PDA

View Full Version : Sequoyah Caverns

Cavman
06-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Sequoyah Caverns is closing to the public on September 3, 2013. It is located in NE Alabama off I-59 and US 11. They have even doing tours for 49 years.

I have proposed a ride to the cavern for riders from AL, TN and GA. Since people will be coming from lots of different locations, I thought we would ride and meet there at 10:30 am AL Central time. Afterwards, we could ride over to LaFayette, GA via GA136 for lunch.

If we have 15 or more people we will get a discount on admission to Sequoyah Caverns, $10.95.

Back decades ago, I was one of many cavers that surveyed the cave for the owners. We traded free camping for our surveying of the cave. The first years of the TAG Fall Cave-In were held there until they acquired a place in GA where it's been held since around 2004.

Purple pin is location of Sequoyah Caverns.

Cavman
06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
It was suggested by some of the GA owners at the OE in Maggie Valley that I post the event here in the GA section here on SpyderLovers. I have done so.

I am picking a date for the ride, August 10, 2013. Meet in the parking lot around 10:30 am Central Time.

After meeting at and touring the cave we can take the scenic route of GA136 from Trenton, GA to LaFayette, GA for lunch. GA136 is listed on the Motorcycle Roads website for N. GA. It's a fun ride on a Spyder. :yes:

There are several nice places to eat in LaFayette. I have been a visitor to LaFayette for over 35 years, as it has one of the most famous caves in the world that is located near by, Ellison's Cave.

pwm
06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
I would like to try to make this trip depending on work.

cjackg
06-19-2013, 03:08 PM
We are interested and have it on the calendar.

Jack & Nancy

Yol Bolsun
06-19-2013, 09:12 PM
:2thumbs:

Cavman
06-20-2013, 08:53 AM
I added that we will be meeting around 10:30 am Central Time, since the cavern is located in Alabamie.

GI Jane
06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Dean and I are planning on making it.

Cavman
06-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Approximate Cords are: N34° 37.826' W85° 38.078'

Cavman
06-20-2013, 10:32 PM
See the photo above of Fansastic Pit. A 586 foot drop from The Attic. Been there, done that.....
June 1999.

EllijaySpyder
06-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Melody and I are planing on going. Jerry:yes:

Hawk
06-21-2013, 07:25 AM
Added it to http://www.gaspyderriders.com/events.html

Cavman
06-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks Hawk, you da man!

sewnonnie
06-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Wish we could go. WE have other plans that weekend. Thanks Cavman for setting this up. Sounds like a lot of fun

Cavman
07-12-2013, 01:44 PM
If I can't get my RT fixed I may be doing the ride in my truck? Seems that the clutch is going on my SE5 transmission. This started on the Maggie Valley trip.
Freedom Power Sports in Kennasaw can't touch it for two weeks. Can anybody recommend a dealer in the greater metro Atlanta area?

cjackg
07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
If I can't get my RT fixed I may be doing the ride in my truck? Seems that the clutch is going on my SE5 transmission. This started on the Maggie Valley trip.
Freedom Power Sports in Kennasaw can't touch it for two weeks. Can anybody recommend a dealer in the greater metro Atlanta area?

Extreme Propulsion in Cartersville, Ga

Call Sean or DK at 770-386-9430

Hecam17
07-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Mountain Motorsports in Marietta, on the 41, is a Can Am dealer now.
Have not used them for service yet, but they don't chase me off when I go look at new Spyders.

EllijaySpyder
07-14-2013, 12:02 PM

Mountain Motorsports is where I bought our 2013 RT. They have a super maintenance shop and a certified Spyder mechanic. They are in Marietta on Cobb Pky.

cjackg
07-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Is this event still planned? How long is the caverns tour? How much walking, crawling, etc is involved ?
How many Spyders are expecting to go? What is the lunch restaurant?

Enquiring minds would like more info....

james danny
07-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Would like to know also . Also who would like to ride from around Atlanta.

