PDA

View Full Version : What do these really cost?

AMTJIM
06-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I am interested in one, but after googling can am spyder and visiting the local stealership.....the price ranges from 13,500 to the dealership wanting 15,500 plus some mandatory 2500 "BRP" mark-up...what's the deal?

jimjel
06-11-2008, 08:55 AM
the $15,500 is legitimate. The $2500 Mandatory BRP markup is gouge. Find an honest dealer.

Jim

dltang
06-11-2008, 09:07 AM
I am interested in one, but after googling can am spyder and visiting the local stealership.....the price ranges from 13,500 to the dealership wanting 15,500 plus some mandatory 2500 "BRP" mark-up...what's the deal?

According to the official BRP website here is the pricing as of Dec. 1st, 2007.
SM5 MSRP $15499 US Dollars
SE5 MSRP $16999 US Dollars
Yellow or Red Color option additional $400 US Dollars

Freight, tax, license, registration and dealer prep are all state and dealer dependent.

When we ordered ours last fall the base price for the silver was $14999 and I walked out of my dealership paying $16800 and that included 6% MI sales tax, title, registrations, plates and installation charges for the 1" riser block and the 12V in the trunk and all parts and prep work. I think I did pretty well.

Now as for what it is costing me now in aftermarket goodies, that is another story. The list goes on and on.

Lamonster
06-11-2008, 09:50 AM

There's no reason for a dealer to sell less than MSRP right now so if you can find a Spyder for $13,500 I would jump on it. :doorag:

mimisargent
06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
You can by mine 4 14800 I live in NYC it has 240 miles 1 month old

Napalmseth
06-11-2008, 01:04 PM
As much as I love my :spyder:. I was bent over when i bought mine. I got mine from a dealer that was on the testing team in Canada. I figure I would get a good deal on it, didnt shop it around at all, and ended up paying 22,000 for mine.

LittleJohn
06-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Ordered Silver 04.05.2008 $15499.00. Spyder came in at dealer 06.07.2008. Dealer prep.& freight is $694.00 +TTL=$17325.58 drive out. Gene's Powersports Country Baytown,Texas. This is the wife's SPYDER :a18:

YAY!!!! Maybe mine will show up in Conroe soon then!!!!

AMTJIM
06-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanx for the info...I think I will harrass them again, stir up some trouble and then go outta town to get one! At least I got to put 70 mls on one for free :bigthumbsup:

TonyMac
06-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Met you in San Antonio at test ride.I thought you would beat me.When & what did you order?

Hey Guys

I'm going to Joe Harrison's in San Antonio this Friday (6/13) as they are supposed to have the demo units in for test drives. Were any San Antonio folks going to be there?

Tony

GA-SPYDER
06-11-2008, 11:12 PM

Paid 15,999 at a dealer in Charleston, SC yesterday mourning. The salesman said that it was their demo bike( still in the crate). They had two of the program demo bikes that i test drove. After he sold it to me, he said that he had screwed up and was not supposed to sell it. Sure am glad he screwed up. Just th ecolor I wanted :bigthumbsup:

AMTJIM
06-12-2008, 06:53 AM
New question, who is financing these...the stealership...once again...says they can't find financing. They are limited to their own sister Harley Davidson store financing or Eagle bank, Eagle financing...something along those lines. What happened top Can-Am financing?

NancysToy
06-12-2008, 06:58 AM
What happened top Can-Am financing?

I'm not sure there ever was any such thing. Our dealer never offered it, said there was none, although he did have some other financing options available. Other dealers here in Michigan told us exactly the same. We hit our own credit union, instead. Even cheaper than our home equity loan.
-Scotty

LittleJohn
06-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Met you in San Antonio at test ride.I thought you would beat me.When & what did you order?

Ive got the first deposit at Pro Powersports in Conroe. Believe it or not, Im supposed to have my choice of the first ones off the truck, regardless of color. I called alst night but they were busy. The Manager was gonna check Bossweb and get back with me today to see if there were any updates. I actually had my deposit in before I test drove them. Glad you got yours!!!
You were the guy that test drove the SE5 correct?

