PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Dealer Blowing Smoke To Make Sell

Tim
06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Took the wife to spyder dealer 2 hours away from here to do a test ride Saturday. She loved it. Filled out the paperwork and made the $1000.00 deposit. While making the deal salesmen says it will be a little over 4 weeks until it comes in. In the mean time we found this forum and read about the delays in shipping spyders. lol. live and learn Today wife gets a email that said that it will be on or before Aug 31 before she gets her new spyder. Talk about blowing smoke up a cust -ss to make the sell. We own a Honda dealership here in Ohio. If a salesperson of ours did this . I would walk them to the door. No mater how long they worked for us. I don't think the wife would of made the purchase if she would of known about this before the sell. I could have a Honda GL1800 wing here and triked in less than 2 weeks. But would cost a little more even at wholesale prices. I will bring this all up to the dealership owners at the Aug. Dealers meeting. Maybe we should just become Spyder Dealers. :spyder:

bjt
06-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Yep. As you continue to read of dealer experiences on the forums, you'll see that this has happened to some people. I think a lot of times it's a case of a salesperson just saying what they think the customer wants to hear. Maybe they know the truth but choose to bend it for a sale. Maybe they don't know the answer but just keep talking, saying whatever comes to mind. Thankfully, most of the Spyder dealerships don't have those types of salespeople or BRP would have really gotten beaten up with poor customer relations.

trumphair
06-10-2008, 10:44 AM
No need to wait for a Spyder anymore. There are plenty for sale around the country (check on ebay).

spydersam
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM
That's 8 weeks. My dealer quoted me 6-8 weeks for delivery. He said there is a chance for 3-5 but was sticking to 6-8 to be safe. The saddest part is the people who went to the home coming said there were :spyder: stacked in piles (boxed) waiting to be shipped.
Some sales people will say anything, at least mine was straight up about it.

bjt
06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
The saddest part is the people who went to the home coming said there were :spyder: stacked in piles (boxed) waiting to be shipped.

Yep, there were quite a few crated and sitting outside. I think that at least some of those were european models though just so someone's not on here thinking they have hundreds of north american Spyders just sitting in some lot in Valcourt.

SpyderMark
06-10-2008, 12:06 PM
In the mean time we found this forum and read about the delays in shipping spyders. lol. live and learn

To date, I know of no shipping delays from BRP. There has been much SPECULATION on this forum about delays, but as far as I know, nothing official has come from BRP suggesting any delivery delays.

Today wife gets a email that said that it will be on or before Aug 31 before she gets her new spyder. Talk about blowing smoke up a cust -ss to make the sell.

Yep, I know it's hard for some folks to believe, but there are unscrupulous sales people working in vehicle dealerships. ;D On the other hand, perhaps your dealer has sold enough Spyders they feel comfortable making more precise delivery estimates than the standard BRP mantra of "on or before Aug 31."

We own a Honda dealership here in Ohio. If a salesperson of ours did this . I would walk them to the door. No mater how long they worked for us.

I've found our local Honda dealership to be very trustworthy and honest as well...

I don't think the wife would of made the purchase if she would of known about this before the sell.

I would be willing to bet a fair amount you could go back to the dealer, share your story with the sales manager and get a refund of your deposit -- especially in light of the fact these machines are selling so well.

I could have a Honda GL1800 wing here and triked in less than 2 weeks.

Please be sure you take a ride on both machines before making a final decision. I believe there are compelling safety reasons for sticking with the Spyder. I've never ridden a traditional trike I felt truly comfortable stopping in a turn -- the risk of roll over is very high in that situation.

I will bring this all up to the dealership owners at the Aug. Dealers meeting. Maybe we should just become Spyder Dealers. :spyder:[/b]

Now THAT is a GREAT idea -- the more honest, trustworthy and otherwise upstanding Spyder dealerships there are, the better for all of us!

Regards,

Mark

LittleJohn
06-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I gota say that my dealer has quoted me the same possible delivery dates from the very beggining when I walked into the store. Hes still stickin to Jul delivery, with a possibillity of it showing up this month. :bigthumbsup:

hollylmh
06-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Pensacola has them sitting on the floor -- why wait?
Call Jim. -- 850-456-6655

That is where I got mine.

spickus
06-10-2008, 01:54 PM
After reading these forums, I guess that I was very lucky. I placed a deposit on Friday May the 23rd and picked up my yellow spider up the following Saturday May the 31st. The dealer in Gulf Shores Alabama doesn't seem to have any trouble getting these units as there were 8 or 9 of them ready to be picked up when I got mine.

