PDA

View Full Version : Speeding? Why?

OldCowboy
06-11-2013, 06:56 PM
We've all been there, done that. Gotten in a hurry for one reason or another. Then :banghead: flashing lights, siren, ticket, fine, points, insurance rate increase.

Most of the time, even without the nuisance of all that, the speeding didn't accomplish much. Here's some facts to consider before you add too much throttle the next time.

Consider a 30 mile trip with a 65 mile speed limit:

30 miles @ 65 MPH = 27.7 minutes
30 miles @ 70 MPH = 25.7 minutes
30 miles @ 75 MPH = 24.0 minutes

That additional 10 MPH would only save 3.7 minutes, but in MO will cost you at least $83. That's a cost of $1,346/hour of time saved. Not to mention how many hundreds of dollars in increase insurance fees over the next ??? years.

Although it's taken me a few decades to do it, I no longer speed. I simply start earlier and enjoy the ryde.

MrLooney
06-11-2013, 07:28 PM
I second that !! :2thumbs:

Topshotta
06-11-2013, 08:29 PM
We've all been there, done that. Gotten in a hurry for one reason or another. Then :banghead: flashing lights, siren, ticket, fine, points, insurance rate increase.

Most of the time, even without the nuisance of all that, the speeding didn't accomplish much. Here's some facts to consider before you add too much throttle the next time.

Consider a 30 mile trip with a 65 mile speed limit:

30 miles @ 65 MPH = 27.7 minutes
30 miles @ 70 MPH = 25.7 minutes
30 miles @ 75 MPH = 24.0 minutes

That additional 10 MPH would only save 3.7 minutes, but in MO will cost you at least $83. That's a cost of $1,346/hour of time saved. Not to mention how many hundreds of dollars in increase insurance fees over the next ??? years.

Although it's taken me a few decades to do it, I no longer speed. I simply start earlier and enjoy the ryde.

2 days a go I was riding down this back road doing about 10 over the speed limit and this HD flew past me, about a mile down the road he was pulled over by the police. I waived at him because I felt like he took one for me (could have been me)

BajaRon
06-11-2013, 08:31 PM
2 days a go I was riding down this back road doing about 10 over the speed limit and this HD flew past me, about a mile down the road he was pulled over by the police. I waived at him because I felt like he took one for me (could have been me)

It's always wise to fly with a canary! :thumbup:

I look for them wherever I go.... :rolleyes:

asp125
06-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Speeding in a car.. = hurrying to get somewhere or just being ticket bait.

Speeding in a bike ... because we can. Most posted limits are (from a bike's point of view IMO) set horrendously low for grandma in her Prius. On a bike we .. I ... get the feeling of flying in low orbit running well within the bike and rider's capability. Plus sometimes the machine just feels good running in its sweet spot.

I'm not talking triple digit public endangerment kind of speeding, but spirited riding having a good time kind of speeding. Faster than posted and probably fast enough to get a warning or ticket, but not fast enough to get hauled off to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Just got done running the Million Dollar Highway - mountain canyon carving at its best. Except for moments following RVs, slow riding cruisers or truckers, most of the time was spent at a spirited pace. Some of us like flying, some of us like plodding along smelling the flowers. I'm ok with that, just don't block faster riders or piss off slower riders.

hotglue
06-11-2013, 08:52 PM
My last ticket was in 1971.......it was SUBSTANTIAL!!!!!! I was written for 95 in a 40.... only because I knew the officer, and he didn't want to take me to jail...was doin a tad over 125.. HEY... they moved the city limits while I was off to school... and I thought I was in the county ...:banghead: Cost me 2 weeks pay... I like to think I learned my lesson!!!!:thumbup:

elixermixer
06-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Lol BUT if you travel @60 mph it equates to 1 mile every minute
@120 mph it's a mile every 30 seconds or 2 miles a minute...
soooooooo clearly if your gonna speed you might as well drop the hammer:yikes:

ok clearly I'm kidding no one averages those speeds outside of NASCAR and Isle of Man

Rayelljay
06-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Love to run the Isle of Man TT course on a spyder.

beanoil
06-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I learned my lesson long, long ago. I was written up for 105 in a 55. Could have been worse if he saw me a mile or so earlier. My young friend at work did not heed my advice, and was recently tagged for 137 in a 60. His would have been worse also, his GSXR will do about 160 stock. It just isn't worth it for me, so I stay within the spirit of the limit, and flow with traffic. But I am finding that given a choice of a Spyder speeding, and a bike speeding, a LEO will tag the bike over the Spyder almost every time. I think it comes from the poor examples being set by riders now, stunting, blocking traffic, and general two wheel hooliganism that is rampant everywhere.

elixermixer
06-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Love to run the Isle of Man TT course on a spyder.
They race side car (I think that is the most insane race of the week) and they are "racing" electric bikes... I bet if enough of us offer to run a trike superstock field we could get a race in... Just hope Dunlop and Johnny don't come to play

EllijaySpyder
06-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Go the speed limit, or lower, enjoy the view and the breeze in your face.

