :)

Maybe someday we will have a spyder VIN decoder. Would help us learn more. Could have been assembled that way by mistake (mine and others). :rolleyes:

Bob Denman
06-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Here ya go Bob.. Ron's filter kit washers will fit... And I promised myself next time Ill have em on hand.
http://www.goldplug.com/motorcycle.html

This'll be the first farkle I add once I'm back out of hot water... :shocked:

BajaRon
06-18-2013, 01:48 PM
I don't know... Lol. Other GS guys said they discovered same setup as mine. Mine is OEM and clearly Torx. It's been pretty reliable too. 5 yrs of oil changes! :)

Maybe someday we will have a spyder VIN decoder. Would help us learn more. Could have been assembled that way by mistake (mine and others). :rolleyes:

I've got a January 08 GS And mine too is Torx. Very reliable and over 30,000 miles with no issues on the drain plugs. People tend to get them too tight and in some cases, just assume they have an Allen when (on the early models) they have a Torx.

Once you run the wrong tool on the drain plug you're going to have issues. But then is it the drain plugs fault?

NancysToy
06-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Nancy's PE #2466 is March 2008, and is hex.

arntufun
06-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Nancy's PE #2466 is March 2008, and is hex.

Mine too..... #3494 :dontknow:

Sarge707
06-18-2013, 04:47 PM
The heads on the Gold Plugs are not the same size so you need two socket sizes!:yikes::banghead:

But I Love them.:roflblack:

Dudley
06-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Our 2008 SE5 had Allen, so does our RT SM5. Have always changed my own oil and have never had any issues with the plugs...and I have never used a torque wrench.

teadave
06-18-2013, 08:54 PM
PE#260 (October,2007) is hex...

Tierhog
06-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Hmmm. The great mystery. Only two of us so far. I torque mine... 150ish inch lbs I think.

BajaRon
06-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Hmmm. The great mystery. Only two of us so far. I torque mine... 150ish inch lbs I think.

Mine is #836. I've always wondered if people are using an Allen on the Torx. You can do it and it will work, to a point. My first oil change I took my plug out with an Allen wrench because I just assumed it was Allen. It wasn't until I had it in my hand that I realized it was a Torx.

NancysToy
06-19-2013, 06:59 AM
I suspect the aberration is just a supplier problem. I have purchased a package of fasteners a few times in the past where some of the fasteners were a different type, although they were the same size. I even got a package of screws once where a few of them had no threads. The bottom line is..."Be sure of the fastener type before putting a tool to it." A light and a mirror may be needed to see what your drain plugs are. If you want to march in step with the rest of us, or make both your plugs the same, you can purchase new drain plugs at your dealer.

bullant12
06-19-2013, 07:21 AM
...once I'm back out of hot water... :shocked:

Is this because of you latest farkle or because you had to send your :spyder2: to the Doc after the farkle installation?:D

Bob Denman
06-19-2013, 11:57 AM
:opps: Ummmmm... She caught me on a prior farkleization that I thought I had gotten past her... :opps: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif
I'm in the DogHouse so often, that the dog actually thinks that it's mine, and SHE'S the visitor! :roflblack:

bullant12
06-19-2013, 12:08 PM
:opps: Ummmmm... She caught me on a prior farkleization that I thought I had gotten past her... :opps: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif
I'm in the DogHouse so often, that the dog actually thinks that it's mine, and SHE'S the visitor! :roflblack:

At least you didn't have to sleep in the trailer...

70158:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: (yes... I am poking and laughing at myself!)

Bob Denman
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
:shocked: That does NOT look like the pictures in the Tourism Brochures! :shocked: :roflblack:

Tierhog
06-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Lol, classic! Love the steer!

BajaRon
06-19-2013, 05:03 PM
I suspect the aberration is just a supplier problem. I have purchased a package of fasteners a few times in the past where some of the fasteners were a different type, although they were the same size. I even got a package of screws once where a few of them had no threads. The bottom line is..."Be sure of the fastener type before putting a tool to it." A light and a mirror may be needed to see what your drain plugs are. If you want to march in step with the rest of us, or make both your plugs the same, you can purchase new drain plugs at your dealer.

I got a spark plug once and it had no threads. I told people it was a special racing quick connect plug. It kind of looked like a large version of the male end of an air hose connection. Amazing how many people believed me!

I've still got that around here somewhere...

NancysToy
06-19-2013, 05:12 PM
I got a spark plug once and it had no threads. I told people it was a special racing quick connect plug. It kind of looked like a large version of the male end of an air hose connection. Amazing how many people believed me!

I've still got that around here somewhere...

That's a classic! I hope it's there on your mantle.

Bob Denman
06-19-2013, 05:23 PM
I'd mount that on a Plaque, and hang it in the Garage... :thumbup:

BajaRon
06-19-2013, 06:07 PM
That's a classic! I hope it's there on your mantle.

I need to find that thing and take a picture of it. I was pretty surprised when I opened that box.

I'd mount that on a Plaque, and hang it in the Garage... :thumbup:

It should be.

StSpyder09
06-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Hi Everyone, decided its time to save a $100. and do my own oil change. Seemed simple enough until I discovered the plugs were torqued by The Hulk, and the one in the engine was on its last leg. So, now that its stripped. How do I get it out? Thanks for any help.:dontknow:

Street

NancysToy
06-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi Everyone, decided its time to save a $100. and do my own oil change. Seemed simple enough until I discovered the plugs were torqued by The Hulk, and the one in the engine was on its last leg. So, now that its stripped. How do I get it out? Thanks for any help.:dontknow:

Street

Easy-Out, chisel, vise-grips...there are lots of ways. Have the new plug handy before you try.

Bob Denman
06-24-2013, 07:03 AM
I've heard that it's possible to take a hammer and chisel :shocked: to it in order to loosen it up... Set the chisel into the buggered-up part of it, and start tapping... :yikes:

But frankly; that idea scares me almost as much as the thought of what the dealer would charge to do the same thing! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

StSpyder09
06-28-2013, 02:10 AM
I've heard that it's possible to take a hammer and chisel :shocked: to it in order to loosen it up... Set the chisel into the buggered-up part of it, and start tapping... :yikes:

But frankly; that idea scares me almost as much as the thought of what the dealer would charge to do the same thing! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

Hi All. Thanks again for your priceless assistance. I completed my first oil change on anything, and did it on my Spyder. Didn't really keep track of time took because of the amount of time I allowed it to drain and not getting the new plug until the next day. But it was worth it. (Gained some knowledge) and will continue to do my own. The previously stripped drain plug was the only glitch. I didn't trust myself tapping on my engine with a chisel, so I used pliers. Thanks again to all contributors.
:bowdown:

Tierhog
06-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Good to hear! :thumbup::)