PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Shut Down running 70 MPH

myronmathis
06-14-2013, 08:55 AM
My RS-S shut down in the process of riding, and now it wont start. I saw on youtube the problem but there was not a solution associated with it. when I turn the key on the neutral N is flashing along with the reverse R and where the gear is displayed there is an E which I would say is for error. Does anyone know what this problem is and what can I do to repair it?

Bob Denman
06-14-2013, 08:59 AM
It could be that your gear position sensor has gone rogue on you... :shocked:
This sounds as if it's a "See your dealer" situation... :gaah:
Good Luck; please let us know what it takes to get things back up and running! :thumbup:

Jeriatric
06-14-2013, 09:15 AM
N + R flashing quickly = Undetermined gear position.

Stop vehicle and allow to reach neutral.

Depress brake pedal while attempting to start. As the engine cranks, oil pressure will increase and should shuttle the trans to neutral.

myronmathis
06-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Would that make the bike shut down during travel like that?

Jeriatric
06-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Would that make the bike shut down during travel like that?

Having not been there. It's hard to say what caused it to shut down. Had you just shifted?

Gear position problem is likely due to it's shutting down and not having ample pressure to downshift.

myronmathis
06-14-2013, 09:23 AM
N + R flashing quickly = Undetermined gear position.

Stop vehicle and allow to reach neutral.

Depress brake pedal while attempting to start. As the engine cranks, oil pressure will increase and should shuttle the trans to neutral.

the engine will not turn over. I hear a click as though the starter is trying to engage but nothing happens.

Jeriatric
06-14-2013, 09:28 AM
the engine will not turn over. I hear a click as though the starter is trying to engage but nothing happens.

Check fuses, relays(make sure they are seated), & battery connections(for tightness).

Frank G
06-14-2013, 09:29 AM
You need to PULL the KEY and walk away for a few minuets, this will reset the computer. If this does not work take it to the dealer.

Chupaca
06-14-2013, 11:06 AM
As stated..check fuses, battery terminals, battery voltage (over 12 volts) to start, relays. Take the key walk and try again. If manual shift, shift into gear rocking back and forth to engage and see if gear position changes. Were there any codes..?? good luck hope it's an easy fix..!! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Kill switch off?

NancysToy
06-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Sorry, although your problem could be minor and dealt with by the measures above, I suspect something more serious. There is a procedure in your manual and a wrench in your toolkit for manually returning the Spyder to neutral. If that doesn't cure it, I'd have it towed to the dealer. Your problem sounds ominous.

Bob Denman
06-15-2013, 07:36 AM
I could never figure that process out... I just can not find a way to get a 13mm wrench on anything that looks as if it'll turn that rod...:gaah:

napper39
06-15-2013, 08:14 AM
some body already told you what im saying ,on all my 53 motorcycles onl once that happened i was doing about 75 mph when my zrx1200 just shut off and i looked all over till i seen the kill switch in the off spot so i must have bumped it.man it took me 15 mins.to find that.but if your is kiicking but not starting ,battery cable loose,lrt us know when you find the proulbem.thats all i can say :chat:

Jeriatric
06-15-2013, 08:15 AM
I could never figure that process out... I just can not find a way to get a 13mm wrench on anything that looks as if it'll turn that rod...:gaah:

:gaah::roflblack:

Jeriatric
06-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Kill switch off?

some body already told you what im saying ,on all my 53 motorcycles onl once that happened i was doing about 75 mph when my zrx1200 just shut off and i looked all over till i seen the kill switch in the off spot so i must have bumped it.man it took me 15 mins.to find that.but if your is kiicking but not starting ,battery cable loose,lrt us know when you find the proulbem.thats all i can say :chat:

Simple stuff first. :thumbup:

myronmathis
06-17-2013, 06:49 PM
has anyone evr had a gear position sensor replaced? I put a new battery in my spyder and it still will not start, preparing to take it to the dealer.

myronmathis
06-20-2013, 05:08 PM
took the spyder to dealer and they said that the diagnostics show that the engine may have locked up. it is under warranty but it is going to take about 4 weeks for them to complete the job. in the meantime I hope that BRP honors the warranty.