PDA

View Full Version : FYI: CA Motorcycle Law & Insurance Requirements

Bonniele
06-16-2013, 11:18 PM
CA does not at this time require a motorcycle license for Can-Am Spyders. But after 8 months owning and insuring our two Spyders, 10 states and 10,000 plus miles of our ryding, our insurance is requiring we act within 30 days in taking a motorcycle class consisting of 5 hrs of classroom instruction and 10 hours of riding instruction at $250.00 each person. No refunds for cancellations, $50.00 to reschedule. Only one company gives these classes within a 200+ mile radius. All classes take 1/2 day each day for 3 days to complete. AND, the riding has to be on a 2 wheeler - which the company will furnish. Take your own lunch or snacks and water.

Blue Star
06-16-2013, 11:27 PM
CA does not at this time require a motorcycle license for Can-Am Spyders. But after 8 months owning and insuring our two Spyders, 10 states and 10,000 plus miles of our ryding, our insurance is requiring we act within 30 days in taking a motorcycle class consisting of 5 hrs of classroom instruction and 10 hours of riding instruction at $250.00 each person. No refunds for cancellations, $50.00 to reschedule. Only one company gives these classes within a 200+ mile radius. All classes take 1/2 day each day for 3 days to complete. AND, the riding has to be on a 2 wheeler - which the company will furnish. Take your own lunch or snacks and water.

What insurance carrier is this? I have GMAC, and do not (as of yet) need to fill these requirements.

Bonniele
06-16-2013, 11:31 PM
What insurance carrier is this? I have GMAC, and do not (as of yet) need to fill these requirements.

GMAC insurance...give me more info. Full name of it? May need to check these changes. I do know of another person with another insurance that also received a letter requiring the same. Might be a new thing with the insurance companies in CA?

Red angel
06-16-2013, 11:31 PM

I do not know where in Ca. You are located for your information Cerritos Junior College offers a course and I understand they are offered at various Junior Colleges. When myself and my wife took these classes were allowed to take them on scooters which they furnished.

Chupaca
06-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Have not heard..we have state farm..will wait and see..thanks for the heads up..!! :dontknow:

Bonniele
06-16-2013, 11:50 PM
I do not know where in Ca. You are located for your information Cerritos Junior College offers a course and I understand they are offered at various Junior Colleges. When myself and my wife took these classes were allowed to take them on scooters which they furnished.

We are about 350 miles north of San Francisco on the coast. McKinleyville is north of Eureka, CA about 18 miles.

Red angel
06-17-2013, 12:04 AM
We are about 350 miles north of San Francisco on the coast. McKinleyville is north of Eureka, CA about 18 miles.

Suggest you check with the colleges in Eureka.

Tierhog
06-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Not required in valley. I have Nationwide. Sounds like an insurance agency issue. Not to take anything away from a MSC or M1, but some of these crazy insurance companies like to make you jump through hoops to minimize presumed risk.

MRH
06-17-2013, 12:40 AM
I took the Motorcycle Safety Course, and would recommend it to anybody who rides. Two wheels are very different than three, but I did really appreciate the chance to get to ride on two and learn some of those skills. My M1 license will also save me on insurance down the line.

Geico does not require this, and for me they had the best rates. It would seem reasonable to me that an insurance carrier can choose to require it for a new term for a policy, and that we have the option of choosing another carrier if we don't like the conditions. Being in Los Angeles, this isn't much of an issue in terms of finding classes, but where you are I can see that it is a much more difficult issue. In the big scheme of things, with what we spend on maintenance and the Spyders themselves, the money doesn't sound like a major issue to me (it costs just a little more than dealing with a burnt out headlight at a dealer).

Those are my thoughts, for whatever value they may have. I think you'll really benefit from the course (well, I did, at least). If you don't want to deal with it, call around to other insurance companies, you may even be able to get a better deal!

Oldmanzues
06-17-2013, 12:49 AM
I do not know who puts courese on in CA. I live in Ohio. Motorcycle Safety foundation coures are very good to attend, but I am very concerned about a trend like this. A special course for sports cars, performance cars, ATVs or anything else.
I would be interested in where the letter came from, home office or a agent and of course the company.
Oldmanzues

Blue Star
06-17-2013, 11:55 AM
I took the Motorcycle Safety Course, and would recommend it to anybody who rides.