Smylinacha
06-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Bummer! Well who knows, maybe it will be shipped earlier. I originally placed an order the end of April for a Red SM5 Spyder. I was told by August 31st. Later on went to the dealer with our friend who already had his premier edition spyder and I was told if I wanted a Yellow one instead, I could get it by July 4th. So I opted for that. Well the Yellow came in very early - I picked it up on Saturday. But they didn't wanna get my hopes up so they didn't tell me until I got an email from them saying Your Spyder is Shipping and 5 days later I got it! What color was she ordering? Maybe she can get a silver or yellow one sooner?

czdaryle
06-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Ken's in Elma, NY has two available right off the floor. Right outside of Buffalo...depending where you are in Ohio thats not a bad drive 716-683-1155

captainryder
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
First of all, I'm sorry for the poor relationship that this dealership (this salesman) and your wife are experiencing. And many of these forum members have suggested solutions so I won't suggest another.

But I do want to comment that it does seem that BRP has finally achieved a satisfactory production level to meet demand for the SM5. Originally, all pre-order certificates constituted an intial production demand, along with some additional SKU's for dealer demos, the Spyderteams criscrossing the country, etc. Now it seems that dealerships are able to order additional SKU's of the SM5 and BRP has sufficient supply to re-stock dealerships with inventory which probably is allocations based on dealership sales volume this past year. That explains why some dealerships have floor stock inventory and others have still to wait for delivery of inventory as additional pre-order certificates are generated. (Your dealership perhaps has just recently generated strong demand or sales thus was not allocated additional SKU's when BRP finally was able to provide re-supply. Unfortunately, he still has to use pre-order certificates submitted through BOSSWEb to get the product. That doesn't excuse the salesperson from lying)

Hopefully, with the SM5 orders satisfied sufficiently, the SE5 will now begin production in numbers. And additionally, the red SM5 will start to make its way into the dealerships. WARNING: Be prepared for pre-order certificates for SM5 red and SE5 all colors to be as confusing as to who's first, etc. Why? Because, those same dealerships that have had good sales will probably be the first to receive distribution of their allocated units. That means that even if we knew who was the first SE5 ordered, if it didn't come from a dealership that BRP has identified as high sales/volume, it probably won't be the first dealership to receive its allocated orders, thus first ordered to actually to receive the first SE5 or red SM5.

I'm the optimist, that all orders will be received way before your pre-order certificate deadline, just not in the order you think it should. And to Derwin... we both will get our SE5 before September!

BRPjunkie
06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
A few of us got ours early, not because BRP moved shipment up, but because some with orders that were placed months ago asked to be delayed due to changes in financial situation or inability to get financed. We moved up about three weeks due to such events. Not sure how all dealers handle such situations and if they just move others up, or take unclaimed units and resell them. Good question to ask your dealer.

pphantom538
06-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm the optimist, that all orders will be received way before your pre-order certificate deadline, just not in the order you think it should. And to Derwin... we both will get our SE5 before September!

I hope your right, would like my red SE5 by 8/23.

spyderbitten
06-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I ordered my Spyder 05/17/08 and was given delivery date of 08/31/08. Got the call yesterday and picked up my

Spyder last night (06/10/09). Had a great experience and I wish you and your wife the same. :bigthumbsup:

LADREW
06-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Here is the cost of a Spyder broken down for those who really want to know.

Full Moon Color SM5

Dealer net: $12399

Hold back: $795

Dealer invoice: $13174

MSRP: $15499

DrKnowItAll
06-12-2008, 01:41 PM
I still don't get why the Red Spyder's somehow take longer... it's only paint... I understand the SE5 part, sorta, but still.... a few extra months for a different color??? weird...

bjt
06-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I still don't get why the Red Spyder's somehow take longer... it's only paint... I understand the SE5 part, sorta, but still.... a few extra months for a different color??? weird...

True but it could be that they have a backlog of silver and yellow Spyders to get completed before they can start producing the red ones.