LADREW
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
The Spyder is very over priced and dealers have been marking them up way beyond reason. I bought one and enjoyed it before selling it but I think the way CAN AM is releasing them has created a false hype especially once the dealer puts a certain level of greed into making a profit. I think between CAN AM, dealers, and the economy they have actually killed a few peoples dreams of owning a Spyder with no special financing and over pricing. Here is the cost of a Spyder broken down for those who really want to know.

Full Moon Color SM5

Dealer net: $12399

Hold back: $795

Dealer invoice: $13174

MSRP: $15499

If you are smart enough to do the math there is a $2500 profit before the dealer even marks it up and so forth. Alot of dealer are trying to charge $2500 for setup, shipping, and so forth which leads to almost a $6000 dollar profit.

If you are going to buy a Spyder I would do the math and hand the seller a piece of paper with an offer of no more than $16500 which is very reasonable. Please pass this on to prospective buyers and buddies to keep the prices fair.

AMTJIM
06-12-2008, 01:42 PM
I am having a hard time justifying the cost...My fully loaded Caliber was 15,500(not bad), My SV1000S was 7500(still overpriced)...I look at a quad...they only run about 7500 max...I watch the BRP Can Am Spyder DVD...see the construction and materials under the plastic....look at my SV, look at the Caliber, look at a quad....I just don't see the price when you consider the materials and options of a spyder VS a car, motorcycle or quad.

tatt2r
06-12-2008, 03:09 PM
paid 15400.00 well worth it ... like anything else you want it pay for it don't want it don't pay for it ... i own a hummer h2 i paid 60,000.00 for, couldn't get 10,000.00 now was it worth it with gas prices up ...no ... but i love the truck to me worth every penny ... and you can't compare the spyder to a quad ..... the enjoyment i get from riding it is worth it ...and always remember you only live once.......

bjt
06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
I am having a hard time justifying the cost...My fully loaded Caliber was 15,500(not bad), My SV1000S was 7500(still overpriced)...I look at a quad...they only run about 7500 max...I watch the BRP Can Am Spyder DVD...see the construction and materials under the plastic....look at my SV, look at the Caliber, look at a quad....I just don't see the price when you consider the materials and options of a spyder VS a car, motorcycle or quad.

:dontknow: I don't see how you can compare the cost of the Spyder to those other vehicles. If there was another 3 wheeler out there with similar features, then you would have something to compare the Spyder to. Trying to compare the price to a motorcylce or quad that doesn't have the same safety and handling features isn't fair. It's like comparing the price of a fully loaded car to it's bare bones twin. Extras like ABS, traction control, etc. cost more.

tatt2r
06-13-2008, 12:10 PM
the "T-REX" maybe comes close .... i talked with a guy who owns one ...he paid $50,000.00 for it doesn't have half the safety features as the spyder ... basically a kit car built from a 1200 kawy reverse is moused .... he also told me the way windshield is the inside temp is always 20 degrees hotter than out side temp .... you need to take steering wheel off to get in and out... yes maybe more car than bike and spyder more bike than car but all and all for the money he said he would have bought spyder and may still ....

LittleJohn
06-13-2008, 03:21 PM
No I was the guy (from Houston) with his wife & her 2 sisters. Her one sister went throw the cones 3 times she rode a red one in the test ride. On the ride I was 2nd in line on a silver one (the one to get in trouble for the burn out).Glad to hear you are getting close. We were like 4th or 5th to put down money but the 1st to come in.My wife spyder & a demo for the dealer.

Ahhh I remember now!!!!
They were the two just in front of me and my friend.
Glad your riding, I hiope that means Ill be picking mine up soon, as it seems all the TX dealers are getting them now.

AMTJIM
06-13-2008, 03:41 PM
OK...so I finally tracked it down. The owner of the "Ride Now" stealerships in Arizona is demanding $2500 on top of a non-negotiable $15900 price tag. Even suggesting to them I am going out of state to buy, they don't care...After relaying to them all the info I googled on the internet on the spyder and prices...they keep insisting they are exclusive and one of only 17 dealers in the US (and the only ones in Arizona)that carries this machine...price stands. What a joke!

bjt
06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
OK...so I finally tracked it down. The owner of the "Ride Now" stealerships in Arizona is demanding $2500 on top of a non-negotiable $15900 price tag. Even suggesting to them I am going out of state to buy, they don't care...After relaying to them all the info I googled on the internet on the spyder and prices...they keep insisting they are exclusive and one of only 17 dealers in the US (and the only ones in Arizona)that carries this machine...price stands. What a joke!

