PDA

View Full Version : RIDING IN THE RAIN???

JKMSPYDER
06-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Will be riding my ST-S to eastern TX later in the week for a high school reunion. Have over 3100 miles on my Spyder, but have never ridden in rain, except for69953 a few sprinkles. This time of year, I am bound to run into rain showers on the way there and/or on the way back. Can anyone give me feedback on riding in a good steady rain or downpour on an ST? I wear a full face helmet with a face shield and have a two piece rain suit. Will rain hit me in the face with the windshield all the way up? I'm 5' 10"" by the way. Also, do I have to worry about my Sena Bluetooth headset getting wet? Any info would be appreciated.

ARtraveler
06-16-2013, 05:22 PM
It looks like you have the right gear for a wet ride. I have new Sena's but they have not ridden in the rain yet. Never had a problem with my previous Cardo communicators in the rain. Recommend you make sure all the rubber plugs are pushed all the way in on the communicators.

Try to avoid going through any standing water on the highway. The :spyder2: will hydroplane and that can be scarry if it happens.

Motorcycledave
06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
I have logged many hundreds of miles in hard rain... not because I wanted to,
you will be fine with your rain gear you may want to get some waterproof boots or
you can use plastic bags over what you have on your feet. as for rain in your face
at speeds you will not get much in your face but when you stop for a traffic light or ???
you will get rain drops just like the wind shield.
AND... like riding a motorcycle you should watch out for any fresh oil in the center
of your traffic lane it gets slippery.... slow down to a safe speed.
Ride safe
Dave

Will be riding my ST-S to eastern TX later in the week for a high school reunion. Have over 3100 miles on my Spyder, but have never ridden in rain, except for69953 a few sprinkles. This time of year, I am bound to run into rain showers on the way there and/or on the way back. Can anyone give me feedback on riding in a good steady rain or downpour on an ST? I wear a full face helmet with a face shield and have a two piece rain suit. Will rain hit me in the face with the windshield all the way up? I'm 5' 10"" by the way. Also, do I have to worry about my Sena Bluetooth headset getting wet? Any info would be appreciated.

SpyRyd
06-16-2013, 05:34 PM
Recommend you DON'T use your cruise control when ryding in the rain.

Copperman
06-16-2013, 05:49 PM
All I can add is it'll only take minutes, in the rain, to feel more secure while riding. Also, I had read before about the bags for your feet. I keep forgetting to use them (as I can't find a cover for my boots) and my boots get soaking wet. Someday I'll remember!

JKMSPYDER
06-16-2013, 06:24 PM
I do have the Can-Am riding boots that are supposed to be waterproof. I guess I'll find out.

Bob Denman
06-16-2013, 06:38 PM
I you have the RT riding boots; they are. :thumbup:
I've got a one-piece ToourMaster Elite rainsuit. I've never gotten wet while wearing it.
Rain on your face shield can be a bit of a learned talent; I usually drop my windshield to the lowest position so that I get more airflow onto my faceshield; it helps to keep the rain drops moving off of it!
Sticking your head out to the side can also be a useful trick in clearing a shield...
Good Luck! ;)

Arr MiHardies
06-16-2013, 07:48 PM
I was just riding in the rain today in Arkansas. I got plenty of water in my face. Kept wiping my face shield but didn't help my visibility enough. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sinkhole
06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Recommend you DON'T use your cruise control when ryding in the rain.
Amen to that!

sinkhole
06-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Make sure you have your visor all the way down and locked/snapped shut. Some visors allow water to run down from the top in behind the visor if they are not closed all the way.

03hdjill
06-27-2013, 03:57 PM

I have ridden my ST Limited in the rain / fog in the mountains of western PA for several hundred miles in beginning of June. My ST handled very well. My Sena was fine. My vision was okay as long as I kept the face shield open at least 1/2 inch.

SpydeRider2010
06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Frogg Troggs work well. specifically the Road Toadz jackets.

waxing the windshields and faceshields help A LOT during
rain riding :thumbup:

szohar
06-28-2013, 01:55 AM
I was doing a road trip this weekend in the NW to Oregon and Washington State. we had 7/8 days of rain, I did 2000 miles and was very surprise how well my RT preform in rain, not even one drop of water into the compartments.

The one trick (was mentioned above) that I used is to look over the windshield in low speed, in high speed (above 75 MPH) no problem at all.

I was wondering if someone is aware of a RainX comparable product that can work on the Spyder windshield.

Enjoy the trip and be safe.

joet82
06-28-2013, 05:33 AM
My 2 tips. To clear your visor...DO NOT USE YOUR HAND. I turn my head to the side and clear half the visor then do the same in the opposite direction.

Second, as Nemo once said, "Just keep swimming". The slower you go, the wetter you'll get, in my experiance.

Wiredux
06-28-2013, 07:33 AM
I had the joy of riding in the raid for about 550 miles in one day going home from Spyderfest. Just stay with the flow of traffic and keep on going. Hope your rain gear is something that will keep you dry. I was surprised that doing 70 on the interstate in rain how dry you actually stay as long as your gear holds up. When I got to my hotel I was very surprised that the only thing that was wet was my feet and my hands. During the trip I thought that I was soaked because I was so cold. Driving in the rain can fatigue you more the normal riding. So take a break if you get tired.

Bob Denman
06-28-2013, 07:43 AM
He's got to be back by now; HOW DID YOUR TRIP GO?

JKMSPYDER
06-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Hey Bob, the trip went great!! You gave great advice about putting the windshield down in the rain. That trick kept my face shield clear. I got back on Monday. Read my post on the general discussion site titled: "Do you believe in Karma?" Thankfully the problem happened in my driveway!! :bowdown: