PDA

View Full Version : Driver test

patches
06-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I stopped at the DMV today to talk to them about my wife taking her drivers test on the spyder. They stated, we don't care how wide it is, she hits a cone, she will fail. However, in the state of NC, they recommend you taking the test in the bike you are comfortable with. She has never riden anything else but a Spyder. I thought it would be an easy test but I am not sure about the weaving in and out, it is kinda tight. Anyone else take a test on a Spyder?

Thanks,

bjt
06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure how they administer motorcycle tests on trikes in other states but Michigan has a modified riding test for those on three wheels. It is either a completely separate course or they eliminate the portions of the test that you couldn't pass on three wheels. However, if you take that test, you are supposed to get a trike only endorsement on your drivers license.

NancysToy
06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
My wife chose another route, here in Michigan. She took an MSF course on their two-wheeler. Worried her at first, but after two days of the course she was very comfortable riding in the lot. In Michigan, if you show an MSF certificate, you need not take the test. She got her full endorsement, practiced on her Spyder a few days in area parking lots, graduated to local streets, then into traffic, then finally the highway. Hasn't sat on a two-wheeler again, but she can if she wants to. She is very comfortable on the Spyder now.
-Scotty

trumphair
06-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I took the test on my Spyder here in Texas. They literally had me drive around the block and that's it.