:agree: and think every rider should take a course, but not because an insurance company requires it.

Blue Star
06-17-2013, 11:59 AM
GMAC insurance...give me more info. Full name of it? May need to check these changes. I do know of another person with another insurance that also received a letter requiring the same. Might be a new thing with the insurance companies in CA?

Full name is GMAC Insurance, and web site is www.gmacinsurance.com.

Jeriatric
06-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Have not heard..we have state farm..will wait and see..thanks for the heads up..!! :dontknow:

The twist may be that the OP does not currently have a M1 endorsement. (If, I didn't misread the post)

Insured through State Farm, have M1 endorsement, and haven't received a notice to comply.

Yet? :dontknow:

bobnaquin
06-17-2013, 12:27 PM
I took this course when I got my first Spyder as it was my first motorcycle/whatever. It was worth every dime and some of the habits they taught me there are still in place. I would look around and just bet that there are courses closer to you than 200 miles. Ask a few motorcycle shops.I found it worth it no matter what the insurance company wants.

Firefly
06-17-2013, 01:10 PM
I would counter that taking a 2-wheeled class is ridiculous since you have a 3 wheeler. Taking a class is a good idea... but it needs to be done on the vehicle that you'll be riding IMO.

I'd tell the insurance company to stick it.

stevedfive
06-17-2013, 01:16 PM
:agree:
I would sell the Spyder before I would take a safety class for a 2 wheeler. I am not against taking a motorcycle safety class, but am against taking a class for a 2 wheeled motorcycle that I will never own or ride.

2 Cruysyn
06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
The twist may be that the OP does not currently have a M1 endorsement. (If, I didn't misread the post)

Insured through State Farm, have M1 endorsement, and haven't received a notice to comply.

Good point. Seems to me though on page three of the 2013 Motorcycle Handbook under "License Requirements"

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motor-cycle.

waves the requirement for an endorsement. Therefore, I wonder if the OP's insurance company requires of their policy holders that all holders of a class C license take a driving course?

ARtraveler
06-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Interesting! I am guessing answers will vary by state.

Here: No course required--but if you do not take a MSF safety course, you must take the driving test on your motorcycle or three wheeler. Pass the MSF course, and you get your endorsement when you have passed the written test.

There is a separate endorsement for three wheels and two wheels. If you have the two wheeled endorsement--you don't need three. If you take the test on a three wheeler, you get the three wheel endorsement and would have to re-take if you wanted a two wheel endorsement.

My insurer is State Farm.

bruiser
06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Wouldn't doubt this from State Farm. I dropped them after 40 years for other reasons, one being they wouldn't insure our first Spyder. Check with www.msf-usa.org. This is the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. They conduct classes all over the USA. I can't see where the insurance company can tell you where and from whom to take the course. Some MSF courses are offered on trikes.

Jeriatric
06-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Good point. Seems to me though on page three of the 2013 Motorcycle Handbook under "License Requirements"

NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motor-cycle.

waves the requirement for an endorsement. Therefore, I wonder if the OP's insurance company requires of their policy holders that all holders of a class C license take a driving course?

That's what it sounds like to me. But who knows. Many months after first insuring my spyder with State Farm. They sent me a form to fill out. They wanted a copy of my M1 licence. Which I have, but didn't comply and simply wrote across their request that a motorcycle licence for the Spyder was not required in Ca.. Never heard back from them.

ARtraveler
06-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Wow! guess I am one of the few that actually likes State Farm. Been a customer since 1965. Never been hassled and they have always paid promptly on the few claims I have had.

Jeriatric
06-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Wow! guess I am one of the few that actually likes State Farm. Been a customer since 1965. Never been hassled and they have always paid promptly on the few claims I have had.

Been with them over 50 years myself. No problems here.

redlightron
06-17-2013, 03:46 PM
I have Three A of California and have had them for 45 yrs and they do not require a training class but I do have M1 since I did ride HD's for a number of years. Any training class if worth the money if it is close to your residence but I do agree the difference between 2 wheels and 3 wheels is big and I do not know anyone who is teaching a 3 wheel course yet.

