PDA

View Full Version : First Ride - First Impressions

Ray R
06-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I had a chance to take the Spyder out for a few rides over last weekend. These are my first impressions:

As has been said, it rides and handles "different". There is no other way to describe it. The closest thing I've ridden that is remotely similar is a sport quad. It's work to ride this thing. You have to stay engaged and work it through the corners. I love it!

The lack of a hand brake is not a problem. After one or two false grabs at low speed, I had the foot brake thing down. I think I need to adjust my pedal so it's a bit lower though. Not a lot; just enough that I don't have to lift my toe so much to apply the brake.

The stock exhaust has to go. I need some sound! And the motor needs to to breathe. My Remus Powercone is on the way. The V-twin engine is a great choice, and this Rotax design has been proven over time.

I believe that the 5 speed is just fine. I would prefer, though, that first gear was a little lower, and fifth gear was a little higher. I think the engine has enough torque that a wider ratio 5 speed would work great. I'm not sure why folks are so hung up these days on close ratio 6 speeds for street riding. It doesn't make sense to me, unless you're riding a 600cc rocket that must be kept above 10k rpm to stay in the powerband.

The stock windscreen seems great to me. I'm 6'4", and it directs a clean airflow to my helmet, and keeps the wind off my chest. I suppose if the Spyder was to be ridden in the cold or rain a lot, a taller aftermarket screen would be appropriate.

The seat and riding position are very comfortable for me. No need for a bar riser or mirror extenders. It seems similar to a sport-touring bike....like my K1200S, but it has a bar-riser kit, peg-lowering kit, and custom seat. I may try some bar-end mirrors if someone comes out with a new turn signal that flush mounts in place of the stock mirrors. Mainly just for a cleaner look.

The stock suspension, in my opinion, is the weakest point. It begs for aftermarket pieces. My Penske shocks are on their way. They will keep the Spyder cornering flatter and smoother through the twisties.

The trunk is a great feature. And it was well designed so it's just part of the machine, rather than looking like some afterthought. I'm finding all sorts of uses. It's much better than having to use a back-pack like I do on some motorcycles.

I did notice some significant heat blowing on my right leg from time to time. Probably a nice feature in the winter....not so much in the summer.

I'm torn about the rear fender. I may remove it, again, just for a cleaner look. It'll be interesting to see what the Magic Man comes out with in a full fender for the rear.

Belt drive is right on! Quiet, lightweight compared to shaft, and no maintenance.....ok...other than changing the belt from time to time.

This machine is so different from anything on the road, it get tons of attention. I had one guy yell out his window asking me if I built it myself. I politely shook my head no and pointed at the Can-Am label.

What a great machine. BRP did it right. Is it perfect? Heck no. But they did a great job out of the gate and I look forward to watching it evolve over time.

BRPjunkie
06-10-2008, 10:28 PM
My post earlier tonight is in agreement with yours. Yes there are a few shortcomings, but considering that BRP started with a clean slate and came up with this pretty incredible first effort is amazing. No motorcycle fits everyone and every bike gets new seats, handlebars, pegs, windshields, pipes, etc. That doesn't mean that the basic design is flawed. It just means we have personal preferences. Harley Davidson makes millions off the personal preference market and the basic design isn't flawed, its just open to individual modifications.

Dyno824
06-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi Ray Was just getting ready to ask you. :agree: Dennis Or 1