PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint Recall

thrinsag
06-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I have been hearing there is a BRP recall on the ball joints for the ST (among others). I have looked for this on BRP sites and the govt NTSB site but no luck. My Spyder rides like it is on ice, it seems to have a high center of gravity. Though I love the looks and feel of it, and want to get so used to it I can ride it as well as I can ride my trike (VTX1800C, I am a little afraid of it, especially meeting another vehicle in a curve. Supposedly the ball joint change will alleviate that. Any info would be much appreciated.

rayeade
06-17-2013, 03:53 PM
If yours is a 2013 model year then I think it applies. You should have your dealer check the VIN to see if it applies, mine was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chupaca
06-17-2013, 03:56 PM
all you have to do is run by a dealer and let them run your vin# through their system and they can see if your unit has all the updates, be it software or physical parts. They can hook it up to the BUDS system and see if you are having any other problems causing your problem...this would be the best way imho...:dontknow:

krazykat
06-17-2013, 03:56 PM
I have been hearing there is a BRP recall on the ball joints for the ST (among others). I have looked for this on BRP sites and the govt NTSB site but no luck. My Spyder rides like it is on ice, it seems to have a high center of gravity. Though I love the looks and feel of it, and want to get so used to it I can ride it as well as I can ride my trike (VTX1800C, I am a little afraid of it, especially meeting another vehicle in a curve. Supposedly the ball joint change will alleviate that. Any info would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure if there ever was an "official" recall, but mine were changed a couple of months ago and it made all the difference in the world. Check with your dealer and he can advise you.....

bullant12
06-17-2013, 04:56 PM
The ball joint replacement is a Service Bulletin, not a recall. Recalls are pushed by NTSB, service bulletins are done by the manufacturer. That is why you will not find it online. Best place to find it is in dealers.

thrinsag
06-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks everyone. I didn't know the difference between a recall and a service bulletin, however it makes perfect sense when you think about it. My ST is in the dealer right now getting the 600 mile service. I will check with them. Thanks again.

Saluda
06-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Mine were changed prior to picking up our machine.

Green RSS
06-18-2013, 09:56 PM
The ball joint replacement is a Service Bulletin, not a recall. Recalls are pushed by NTSB, service bulletins are done by the manufacturer. That is why you will not find it online. Best place to find it is in dealers.
Absolutely correct. The dealer should be willing to replace the ball joints for you if you ask. My dealer was glad to do it, even though my 2013 was no where near as bad as some people say there's was (like the OP "on ice").

thrinsag
06-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeppers!! Called the dealer where my ST was purchased and it was confirmed that he does need to replace the ball joints. The issue came about because my dealer had to get my particular model (only the basic) from another dealer. But that unit was still in the crate and had to be put together. So when my dealer got the unit, it seems that little aspect of customer service was forgotten by the second dealer. My ST is currently in the shop having the ball joint service bulletin completed. Thanks to all of you, no telling how long I would have ridden this thing without knowing. Thanks again!

bullant12
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Great to hear the news thrinsag! Keep us posted!

Big Arm
06-20-2013, 03:39 PM
:clap: Let us know how much better the ride is after you get it back

Edsts
06-20-2013, 09:24 PM
Assuming you just got your sts couple month ago , the dealer should had the Ball joints done ! Others are very correct I picked up my sts in April and I ask of any recalls or service issues , they advise me the ball joints were being change before my pick up date !

thrinsag
06-23-2013, 04:41 PM
Got it back and my Honda vtx1800c trike couldn't hold a candle to it. Now it is so smooth with new ball joints compared to what it was, I feel like I could take a nap on it. Kidding of course. However, I do have a grinding/rubbing/scraping sound coming from the left wheel when making a hard turn. At first I just thought it was the brake pads seating or some such stuff, and I hope that is the case, but I read somewhere that there was once a problem with a wheel coming off? I counted this issue to be

thrinsag
06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks again and 5thanks for your patience. No more scraping rubbing sound when making turns. Must have been the brake pads settling in.

Magdave
07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Does anyone have the VIN range for the affected RT's? Mine was born on 3/20/13 and the dealer says it is outside of the VIN range. Thanks

ATC Lorrie
07-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Just came back from Dealer. They heard nothing about this.. Looked up the Bulletin and to my surprise it said all 2013's Was expecting it to say only the ST

ATC Lorrie
07-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Mines not included