PDA

View Full Version : I must get back some day

rnet
06-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Back home from Alaska yesterday and I must admit, the scenery in Alaska is second to none. Now I have lived in upstate NY for 45 years and have been in the Adirondacks lots and live in the Catskills. but the Alaskan range is just incredible. Hope to get back someday on the bike or trike. Sorry I could not visit with AKspyderman, but did talk to his wife. I would recommend this trip to anyone. I did have a chance to talk with Libby Riddles. Now who can tell me who she is without goggle? Ladies one of your hero's.

Bob Denman
06-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Glad that you're back! :2thumbs::yes::ohyea::yes:
Didja miss us? :shocked: ;)

ARtraveler
06-17-2013, 02:43 PM
It was great talking with you--sorry we could not connect this time. Maybe next time. :thumbup:

Glad you got to meet Libby Riddles in person. She is an icon--but I won't steal your Thunder.

rnet
06-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Sure did, but I cheated. Had my laptop and was able to use it the first 5 days till I got to the ship.:thumbup:

arntufun
06-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Back home from Alaska yesterday and I must admit, the scenery in Alaska is second to none. Now I have lived in upstate NY for 45 years and have been in the Adirondacks lots and live in the Catskills. but the Alaskan range is just incredible. Hope to get back someday on the bike or trike. Sorry I could not visit with AKspyderman, but did talk to his wife. I would recommend this trip to anyone. I did have a chance to talk with Libby Riddles. Now who can tell me who she is without goggle? Ladies one of your hero's.

Libby is a brand of canned Vegetables........ :roflblack: Did I win ??????

rnet
06-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Nope. :roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-17-2013, 05:12 PM
I actually know this one...
Sled-Dog musher and breeder.
I even think that she won the Iditarod race waaaaayyy before it was a popular thing for women to do...

rnet
06-17-2013, 05:37 PM
I actually know this one...
Sled-Dog musher and breeder.
I even think that she won the Iditarod race waaaaayyy before it was a popular thing for women to do... Winner, ding ding ding an incredible life story and what she went through to win the first Iditarod won by a women in 1985. Now goggle it, it is an amazing story. I also met David Monson, husband of Susan Butcher and she was the second women iditerod winner, winning 4 out of 5 in the late 80s right after Liddy. Susan died in 2006 from leukemia.

JJW SpyderRider
06-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounds like you had a good time!

My wife and I are going in August.

Vancouver
The inside passage
Juneau
Skagway
White Horse
Beaver Creek
Fairbanks
Denali
Kenai Peninsula
Kenai Fjords
Anchorage

Yazz
06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
O.k., I bit and googled Libby Riddles, and remember Susan Butcher. What great ladies! Never heard that Susan died soon after...

Have talked with ladies from WWII who flew stateside for the war. (Thats another can of beans...) But to learn about other gals who pushed the envelope is inspiring.

How were you able to hook up with Libby and David?

And yes, Hubby and I went to Alaska and put it back on our bucket list for "one more time..."

rnet
06-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Had an outstanding time, our itinerary was Fairbanks going south to Vancouver on a Princess Cruise tour. I've been on better ships, but princess does have the itinerary down, with just an incredible view of Denali from the Mt McKinley Lodge. Notice I called the highest Mountain in the US Denali, that is what the state of Alaska calls it named by the native Indians. Don't really care that the US congress named it after a politician running for president and lost. Have a great time, hopefully you will get to Ketchikan and Creek St.

Yazz
06-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Our ferry had a stop in Ketchikan on our way up. Had to change boats so was able to get the bikes out for a run. Got to see the Totem poles and a native interpreted the poles for us. Too cool!

Was in Fairbanks for two days getting ready for the journey north. Kick myself now that I didn't do my homework :banghead:

Ummm, where is Creek Street? I'm directionally challenged...

rnet
06-17-2013, 08:05 PM
O.k., I bit and googled Libby Riddles, and remember Susan Butcher. What great ladies! Never heard that Susan died soon after...

Have talked with ladies from WWII who flew stateside for the war. (Thats another can of beans...) But to learn about other gals who pushed the envelope is inspiring.

How were you able to hook up with Libby and David?

And yes, Hubby and I went to Alaska and put it back on our bucket list for "one more time..."David I met the second day in Fairbanks on an excursion down the Chena river on a steamwheeler and his dog camp was part of it. My wife bought one of Susan Butchers children's book and he was there and signed it. Of course he is retired from Mushing himself and this is how he now makes his living. Libby Riddles does public speaking in support of Alaska and it's history as well as hers and she was on the ship we were on and told her story and incredible it was. Have you ever read that she lost her dog team the first day of her winning iditarod. The dogs had pulled loose from where she had tied them, broke off the tree, she lunged and grabed the tree to be dragged for 3-4 miles before she could not hang on any more. Then began to run for 5 miles before she caught back up to them, another team had tied them up. Then on the next to last day in a storm that no one else set of into, she did, she had to hunker down in -55F that night and using her survival skills, slept through the night and was the move that won it for her.

rnet
06-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Our ferry had a stop in Ketchikan on our way up. Had to change boats so was able to get the bikes out for a run. Got to see the Totem poles and a native interpreted the poles for us. Too cool!

Was in Fairbanks for two days getting ready for the journey north. Kick myself now that I didn't do my homework :banghead:

Ummm, where is Creek Street? I'm directionally challenged...You went to Saxman village, I did as well. You drove right past it when you were downtown, one block away from the pink U.S. building. Oldest road in Ketchikan, built half over the creek. Lots of history on that street.

Bob Denman
06-17-2013, 08:46 PM
You DO realize that we're going to need to see some really neat pictures of this trip... :shocked:

rnet
06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
yep and I have them, but Bob you may have to come down and help me. Tried already and one pic says to big of file. I will try to get my boys to help.

mxz600
06-18-2013, 08:16 AM
yep and I have them, but Bob you may have to come down and help me. Tried already and one pic says to big of file. I will try to get my boys to help.
If you can't figure out how to resize using your editing software you can always email it to yourself. When you email a picture it will (should) give you an option to resize the photo.

It sounds like you had a good time in the great state of Alaska.

It's been 40 years for me. I really need to get back for a visit. I didn't take many photos and the memories are starting to fade.

JJW SpyderRider
06-18-2013, 05:52 PM

Here is a link to a site that will resize the photos for you.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/