PDA

View Full Version : Best seat cushion

Squadcarman
06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
I was wondering if any of my fellow riders use seat cushions. What are the pros and cons of the various brands? I get a little uncomfortable after about an hour or so of riding, but don't think I need to replace my seat. 2011 RTS

ARtraveler
06-12-2013, 06:49 PM
You will get some varying opinions from the members.

Here are mine:

I use a combination sheepskin/gel pad. Sheepskins insulate from vibration, heat, or cold. Put in a plastic bag if riding in the rain--or you will float away. Purchased from Alaska Leather

I also use an Airhawk inflatable cushion. Available from a variety of dealers--shop around for a good price. You have to play with the Airhawk to get the right inflation level. You sit IN it and not ON it.

I have bad hip issues which make it necessary for me to change position from time to time. Depending on the day, I sometimes use the sheepskin, and sometimes use the Airhawk. When I need a longer stretch, I put the Airhawk on top of the Sheepskin.

bmwlarry
06-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Airhawk is definitely the way to go. I have no meat on my behind and it gets painful after about 50 miles. Two years ago I bought one while on a coast to coast ride on my BMW and rode 970 miles in one day. We just finished our Spyderfest ride and 400 mile days were painless!

Bob Denman
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm experimenting with a Misty Mountain Sheepskin pad for my seat. So far; so good! :thumbup:
I figure that it'll work just fine while the "Ultimate Seat Fund Balance" grows! :ohyea:

CurtG
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
I know Inspector Gadget had worked with one maker for a fitted sheepskin do any of the other makers have Spyder specific cushions or gel pads? Or do you have to measure the seat and get the closest size. I've tossed a fake fleece dog bed (not padding) on the bike, it was big enough that I could double it for 2 layers. Definitely helps on hot days, but I need to devise some way to hold it on the seat when I'm not sitting on it. Had to chase it a couple of times in the wind.:opps:

Ride safe,