PDA

View Full Version : New guy, with a pile of questions!

busa4mee
06-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Hey all, I'm brand new to the world of spyders. Right now I have an 09 hayabusa, which I love, and am looking for something that my fiance could drive as well.69881 The spyder has it all: can't tip it over, semi-automatic, alot of comfort options, and a sexy beast (like my busa). I took one out for a test drive today, a '13 RST I believe?69880 and had a blast! There were a few things that I wanted to check here before I made my choice...:
A. Are there different generations of these where everything is identical less a few cosmetic details? What years Mark the change?
B. I'm sure the RSS is what she would want, as it is the sportiest of the bunch, noticed the seats leave something to be desired compared to the touring editions, but they appear to be interchangeable? Is that so?
C. Don't get mad, I've been spoiled by the busa, but this thing seems a little poochy... is there a decent aftermarket for power gainers? Have people gone turbo yet? If not, I may have a great thread for you all this winter...
D. Are there people who remove the reaction control crap? Our make something so you can turn it off (for me). I hate that it slows you down in corners, and won't let you launch from a rolling burn out! Not that I do alot, but that should be my choice!
E. Any significant problem items with certain years to be aware of?

I'm sure I'll have more, thanks for the time. I'm sure I'll be a good addition to your group!

-Jesse

busa4mee
06-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Had to show

-Jesse

docdoru
06-15-2013, 09:56 AM
C. Don't get mad, I've been spoiled by the busa, but this thing seems a little poochy... is there a decent aftermarket for power gainers? Have people gone turbo yet? If not, I may have a great thread for you all this winter...

Aerocharger Turbo is working with Rotax for the Can-Am Maverick http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/utv/maverick/ , co-developed with BRP the Sky-Doo E-Tec Turbo http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/snowmobiles/skidoo-etec/ and the 53 Series for the Can-Am Spyder http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/motorcycles/spyder/.

coz
06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
welcome. seats on the gs, rs, st bikes are interchangeable. i'm using an st seat right now. don't think you would want to dis-able any safety systems even if you could, as they are all computer controlled.
after riding a busa, anything else is going to feel slow. doc doru would be the resident turbo expert. the se5 seems to be a little finicky compared to the sm. more gizmos involved.
now a question for u : what is the advantage of the stretched swingarm, other than looking way cool? i'm a former hd guy, i don't know about these things.:roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Welcome to our sandbox! :ohyea::yes::ohyea:
The spyders have a whole bunch of integrate safety systems that you'd be hard-pressed to strip out of them. :shocked:
Doc(doru) is the Guru of speed in here :bowdown:; you'd be getting the best usage of your time out of talking to him about horsepower issues...
Nice-looking "Hawk"... :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
06-15-2013, 01:35 PM
:welcome: to the site.

busa4mee
06-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! The only reason I ask about the safety stuff is because although it is a nice feature for her, I like to be in complete control of my machines. My busa is entirely UN restricted as all of my past bikes have been.
Would someone be kind enough to list all the different models of spyders and explain what it is that categorizes them as such? Thanks!

now a question for u : what is the advantage of the stretched swingarm, other than looking way cool? i'm a former hd guy, i don't know about these things.:roflblack:

The stretch is to keep the center of weight forward on the machine to keep the front end planted on hard launches. With the added leverage on the shock it also makes for a much smoother ride. I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs and that busa fits me like a glove. I did like standing up on the platforms of the spyder going down the interstate though!

-Jesse

mcaccamise
06-15-2013, 03:38 PM
I personally ride a RSS which is the sportiest the rs has less features paint stripes ect the gs is of an earlyier years
The RT is the caddy of spyders and they come standard to the most expensive RT Limited,the ST is a new modle year and combinds the RS and the RT for sport and comfort if your looking to take alot of trips longer rides than the ST or RT is the choise of the three.
I prefer more sport and lighter goes faster also there are many addons to customize to your liking good luck three wheeling is a blast.
Mike

joet82
06-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Eliminating/ removing the 'nanny' would be a bad thing. There are however, ways to minimize its reaction to your Spyder. I.e.- riding style, after market shocks, etc.

I barely have the nanny engage these days because I know where it gets triggered the majority of the time for me. I just keep my body weight to the inside of a corner, and I have Elka shocks which help counter the body sway the stock 09 shocks gave.

So, my recomendation towards it. Have her get one, and while riding, start slow and get used to the Spyder and how it handles. Then start pushing her limits and the bikes slowly so as to know where her comfort level is, along with finding what triggers the nanny. In doing this, you'll be able to know what triggers it and when, and why. Then you can find aftermarket parts to counter it. Like Elka Shocks, BajaRon's Sway Bar, etc.

As for the launching ability. It has a decent one. Most of the Spyders at the 2012 SpyderFest were getting 14s in the 1/4 mile. Never once had the nanny kick on for me while racing.

Texmac1011
06-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Sounds to me like you plan on riding it more than your girl. ;)

Riker
06-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the family... :yes:

PrairieSpyder
06-15-2013, 05:16 PM
In general the models are the RS, ST and RT. They originally came out with the GS, which is like the current RS - akin to a sport bike in seating position and performance. The RT was a new model introduced for 2010. It's the "bagger" Spyder and the seating position is upright. Then, for 2013 they introduced the ST model and there were significant redesigns of the RT. The ST model is styled similarly to the RS (sporty) but the seating position is more like the RT.

I'm not sure about the RS, but the ST and RT come in 3 tiers of models. The basic ST and RT; the STS and RTS; and the top-of-the-line ST Ltd and RT Ltd.