Chupaca
06-11-2013, 10:00 PM
I try not to and go with the flow. But recently got one in the car because they were out there in force and nailed the flow. Generally 10/15 over is fairly safe, but on the roadster we seem to just cruise on up and have to really watch it. You just don't feel it that much...:ohyea:

WackyDan
06-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Eh... I go with the "drive with a purpose" frame of mind. I generally sit about 8 over depending on the road, conditions and traffic.

Ga Blue Knight
06-12-2013, 03:20 AM
Hey don't knock "speeding" it helped put my kids through College! ( retired Cop!)

But in all serious doing "five to ten over" while speeding and ticket able in some locales, its the really high speed accidents that are truly tragic. in particular when innocent folks doing the speed limit get involved by the reckless driver. I also love to twist the wrist but it only takes a moment of distraction to change your or even worse someone else life forever.

Pandy
06-12-2013, 04:52 AM
The poster that mentioned grandma in her Prius reminds me that the two people that blow by me the fastest whether on Pyder or in the SUV are either driving a Prius (saving fuel for my Pyder) or
have some religious expository sticker of some kind. Sometimes both. Curious eh?

Bob Denman
06-12-2013, 05:50 AM
I'm all about the ride... Why be in a hurry to end it quicker? :shocked:
leave ten minutes earlier, take shorter stops, and enjoy looking around a bit! :thumbup:

spydercowboy
06-12-2013, 07:27 AM
This is almost a young versus old thing. When I was younger I was always speeding. Now that I have one foot in the grave, not so much. But strange as it sounds, I actually miss the 55 mph speed limit. Bikes ALWAYS got better mileage and there "seemed" to be less accidents. Now you have to go at least 10 over just to stay in the flow of traffic. Age as got to me. I don't care for going 85 mph to get from point A to point B. But if you don't you get run over.

Rockwall
06-12-2013, 08:08 AM
:agree: Around these parts if you don't go at least 8-10 over people are crawling up your butt, passing you, and giving you a salute other than the friendly biker one.

Bob Ledford
06-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Back in 88 I used to commute from Daytona Beach to Jacksonville Fl daily. I was forever getting passed and seldom passing anything on I-95... One of my work buds sometimes would pass me and I would not see him until I pulled into the parking compound usually within 2-5 minutes later. He collected tickets all the time I collected none in the 8 years I was stationed there.

I enjoyed the smells of flowers in bloom, breakfast on the stove, BBQ on the grill, and smoking rubber on the interstate. He had ulcers and I didn't!!!

mxz600
06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't ride fast because I'm in a hurry, I do it because it's FUN!! Zoom zoom.

http://www.tiptopglobe.com/skin/smile/s3967.gif (http://www.tiptopglobe.com/free-smiles-smileys-emoticons-blog-forum-email)

arntufun
06-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Slower drivers forget how quickly cars are closing in on them and it does in fact disrupt the flow of traffic for others with sudden lanes changes to get around them. Slower drivers can pose the same danger as the ones with a death wish. :thumbup:

mjw930
06-12-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't ride fast because I'm in a hurry, I do it because it's FUN!!

+1

I don't ride or drive slow, never have, probably never will (I'm 55 and not slowing down). Speeding is another story all together, it's about situational awareness. I see no reason to drive fast in residential or high traffic surface streets. I don't weave in and out of traffic on the highway but I maintain a pace that's usually higher than the average. I always stay within the limits of the situation and that includes the vehicle. I suppose that comes from years of training and practice having carried competition licenses from SCCA and IMSA and driving thousands of miles across Europe on "unrestricted" Autobahns.

The Pace is a great read for riders. It's all about the ride and not about what's posted on a little white sign.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/

asp125
06-12-2013, 10:19 AM
I observe all posted speed signs. There goes one now, .... and another one. :rolleyes:

Can-Am Poogs
06-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Hey don't knock "speeding" it helped put my kids through College! ( retired Cop!)

But in all serious doing "five to ten over" while speeding and ticket able in some locales, its the really high speed accidents that are truly tragic. in particular when innocent folks doing the speed limit get involved by the reckless driver. I also love to twist the wrist but it only takes a moment of distraction to change your or even worse someone else life forever.

:agree: Still at it. Speeders keep me employed. Drive reasonably and take care out there. I put my pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else, and I know what that urge feels like to twist open the throttle...oh it feels good....Be safe.

rlynchtx
06-12-2013, 01:29 PM
Like the old comedy routine said: I'm going the perfect speed. Everyone driving faster than me is a maniac and everyone going slower is an idiot.

