PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my Spyder ST Limited (The Angel)

JacqueTanis
06-11-2013, 11:38 PM
1358 miles in 6 days traveling through Texas and New Mexico. :dg2: I'm in love .. Yes, I'm a woman and I like bling so although The Angel shines brightly on her own .... What can I say:p, she needed a little more sparkle. I found out a lot of things on my trip, to include the following:

1. Texan's are among the friendliest and kind and helpful people I have EVER met! They go out of their way to do anything possible to make your travel through their wonderful state a happy one! :bowdown: I will return for a longer visit for sure!
2. When you are an inexperienced rider DO NOT stand up on your floorboards going 75 miles an hour down a Farm Road. nojokeYou WILL not be a happy camper. Well, I wasn't for sure!

3. The wind is now my friend. :ohyea:The Angel handles every gust with ease.

4. The ST has such a tight turning radius that you might get carried away going in circles:trike: from one side of the road to another and loose all track of time and add an unnecessary 30 minutes to your trip.

5. Texas has a lot, and I do mean a lot, of cows:hun: and they like to pose for pictures. And Texas has big, fat, puffy clouds, American flags on almost every gate post, big hearts, humidity and long, long, long Farm Roads and wind.
6 Although I was extremely pleased to find that I had suddenly become a celebrity, I realized quickly that MY fans were only interested in me:duh: for what I could tell them about The Angel. Not one of them asked for my autograph - not one! Devastating ...

7. Do not get excited and give too much gas when leaving a gravel turnout for the pavement - the person standing behind your Spyder will NOT appreciate it.:opps:

8. Texas has an over abundance of BUGS - big, small, some you would swear were the size of birds. They also come in many different colors. Whenever I stopped to take a break I would find many new and varied colored splotches all over the front of The Angel, on my jeans, my jacket and my helmet. You would have thought an artist had splattered his paint brush in my direction - blue, green, red, brown, yellow, pink, purple (for sure); whatever color you care to name decorated my Spyder. :gaah: I even swallowed a bug - thank goodness I did not chew!

9. Do NOT let go of the handlebars to adjust your gloves when you are cruising down an uneven country road on a windy day - you may narrowly miss going into a ditch and have to look around to make sure nobody was watching (they weren't).

10. You WILL be surrounded by Spyder:f_spider: fans whenever you stop for gas. Do not try to duck and run, you cannot get away. Just smile, answer their questions politely and let their children wear your helmet while you take their picture sitting on the Spyder making zoom, zoom sounds. Make sure to show them where the horn is. Can you tell I'm a grandma? LOL

11. The Enchanted Circle in New Mexico is absolutely fabulous.:2thumbs: If you get the opportunity to ride it don't pass it up. You will meet tons of bikers and cars out just enjoying the ride. Stop in Taos at the Dragonfly Bakery and Cafe and have lunch and a pastry - you won't regret it!

12. Your spouse will definitely NOT appreciate hearing a loud and high pitched OH S$#% slamming into his/her eardrums through his/her communicator every time you have a little panic attack in an unfamiliar situation. Take a deep breath and keep quiet - panic quietly please. Better yet, don't panic at all ...

13. I AM a biker, whether I'm on my BMW or The Angel, and I won't listen to anyone who tells me I'm not. :lecturef_smilie: Of course no one said it directly to me but there are a few jerks out there you know.
14. Riding 1358 miles on a new machine that I have absolutely no experience on - in all types of weather and temperatures :dg1: by myself for 3.5 days then meeting up with my husband for another 3.5 - on all different kind of roads and country sides is a breeze on this machine. Long trips are definitely in my future.

15. Take a deep breath and relax your grip on the handlebars. Let your machine do the work.

16. DO NOT panic and slam on the brakes when coming into a turn that is tighter than you thought - ease on the brake and let off the throttle. :pray: And let me remind you that your husband (or wife) does appreciate NOT hearing a loud and high pitched OH S$#% slamming into his/her eardrums through his/her communicator.

17. When your left leg gets hot from the oil reservoir, do not reposition your leg by extending your white riding boot over the edge of the floor board when a road crew had just re-tared the road you are riding on. :shocked: The black splotches will cover your beautiful white boots with black polka dots that are almost impossible to get out.

18. Buying my Can-Am Spyder ST Limited is one of the very BEST things I ever did and my BMW F650Gs is going to a little jealous.

Chupaca
06-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Sounds like you really got the hang of the whole thing. Loved Texas when I lived there. Well, welcome to the roadster world and great to hear from you here. Enjoy your ryde and be safe..!! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
06-12-2013, 07:10 AM
:2thumbs: I get the feeling that your F650 is going to get lonelier...http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif
Keep the reports coming! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
:congrats: Congrats on your new STL! It sounds like you learned a lot on that trip. There's more to come in the graduate course.

quickster47
06-12-2013, 07:50 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Couldn't agree more with your uncoverings about Texas and New Mexico. Except I will say that some of my most enjoyable riding and sightseeing has been in both Texas and New Mexico. Absolutely gorgeous places.

Carl

JKMSPYDER
06-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Jacque, congrats on your new ride. I will be riding my ST-S to east TX next week for a family reunion. Can't wait!!:yes::yes:

ARtraveler
06-12-2013, 11:17 AM
:congrats: on your new ryde. It sounds like you are having a grand time. :) :welcome:

EnjoyingTheRyde
06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Great read! Glad you're enjoying the ride!

Signed,
EnjoyingTheRyde

donec
06-12-2013, 11:43 AM
:congrats: JacqueTanis on your new :spyder2: The Angel. Now that is the way to break in both a new rider and bike. Glad you are enjoying your new ryde.

FaranH
06-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Great post, sweetie! I loved your humor and positive attitude! So glad you're enjoying your new ST!:dg2:

bamaspyder1
06-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Congrats...Texas always been a fav place for me to ride..:clap: