PDA

View Full Version : emergency brake

jomamma1
06-10-2008, 10:08 PM
My wife called me from work today. It seems the emergency brake would not release. I drove 15 miles to get there and I was unable to get it to release either. I had to take a screw driver and pry the pall off of the notched piece. I thought maybe she just pushed it too hard, and after getting home I tried the brake myself. It again locked. I will call the shop tomorrow to get it in, but was wondering if this is a common problem.
Joe

BRPjunkie
06-10-2008, 10:13 PM
Top three complaints:
1. Brake squeal
2. Muffler burn spot
3. Sticking parking brake

Many have said you need to lube the daylights out of it. Most have suggested WD-40, but at least one post suggested a lithium based lube.

I just don't use it and leave it in first gear. Not the right answer as it should work, but beats getting stuck.

bjt
06-10-2008, 11:06 PM
IMO the parking brake problem is caused by dirt getting in the mechanism. When I wash the Spyder, if I take the hose and spray off the parking brake lever and the locking mechanism, the brake works good for a while. After a while it starts sticking again. I did find that you can release that lock, latch, whatever you call it, by depressing the pedal slightly with your hand and then pushing the latch down with a finger of the other hand to release it from the teeth.

jarhd3
06-11-2008, 01:32 AM
The parking brake sticking is an easy solve.Some of the spyders came from the factory in crates w/the brakes tightened way down.The dealers simply loosened the adjusting nut on the cable on the bottom.When the prep service was done,they retightened the nut again.Ihad the same happen to me.Locate the park brake assem.on the rear brake side.At the end of the assem is the cable w/the threaded cable end and the adjusting and locking nut.Loosen the nut ,push the parking brake pedal up to the top.go back and adjust the cable alittle at a time until you can feel tension in the cable adjustment.Go back to the park brake pedal and test the compression on the pedal and see what level and or height you want the pedal to engage to use the park brake.Also use a little lube on the assem. at this time.Once the required pressure or height is met tighten down the adjusting and locking nut.Press down on the park brake pedal.it should only take afew clicks to engage the park brake-stop-check bike to see if forward and backward movement is secure(bike doesn't move).Press down evenly on the pedal again and the brake should release and return to the top position.Play around with various engagement points.mine only takes about three clicks to engage and releases very easily.Hope this helps you out.