PDA

View Full Version : Replacing burned out headlight on my RS-S... But, maybe not! How...?

Greg H.
06-16-2013, 12:08 PM
I saw some other posts about removing the top section of the instrument housing. But, the photos are no longer viewable. And, I don't want to start experimenting.
I removed my windshield, instrument cluster. But, there is no way I can get my hand in that headlight housing.
Any tips are appreciated on gaining better access. Or, I might just let my dealer do it.

Thanks! ( I thought I was posting this in Shop Talk - sorry )

Chupaca
06-16-2013, 12:20 PM
If you have the owners manual it shows how to change the bulbs. You don't have to remove the windscreen only the instrument cluster. Then the bulb cap and then the bulb. That's the way on the RS suppose your will be the same..!! good luck..:thumbup:

Greg H.
06-16-2013, 12:38 PM
If you have the owners manual it shows how to change the bulbs. You don't have to remove the windscreen only the instrument cluster. Then the bulb cap and then the bulb. That's the way on the RS suppose your will be the same..!! good luck..:thumbup:

I always pull the windscreen when working behind the instrument cluster. It allows easier access for me to push the release tabs to pull the instrument cluster. But, I have never replaced the headlights before. My hands are too big for that angle into the light housing.
On my GS, the dealer noticed a headlight was out, and replaced it while it was in for routine service. So; I'm not sure of their wizardry. :)
But, I had read on another post about popping the top of the housing off to gain room to actually get to the bulbs.

joet82
06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
they have smaller hands. it's a tight fit for me. I hate the process. lol

Sarge707
06-16-2013, 05:20 PM
I took the top off. Some bolts and then it clips into place. Better off to have the dealer do it in 10 Minutes- Maybe drive it to him without the Windshield on? Heres my pictures- Its no fun!nojoke

Greg H.
06-20-2013, 05:29 AM
I took the top off. Some bolts and then it clips into place. Better off to have the dealer do it in 10 Minutes- Maybe drive it to him without the Windshield on? Heres my pictures- Its no fun!nojoke

Thanks for your responses everyone!
A friend of mine with smaller hands than mine was able change out my headlights. Still; not an easy task. My dealer mentioned a wire fastener that had to be released before turning the bulb connector to the left to release it from the housing. But; there was no wire of this type.
He reached into each housing, barely getting his hand on the connector, twisted left, and released the bulb housing. There isn't much wire to work with either. Then; there is the bulb in the housing... But; how do you release the bulb!? Lol! The assembly has this metal lock ring ( for lack of a better word ). This ring has to be popped off. Then; the bulb can easily be pulled out of the socket. After the new bulb is installed, this ring goes back in place, and locks the bulb in when the bulb is fully seated. Now; you can right twist the entire assembly back home, and replace the rubber weather boot.
Like someone else said; "What was BRP thinking?". :)