On that note, stay away from those guys. Blatant lies or ignorance now couldn't bode well for you if you needed them for something after you purchased from them.

AMTJIM
06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Sooooo...RideNow called and left a message...They are graciously reducing the 2500.00 premium to 1000.00..."If I am still interested"...They have several units available here...whats a fair price once I pummel the last 1000.00 premium off the sales bill? Monsoon is coming, throw in the cover for free?

LittleJohn
06-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately, there were ALOT of dealers that took advantage of the non-refundable deposits to overcharge at delivery. I personally, after hearing of this, refused to put down ANY non-refundable money until I got a price in writing.
I ended up with the following deal
MSRP $15499 (plus the 400 differential if I went with yellow or red)
Dealer prep/shipping of $595
TTL (varies by state but is non-negtiable)
A coupe "doc fees" and stuff adding up to about $75.

Since the actual deal I just closed today was on their demo unit (silver with 96 miles on it) I got them to waive the dealer prep. Ill get a full warranty as if I was picking up a new bike, and asked that they hook it up to the computer to show that there have been no horrible exceeedances on RPM or other during the demo rides.

I figure 96 miles was a good tradeoff for the $595, and I got the bike bugs woked out already!

trikester
06-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I paid about $3K over $15,900 and that was what I talked them down to! All because I trusted the dealer and didn't get a written OTD price quote before putting down my deposit. :'(

Live and learn - but one would think that by age 73 I would have learned a long time ago.

Frank

ataDude
06-27-2008, 05:18 PM
...Live and learn - but one would think that by age 73 I would have learned a long time ago.

Frank

Yes and no. You're still hopeful that a "handshake" means a solid deal, just like me. If it's not, then I'm not a return customer or one who gives references. If fact, I may give negative references... haven't had to do that, yet, though. :bigthumbsup:

AMTJIM
06-27-2008, 11:15 PM
They caved, I was in the same cave....Dodge Caliber didn't make it...Neither did the Suzuki SV1000S...Barely made it out alive with #2105.

Magic Man
06-28-2008, 05:52 AM
Since the actual deal I just closed today was on their demo unit (silver with 96 miles on it) I got them to waive the dealer prep. Ill get a full warranty as if I was picking up a new bike, and asked that they hook it up to the computer to show that there have been no horrible exceeedances on RPM or other during the demo rides.

I figure 96 miles was a good tradeoff for the $595, and I got the bike bugs woked out already!
[/quote]

LittleJohn,

How is this dealer able to get rid of his Demo unit? I was told as terms of being a Spyder dealer they had to maintain a demo unit on hand at all times for people to see and ride?

If this dealer can sell his demo and not get in trouble with BRP, than other dealers should be able to do so too? If that is the case, this just opened up a whole bunch of other units across the nation for other poor souls that have been waiting and waiting. Which is GREAT news!

MM

NautiBrit
06-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm in Arizona and went through the Ridenow fiasco. I ended up online with a dealer in Lake Havasu that was easy to deal with and fair. I have a red SM5 on order.

Napalmseth
06-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Some high volume dealers have more than one demo. My dealer was able to sell their demo PE Spyder because they replaced it with a non PE model.

speedster200
06-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Get a quote before hand so there is no misunderstanding. As far as the nonrefundable deposit is concerned the dealer is billed the 1k as soon as the voucher is generated.

LittleJohn
06-30-2008, 08:08 AM

LittleJohn,

How is this dealer able to get rid of his Demo unit? I was told as terms of being a Spyder dealer they had to maintain a demo unit on hand at all times for people to see and ride?

If this dealer can sell his demo and not get in trouble with BRP, than other dealers should be able to do so too? If that is the case, this just opened up a whole bunch of other units across the nation for other poor souls that have been waiting and waiting. Which is GREAT news!

MM

I didnt ask if or how they could sell it. I think theyre offering me the Demo at a reduced rate due to the promises they made me from the start, without knowing they wouldnt be able to live up to those promises. It keeps them from reneging on the promise, and keeps me happy and a customer!!!!