Bob Denman
06-12-2013, 01:48 PM
Slower drivers forget how quickly cars are closing in on them and it does in fact disrupt the flow of traffic for others with sudden lanes changes to get around them. Slower drivers can pose the same danger as the ones with a death wish. :thumbup:

As do the drivers who are exceeding the posted limits, and not paying attention to the traffic around them... :shocked:

It takes two vehicles to create an "approach speed" situation...

arntufun
06-12-2013, 03:42 PM
As do the drivers who are exceeding the posted limits, and not paying attention to the traffic around them... :shocked:

It takes two vehicles to create an "approach speed" situation...

What I was saying was, If grandpa is going 60MPH (in a 65) and 99% of the other cars are going 70+, than grandpa is the one causing the danger.

Don't get me wrong....Sunday drivers are ok by me, but they need to stay off the freeway. nojoke

Bob Denman
06-12-2013, 04:25 PM
So you go around Grandpa when the opportunity presents itself... :thumbup:
But I've never found a passage anywhere in the Statutes, that says that it's okay to try an intimidate a driver just because they're ahead of you, and driving at a slower pace... :gaah:

FlaBound
06-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Had a friend in high school who believed;
"if I go fast enough, I can avoid the scene of the accident before it happens" :yikes:

He never had an accident. Maybe he was on to something.

Theoretically, he was probably correct ;)

jerpinoy
06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
It cost more if you add the famous three letters (DUI). Lets all be smart , just have fun riding with out additional cost and collateral damages.

mjw930
06-12-2013, 08:40 PM
But I've never found a passage anywhere in the Statutes, that says that it's okay to try an intimidate a driver just because they're ahead of you, and driving at a slower pace... :gaah:

If Grandpa is driving 10 under in the left lane on a divided highway then yes, there are a number of statutes that come into play.

If it's a single lane road then that's a different story, I just wait for a passing opportunity unless the idiot does like so many and speeds up in the passing zones. :banghead:

I also am not shy about using the "flash to pass" feature as outlined in the owners manual of many of my vehicles. Lead, follow or get out of the way......

docdoru
06-13-2013, 03:20 AM
"if I go fast enough, I can avoid the scene of the accident before it happens" :yikes:

:agree:

Bob Denman
06-13-2013, 06:44 AM
If Grandpa is driving 10 under in the left lane on a divided highway then yes, there are a number of statutes that come into play.
:agree: absolutely! :thumbup: The right lane is where he, (and I) should be in that situation...
But that's not really the specific situation that was being discussed... ;)

oldgoat
06-13-2013, 01:09 PM

:agree:

Bob Denman
06-13-2013, 01:22 PM
And yes... I'm an Olphart; and I drive like one too! :shocked:
(Too many years of selling insurance; I know what happens to premiums when the driving record starts looking like pig tracks in the snow... :gaah:)

OldCowboy
06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
To paraphrase: There are old drivers and there are bold drivers, but there are no old, bold drivers.

Firefly
06-14-2013, 11:08 PM
We speed because it's FUN.
To each his or her own.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JJW SpyderRider
06-15-2013, 05:54 AM

:agree: I saw a cop almost rear end a slow driver one day. We were on two lanes heading east with a group of cars filling both lanes. There was a truck, my boss, in the right lane doing his usual 10-15 miles under the limit. As the first guy in the right lane met up with my boss the guy changed lanes to the first gap available in the left lane. This lane change was done almost at the last moment. There was a cop following this first car who did not know my boss was driving so slow. The cop had to lock up his brakes :yikes: to keep from rear ending my boss. My boss acknowledged the people were always honking at him.

Greg H.
06-15-2013, 06:38 AM
My last speeding ticket was 2003 while driving my Mazdaspeed. 84 in a 50 zone. Cost me $174. That kind of ***** ruins my day. Although I went to court to eliviate it from going on my record, & no rise in my insurance, it still cost me $$$.
I generally go the speed limit or only a little over, or stay in the flow of traffic (to a point).
I live out in the country. My commute to work is about 22 miles backroads, and 6 or 7 highway or town, depending on my decision on any particular day. Deer are always on my mind, too. I hit one while driving my Mazda last year. Came out of the woods so fast, it happened before I realized it. 50mph, and smack!! I was lucky. I was going the speed limit.
That is always on my mind when I'm on the Spyder. Always! So; speeding is something, I'm very careful about.
The other thing always on my mind during my work commute (for instance), are oncoming cars crossing the center line. Of course, this comes into play just about any time my Spyder leaves the garage.
Anyway; I digress. Speed at your own risk. But, be careful. I have this friend who rides a neat Yamaha FZ sport bike. But, I really don't ride with him much. It's no fun. All he wants to do is go over the speed limit most of the time. Always in a damn hurry. We went to lunch yesterday. Beautiful day to ride, too! He gets to the restaurant, and is already inside about to order before I'm even parked. