PDA

View Full Version : Vibration in the handlebars

PW2013STL
06-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Anyone else have vibration in the handlebars that is putting there hands to sleep? If so any solutions?
I looked at bar end weights, but the limited has wires in the bar end for the heated grips on the left and the throttle return on the right.
This is my wife's bike and she says that the vibration is also in the floor boards.
Any ideas are welcome!!

mcaccamise
06-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Sounds like bad harmonics could be from the belt or tire balence,alignment this would transfer from the bars and also
the floor boards.
Mike

samewok
06-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Grip covers will help her hands. But the vibration is from the belt. She is probably riding in the wrong gear for the RPM. Needs to be 4,000 RPM in any gear.

Bob Ledford
06-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Model?

Year?

If it is in the handle bars and her feet. I would venture to say you need to check in three areas.

1. Tire balance... When it starts, can she drive through it? If so does it reappear at a times two speed. Example, starts at 25 MPH goes away at 30 MPH. Should reappear at 50 MPH and go away at 60 MPH

2. Drive belt tension... Does it come and go as engine speed varies? When was tension last checked?

3. Tire structure.. Did it occur quickly? A tire or tires could be starting to come apart.

PW2013STL
06-16-2013, 05:05 PM
This is a 2013 ST-L. The last time this was checked was at the 600 mile service. I can look at the belt an see if it needs adjustment. She feels it above 4000rpm so do not believe it is being lugged. Tires have less than 2000 miles on them so they should be good, but will have the balance checked.

Thanks to all for your replies!;)

Bob Ledford
06-16-2013, 05:25 PM
This is a 2013 ST-L. The last time this was checked was at the 600 mile service. I can look at the belt an see if it needs adjustment. She feels it above 4000rpm so do not believe it is being lugged. Tires have less than 2000 miles on them so they should be good, but will have the balance checked.

Thanks to all for your replies!;)

I agree with you on the tires. They should be good at 2,000 miles. But you never know about the construction or destruction going on inside them. I have had brand new ones separate the next day after being put on. My RT develops a out of balance front end symptom at 42 MPH at 60 degrees F other then that they are fine and smooth as silk.

Wheel weights are the same way. Here today and gone the next.

The drive belt should be good on adjustment for at least 4,000 miles before it needs tweaking but it also can create a vibration that will make your eyeballs rattle in your head

SpyRyd
06-16-2013, 05:47 PM
I agree with you on the tires. They should be good at 2,000 miles. But you never know about the construction or destruction going on inside them. I have had brand new ones separate the next day after being put on. My RT develops a out of balance front end symptom at 42 MPH at 60 degrees F other then that they are fine and smooth as silk.

Wheel weights are the same way. Here today and gone the next.

The drive belt should be good on adjustment for at least 4,000 miles before it needs tweaking but it also can create a vibration that will make your eyeballs rattle in your head

Bob, I am also experiencing a front end "wobble" between 40-44 MPH. Occurred about 2-3 weeks ago. Dealer checked the tire balance...both good...wobble still there. Next step is to swap out my wheels/tires with another set from a 2012 RT. Hope that will either eliminate the wheels/tires as the problem or determine that they are the culprit. If the wobble persists with the "other" wheels/tires, not sure what the next step will be.

Did you ever determine the cause of your "out of balance front end syndrome"?

SpyderMouse22
06-20-2013, 12:15 PM
697 miles and heading for my first service check soon. I have no problems with vibration on my ST Limited.

Bob Ledford
06-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Bob, I am also experiencing a front end "wobble" between 40-44 MPH. Occurred about 2-3 weeks ago. Dealer checked the tire balance...both good...wobble still there. Next step is to swap out my wheels/tires with another set from a 2012 RT. Hope that will either eliminate the wheels/tires as the problem or determine that they are the culprit. If the wobble persists with the "other" wheels/tires, not sure what the next step will be.

Yes we did and no we did not.

It turns out to be temperature related and it warmed up here in Fl so we wait until it gets cold enough to see if it comes back. Smooth as a lake with no wind bowing right now.

spyderyderjim
06-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Anyone else have vibration in the handlebars that is putting there hands to sleep? If so any solutions?
I looked at bar end weights, but the limited has wires in the bar end for the heated grips on the left and the throttle return on the right.
This is my wife's bike and she says that the vibration is also in the floor boards.
Any ideas are welcome!!

I would recommend Grip Puppies, that slide over top of stock Spyder grips (with water used for lube to slide over grips). They are a soft black foam grip that absorbs vibration, (so you won't need to grip as hard).
CrampBuster wide throttle assist. (you can Google both & find them in a motorcycle online store).
Add 13oz Ride On tire balance/sealant to each front tire. (front tire pressure about 18#). (While front of Spyder is in the air, check with a straight edge for tire/wheels out of round while rotating each tire). Hope this info helps you.
My 2013 Spyder RT-S SE5 Lamonster Spyderfest Pit Bull Powersports special does not vibrate with above mods.
What area in Minnesota do you ride, anywhere near Bemidji, Minn? Enjoy! Jim (Tucson, Az)

Bob Ledford
07-29-2013, 12:38 PM

No the weather warmed up here and it is fine it is definitely temperature related... Winter is fast approaching again.

Magdave
07-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Flatspotting? It takes more time to go away when cold as the tires warm up. Also tire wear could have smoothed it out. I get it at 63mph and am pretty sure it is belt vibration. Other speeds smooth as silk even up to 85mph.