Doc45
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm also with State Farm for 40 some odd years. Have all my insurance through the same agent. I've had Michigan cycle endorsement for 30 years. Never had State Farm tell me I needed a safety course. Maybe it's time to look for a new agent. Just sayin'.......

Blue Star
06-17-2013, 05:00 PM

I do not have a M1 either.

SPYD3R
06-17-2013, 05:21 PM
:lecturef_smilie: time to find a new insurance company..... you think... :agree:

KeithInAurora
06-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Illinois requires a motorcycle license to ride a Spyder, but the State-funded Universities have outreach programs that teach free motorcycle safety classes. We have to pay $20 to register (just in case you no-show), but if you complete the course, you can get your $20 back. You should check out your local community college to see if they have a similar outreach program in California.

Spyder4Tess
06-18-2013, 07:15 AM
Recently got quotes from Progessive,Gieco,Allstate and State Farm.State Farm was the lowest priced and did not require an M1 license.

Motorcycledave
06-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I have had a Motorcycle Lic. since I was 14 years old I am now 71
so I am not worried at all about insurance end of this issue.
But I did show the posters note here on the forum to my Allstate Ins. agent,
after he got done laughing he said... That will be very interesting if they push it
because the Spyder does not require an M1 on your drivers lic. and California does not
consider it a motorcycle... it is to them a 3 wheel car? If the insurance company tries to push
it all the meter maids in the state will have to take a motorcycle drivers test I would love to
see that.
I want to know how they get by with out having to use a helmet...
Double standard !!! dirty pool.... :yikes:

Tierhog
06-18-2013, 07:58 PM
California Casualty Inc. wanted my business from Nationwide. Come to find out Cal. Casualty doesn't insure Spyders. Told them to try again when they do.... Their loss.

kyace2003
07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
I live in KY and have had a M license for over 10 years now however this subject caught my eye and I was wondering for those in CA without a 2 wheel motorcycle license is it legal to drive in the other states that do require a license for Can-Am or 3 wheel motorcycles? Here in KY, a 3 wheel is treated the same as a 2 wheel and you have to have the same license to drive either. I have driven both, and strongly believe someone who has driven only a 3 wheel should not be legally allowed to drive a 2 wheel without some training however here in KY they feel you are.

Does anyone know?

MRH
07-01-2013, 10:15 AM
I live in KY and have had a M license for over 10 years now however this subject caught my eye and I was wondering for those in CA without a 2 wheel motorcycle license is it legal to drive in the other states that do require a license for Can-Am or 3 wheel motorcycles? Here in KY, a 3 wheel is treated the same as a 2 wheel and you have to have the same license to drive either. I have driven both, and strongly believe someone who has driven only a 3 wheel should not be legally allowed to drive a 2 wheel without some training however here in KY they feel you are.

Does anyone know?

I asked that same basic question here a year ago, and my CA license means I can ride my Spyder where I like. I did, however, opt to get an M1, and to get it I had to learn and test on two wheels.

I agree that knowing how to ride a Spyder does almost nothing to really help with a motorcycle, which I believe is why they don't bother to require a two wheel license for one any more than I would need an M1 or M2 for a bicycle.

Topshotta
07-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Does anyone know?

I've had my motorcycle license for a while, however before I bought my spyder I was able to take a 3 wheel safety class where they provided spiders for the class.

effective July 1 in Virginia
M: both 2 wheel and 3 wheel
M2: 2 wheel only
M3: 3 wheel only

Tierhog
07-03-2013, 05:45 PM
It was mentioned about 6mo ago. The license holder is bound by the laws of the issuing state as it applies to certification. So a California Spyder rider could ride to NY and back irregardless of occupied states license process. He or she is liable to familiarize themselves with the particular traffic laws of the guest state.

A good example would be headlights on during rain. In California you must turn your headlights on if its raining. Most LE will cut guests a break on such an issue after qualifying your license and reg... (Commonly called a "29", or rolling 29).

A helmet law would be enforceable/citation irregardless of home state. A minimum of 35k insurance and proof of such is also required.

Luckily our spyders already have the lights on and the majority wear helmets :)