PDA

View Full Version : Spyder RT on Amtrak Auto Train or mortorcycle transport suggestions?

SpyderHawke
06-18-2013, 12:11 AM
I need to get my RT to FL from NJ and was thinking of taking Amtrak's auto train for part of the trip.

There are a few old theads on this site where people talk about planning to take the Auto Train, but no one ever reported back as to how it went!

Has anyone done this with their RT? If so, how did it work out? Would you do it again?

The Amtrak website says I will have to sign a damage waiver if I do it so I am kinda paranoid about it...

I was going to ship the RT but motorcycleshippers.com gave me a quote of $1450 or so. That's nuts!

Still shopping for a reasonable transport company if anyone has any suggestions of a company that did them right.

Thanks much!

Corey

PS: If I do it, does anyone know offhand if the Spyder should be left in neutral or put in gear while on the train?

Chupaca
06-18-2013, 01:11 AM
but I'm sure you can find someone to drive it up for you..!!:roflblack: I would for food lodging and gas...:thumbup:

Tierhog
06-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Lol... I would too Chupaca. To bad we are Westies! Imagine how nice a ride that would be! :D

Ga Blue Knight
06-18-2013, 03:47 AM
Lol... I would too Chupaca. To bad we are Westies! Imagine how nice a ride that would be! :D

I-95 is not the Pacific Coast Highway! The route to FL from NJ is not the most enjoyable until you get to about halfway where it gets just boring. To really enjoy the ride you have to take secondary roads and while really beautiful and filled with lovely small towns it would be slow going.

Cuffs19
06-18-2013, 07:44 AM
I need to get my RT to FL from NJ and was thinking of taking Amtrak's auto train for part of the trip.

There are a few old theads on this site where people talk about planning to take the Auto Train, but no one ever reported back as to how it went!

Has anyone done this with their RT? If so, how did it work out? Would you do it again?

The Amtrak website says I will have to sign a damage waiver if I do it so I am kinda paranoid about it...

I was going to ship the RT but motorcycleshippers.com gave me a quote of $1450 or so. That's nuts!

Still shopping for a reasonable transport company if anyone has any suggestions of a company that did them right.

Thanks much!

Corey

PS: If I do it, does anyone know offhand if the Spyder should be left in neutral or put in gear while on the train?

Try a website called Uship.com. You post up what you want shipped and where you want it shipped to. Shipping/moving companies actually COMPETE for your business.

bullant12
06-18-2013, 07:46 AM
I believe Reggy Tan (tricled.com site sponsor here) has done it. Said it was nice but pricey.

shelbydave
06-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Is there a reason you don't just ride it?

MouthPiece
06-18-2013, 12:08 PM

Thanks much!

Corey

I've checked it out and decided it was too pricey to do. First, it will be Auto Train that you will be taking. Your route will be starting in (I can't think of the name of it) in Virginia near D.C. The drop point will be Sanford, Flarda, where I live. The price is right around $420.00. You can't have it dropped off say half way. You have to go the full distance. (which apparently is what you want to do if you are coming to Flarda).

I was going to Auto Train my spyder up to Virginia, and then ride it back to Maggie Valley and then Flarda.

Hope this helps. [Edit: Lorton, VA. is the name]

Chris

joet82
06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
I-95 is not the Pacific Coast Highway! The route to FL from NJ is not the most enjoyable until you get to about halfway where it gets just boring. To really enjoy the ride you have to take secondary roads and while really beautiful and filled with lovely small towns it would be slow going.

Hwy 1 is on my Ryde it list. From Key West to the tip of Maine! :-)

johnnyrocket
06-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Thanks much!

Corey

I have done it 3 times and will do it again if I need to go up north again. The price for the Spyder was $112 one way. I believe price depends on when you go and how close you make reservations.(like plane travel)No problems with damage any of the times. As Chris said, you need to start in Lorton Va. and get off in Sanford. No stops except for water for the engine(train that is). They will put it on he train for you and tie it down, .Any other questions send me a pm.

jerpinoy
06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
It will be a good ride if you take the long way Canada 1 west and catch US 101 pacific coast hwy then US 10 and pick up US 95 south.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.

rlynchtx
06-18-2013, 04:27 PM
I've used them a number of times for bikes, cars and my spyder. Don't be afraid to post a price you're willing to accept, even if it's much lower than what Uship shows as "average" for the trip (they illustrate this by "likelihood your bid will be accepted" -- just forget the low percentages -- they aren't accurate in my experience). Quite often you'll find someone who will take your price because they're traveling your route and have a spot that's going empty if they don't fill it with your bike. Plus they use a feedback system similar to Ebay's so you can see how good the carrier is before you accept their bid.