Hecam17
07-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Just noticed this moved to August, going to try and make it.

cjackg
07-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Cavman, did you get your clutch resolved...? We are waiting to hear final plans for the cave tour on Aug 10...
Lots of people interested and wanting to go... :popcorn:

Cavman
07-31-2013, 10:52 PM
OK. Spyder is still in the shop. They got permission from BRP to touch it. They start tomorrow on it. It went thru a recall three years ago on the clutch with the previous owner.:banghead:

If I have to I will be there in my Tundra as much as that would suck.

I have seen that there are 14 riders listed on the SRA-TVC meetup groups coming to Sequoyah Caverns.
This is a walking tour of the caverns, I would estimate less than an hour since each tour leaves at the top of the hour. It will be a constant 55°F in the cave. Bring a light jacket or sweater to wear. We get the discount if there are 15 or more in our group. :yes: I have history there.

As for lunch, there a few places we could eat at in LaFayette. Twins is a nice restaurant that has good steaks I'm told. I usually get a calzone. They have pizza. Slim salad bar. Small parking lot.
There is a Chinese all you can eat buffet. The usual fast food and Pizza Hut.
I'll do some checking as I have friends that live there to see what available?

Input to me as to what you might like? The Pizza Hut may be the best bet to handle a large crowd.

I'll be coming to Sequoyah from Marietta, GA.

MarkLawson
08-01-2013, 07:50 AM
How about consolidating the plan in one post so we can easily see when & where.

cjackg
08-01-2013, 07:43 PM
OK. Spyder is still in the shop. They got permission from BRP to touch it. They start tomorrow on it. It went thru a recall three years ago on the clutch with the previous owner.:banghead:

If I have to I will be there in my Tundra as much as that would suck.

I have seen that there are 14 riders listed on the SRA-TVC meetup groups coming to Sequoyah Caverns.
This is a walking tour of the caverns, I would estimate less than an hour since each tour leaves at the top of the hour. It will be a constant 55°F in the cave. Bring a light jacket or sweater to wear. We get the discount if there are 15 or more in our group. :yes: I have history there.

As for lunch, there a few places we could eat at in LaFayette. Twins is a nice restaurant that has good steaks I'm told. I usually get a calzone. They have pizza. Slim salad bar. Small parking lot.
There is a Chinese all you can eat buffet. The usual fast food and Pizza Hut.
I'll do some checking as I have friends that live there to see what available?

Input to me as to what you might like? The Pizza Hut may be the best bet to handle a large crowd.

I'll be coming to Sequoyah from Marietta, GA.

Cavman, Maybe we should consider having lunch around Mentone, Al. It is just a few miles from Sequoyah and might be more convenient for folks that will be heading out in 3 directions. Nice ride over there and there are several interesting restaurants, including the MoonLight Bistro (has room for groups..), the Wildflower Cafe, or Mentone Springs Hotel.
Maybe some of the Ala folks have tips on this or another option in that area.

Cavman
08-02-2013, 01:30 PM
I got word today that the Pizza Hut in LaFayette has been remodeled inside and out.
I talked to Bobby the manager at Pizza Hut and he is expecting us for lunch after 2pm Eastern time.

GA136 is listed as one of the motorcycle roads for nice scenery and I know LaFayette.

I've traveled through Mentone over the years and it looks like the route I'll be taking to Sequoyah Caverns. I've never stopped there other than the traffic light, but it's been the route to many caves in TAG.
Since this ride is listed on the TVC-SRA website and the SRA Meetup Groups, it would be real confusing to change the town for the lunch this close to the event.

I would consider Mentone for a future ride event. There is a ride to Little River Canyon on August 17th by the TVC-SRA. That is in that area. I hoping to go if I have my Spyder back?

bullant12
08-05-2013, 08:43 AM
My wife uses tripadvisor.com (http://tripadvisor.com/) to locate local eateries, and so far we have gotten good places.
Here are the results for LaFayette, but we could use other cities or areas: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g35050-LaFayette_Georgia.html (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g35050-LaFayette_Georgia.html)

MarkLawson
08-05-2013, 09:18 AM
I got word today that the Pizza Hut in LaFayette has been remodeled inside and out.
I talked to Bobby the manager at Pizza Hut and he is expecting us for lunch after 2pm Eastern time.

GA136 is listed as one of the motorcycle roads for nice scenery and I know LaFayette.