I'm sure others here will give you lots more information on the differences between model years and between models.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the Spyderverse!

busa4mee
06-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks again. We're more than likely looking for a gs or rss then. The rts I rode was sweet but the front of the rss is way sweeter, as is it's profile. I do plan on riding it a lot and want to push it to its limits, that's what I do best! I thought it would be a blast drifting that machine into corners but it won't even let me spin the tire! Someone must have killed that part of it's brain arty some point...my busa doesn't slow me down when I'm pushing her hard, And that's only got two wheels lol!

-Jesse

Chupaca
06-15-2013, 11:22 PM
GS: was the first model later becoming the...
RS: Roadster Sport
RSS: Roadster Super Sport
ST: Sport Touring
RT: Roadster Touring (bagger, dresser, deluxe, etc)
From there you have those little add ons like "Limited" etc.
This is only my interpretation of the model but can help you see the difference.
Unless you can out wit the computer (the nanny) don't mess with her she can make your life a pleasure or a real pain.. Good luck and I hope your girl gets to ryde it some time...!! :roflblack:

PistonBlown
06-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Agree with Joet82 that rather than trying to stop nanny concentrate on preventing nanny kicking in until you need her. Believe me one day you will as I found out the other day hitting gravel on a fast corner, I was singing nanny's praises after that:-).

Fitting a beefed up sway bar is a must. After that the shocks - At the moment I've just got my stock ones wound up to max and that with the sway bar has made a big difference but I will be looking at replacing them later.

From the comments you've made about ride style and the pic's of the Busa I'd suggest an RS or RSS with a manual gears (i.e. SM rather than SE). The reason I suggest manual is that I think it will give you a more involved 'motorcycle' like experience. RS/RSS is the sports bike version and if your coming from that background the riding position will be familiar. I did test ride a SE but I just didn't feel so in control as the SM.

Getting the RS around corners fast is as much about riding style as setup. The RS/RSS seat may look less comfortable but there's a good reason for that, the sloping sides give you really good movement to hang off the bike around corners to keep that inside wheel on the ground. Riding the Spyder fast around corners is a more physical but I've come to think more rewarding experience than on two wheels. Personally I think the RS seat is far more comfortable than any of my previous bikes.

Can't help you with improving straight line speed as I've not made any mod's in the that direction, I like the bendy roads too much to bother traveling on straight ones:-)

Bob Denman
06-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Sounds to me like you plan on riding it more than your girl. ;)

Are you sure that this is how you wanted to say this? :shocked: :roflblack: :opps:

busa4mee
06-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Bahahahaha!
Didn't catch that till now. It looks as though I will get a fully manual hand clutch spyder. From what I have recently come to understand, simply removing the magnetic sensors from the wheels will fool the"nanny" into believing that all wheels are moving at "x" value, eliminating abs and stability. I know the safety roundabout but I've ridden bikes my whole life and have never had a computer to rely on before... nor on any vehicle I've ever owned . It's a fantastic learning device for sure, I will figure out a way to quickly switch the features on and off for her. Bring on the pain lol!
!
-Jesse

donec
06-16-2013, 12:13 PM
I know the safety roundabout but I've ridden bikes my whole life and have never had a computer to rely on before... nor on any vehicle I've ever owned
-JesseI also have ridden bikes most of my life but a Spyder is not the same. One of the hardest things about learning to ryde a spyder is forgetting the things you have learned on 2 wheels. I would suggest leaving nanny connected until you can ryde the spyder with the confidence you have with your hayabusa.

busa4mee
06-16-2013, 12:30 PM
I do understand, but after 2 minutes on my test ride i was craving more! I'm not saying I will disable on day 1, but day 2.... well have to see how it goes. Just wanted to make sure it could be done before I buy one. Black on black '13 RSS here I come!

-Jesse

MarkLawson
06-16-2013, 03:06 PM
I would recommend you research the evolution of the Spyder before assuming you can disable the nanny and find it ridable. Since 1999 BRP went through 3 trials and was about to scrap the who project because they couldn't make it stable. They then reached out to Bosch Electronics who developed all the stuff you want to disable.

Research this carefully before possibly putting the girl you love on a modified Spyder that might end up changing life in an undesireable way.

Flanker
06-16-2013, 10:15 PM
I've got a ZX 14 with a pipe and a professionally mapped PC III (185-186 RWHP)................my RSS seems slow by that standard......................but they're pretty quick by car standards. If I had the money..............I'd love a custom one off swap of the ZX motor and tranny into the Spyder. You're spot on about it being nice to be able to disable the traction control and VSS.....................I'm thinking you'd need an accomplished electrical engineer (or even someone with Spyder specific knowledge/experience to handle the software/hardware issues) that'd come with a sophisticated mod like that. Oh yea..........................chain drive and wider tire conversion too! w00t! Please feel free to do all my R & D for me.

Flanker
06-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Sounds to me like you plan on riding it more than your girl. ;) Unless you intended the double entendre...........................I think you meant he sounds like he intends on riding it more than his girl does. ;) Syntax is everything.

retired1
06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Wider tire, extended swing arm, chain drive and even an air raising and lowering system for the whole roadster was done in '09 or '10 on a GS. IT made its appearance at Spyderfest.

Texmac1011
06-17-2013, 07:55 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Texmac1011http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=640328#post640328)"Sounds to me like you plan on riding it more than your girl." ;)

"Unless you intended the double entendre...........................I think you meant he sounds like he intends on riding it more than his girl does. ;) Syntax is everything."

Sounds to me like you plan on riding the bike more than your girl will......

Nah, liked it better the first time......................