SpyderHawke
06-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Is there a reason you don't just ride it?

The problem is that when you go from New Jersey to Florida you either travel on 95 which is incredibly boring or you travel via Shenandoah National Park along the mountain ridge which is beautiful and great but takes a week. I'm hurting for time so I was trying to save myself a 95 trip, but 95 beats $1450. :)

Firefly
06-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Spyders are meant for riding... not shipping.... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kubie
06-27-2013, 11:16 AM
I just got back from my trip to PA and I used the auto Train. I used it Because I am recovering from a back problem and didn't think I could handle the Road trip, and I needed to get my Spyder there! So it was ether load up the truck and trailer and haul my Spyder or put it on the train. ("I chose well!")

First I will tell you I spent 560.00 for a round trip ticket for me and my Ryde! witch I don't think is to bad! it would have cost me twice that, if not more if I took the truck and hauled it!

When you show up at the station they ask your name and tell you were to park the Spyder. The only thing that sucks about this is you have to leave your key in the Spyder because they load it last when they load the bikes! Then you go inside the terminal and check in and pick your time to eat 5:00, 7:00 or 9:00, then the wait till boarding. witch will start at 2:30 pm train leaves at 4:00 pm the food is very good I had the beef on the way up to PA. and the Cod on the way back to FL. both very tasty. It was a nice ryde. the seats were comfortable. but I'm 6'4" so not good for sleeping for me. But the seat reclines and the bottom folds up like a recliner for your feet. there is a lounge car that's open till 11:00 Pm. for drinks and a Continental Breakfast in the morning. the meals are included in the price and the lounge is not! LOL! you can carry on two small bags. I took water and snakes with me. At around 9:00 am you arrive. I say that because they tell you that you will leave at 4:00 pm and arrive at 9:30 am, but on the way up we got there at 9:00 am and on the way back we got here at 8:30 am both times early! then you just deboard and wait till they bring your Spyder off the train and your on your way... No fuss no Muss! (Well worth the Price) IMO!!!

asp125
06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
........I took water and snakes with me....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ODHCXXFwL._SX500_.jpg

:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

I wish Amtrak would run an auto train east/west. :(

MouthPiece
06-27-2013, 12:44 PM
I just got back from my trip to PA and I used the auto Train. I used it Because I am recovering from a back problem and didn't think I could handle the Road trip, and I needed to get my Spyder there! So it was ether load up the truck and trailer and haul my Spyder or put it on the train. ("I chose well!")

First I will tell you I spent 560.00 for a round trip ticket for me and my Ryde! witch I don't think is to bad! it would have cost me twice that, if not more if I took the truck and hauled it!

When you show up at the station they ask your name and tell you were to park the Spyder. The only thing that sucks about this is you have to leave your key in the Spyder because they load it last when they load the bikes! Then you go inside the terminal and check in and pick your time to eat 5:00, 7:00 or 9:00, then the wait till boarding. witch will start at 2:30 pm train leaves at 4:00 pm the food is very good I had the beef on the way up to PA. and the Cod on the way back to FL. both very tasty. It was a nice ryde. the seats were comfortable. but I'm 6'4" so not good for sleeping for me. But the seat reclines and the bottom folds up like a recliner for your feet. there is a lounge car that's open till 11:00 Pm. for drinks and a Continental Breakfast in the morning. the meals are included in the price and the lounge is not! LOL! you can carry on two small bags. I took water and snakes with me. At around 9:00 am you arrive. I say that because they tell you that you will leave at 4:00 pm and arrive at 9:30 am, but on the way up we got there at 9:00 am and on the way back we got here at 8:30 am both times early! then you just deboard and wait till they bring your Spyder off the train and your on your way... No fuss no Muss! (Well worth the Price) IMO!!!

Thank you for this nice write up. It has given me a different perspective. I think I may just do this when I find that I have about a week for myself. Taking the train up to Lorton would allow me a lot more time to smell the roses on the way back.

Thanks again.

Chris