I've traveled through Mentone over the years and it looks like the route I'll be taking to Sequoyah Caverns. I've never stopped there other than the traffic light, but it's been the route to many caves in TAG.
Since this ride is listed on the TVC-SRA website and the SRA Meetup Groups, it would be real confusing to change the town for the lunch this close to the event.

I would consider Mentone for a future ride event. There is a ride to Little River Canyon on August 17th by the TVC-SRA. That is in that area. I hoping to go if I have my Spyder back?

So, We're first meeting at Pizza Hut in La Fayette, GA (405 N Main Street) @ 2:00 PM for lunch and then going to Sequoyah Caverns from there? From there we'll go to Mentone on our way to Sequoyah Caverns. What time do we want to arrive there and still have time to tour the caverns before they close @ 5:00 (6:00 eastern time)? Does this give us enough time for the tour? Do we take a guided tour, & if so, which one? Looks like the cost could be anywhere from $10.95 to $30.00 per person depending upon the number of people in our group, tour chosen and duration. Is the planned lunch time too late to give us suitable time at Sequoyah?

Mark

Cavman
08-05-2013, 09:37 AM
We are meeting at the Sequoyah Caverns parking lot at 10:30 am Central time. We will do the cave tour after everyone gets there. After the cave tour, the group will ride up US11 to Trenton, GA where we will turn onto GA136 and head over to the LaFayette, GA area for lunch.

It has come to my attention that some folks are not pleased with the choice of Pizza Hut for lunch. I was sent a link to trip advisor of other places to eat in the LaFayette area. Link below:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g35050-LaFayette_Georgia.html

I have also put a request on the TAGNet for cavers to give me some places to eat in the area. I will be posting those suggestions here.

So now, it will be up to everyone to make their own choices as to where they want to eat lunch AFTER the tour of Sequoyah Caverns.

MarkLawson
08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Ah, so I missed some very important information, the initial meet time @ Sequoyah Caverns, which you had in the first message. Thanks for bringing it together.

cjackg
08-09-2013, 06:02 PM
http://www.sequoyahcaverns.com/index.htm

TuckMiddle
08-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Hi, John.

Great idea. Think all enjoyed the tour, I know I sure did. The place is much larger than I had thought it would be. I talked to the two senior citizens running it and asked what was going to happen. One said "See that gate up there? We're gonna put a big lock on it." No further plans were mentioned, so I don't have a clue about the future of the place.
Sorry you had to drive your truck, that's a good ride over there. I left early this AM and rode all arouind Jones MT and "The Pocket." Had a great time.

Thanks for organizing the day, it really was super. Pretty good turn out, 20 or more Spyders and a few others too. Good job!

Tuck :cheers:

cjackg
08-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Had a very nice visit to Sequoyah Caverns today along with a bunch of Spyders from AL, TN, & GA. Thanks Cavman for putting this together for us!

73530 73531 73532 73533 73534

MarkLawson
08-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Had a great time today John, thanks for pulling this all together!

Cavman
08-11-2013, 01:16 AM
When I get my Spyder back, I'm thinking of doing that ride we did today. I was a nice excursion.

I'm glad y'all enjoyed yourselves, as I did too. Good group turn out despite the iffy weather.

TuckMiddle
08-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Let me know when you want to go
I love it up there. Lots of great roads
Tuck

Yol Bolsun
08-15-2013, 10:46 AM
John:

Good job putting this get-together together:thumbup:.

Would like to see more folks take the initiative to do the same. Pick something, announce it and see who shows up.

Thanks! Maybe we can join you next time.

Cavman
08-21-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm wondering who from GA is going to show up in Birmingham this weekend to ride on the Barber's track for a hour? If my Spyder ain't ready, I ain't going in my truck!

MarkLawson
08-21-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm wondering who from GA is going to show up in Birmingham this weekend to ride on the Barber's track for a hour? If my Spyder ain't ready, I ain't going in my truck!

John, I have a room reserved at the Hampton Inn Friday night. I plan to be on the track Saturday.

Hawk
08-22-2013, 06:44 AM
You might want to start a separate post about Barber. I have family coming out of town, so I will not be able to go.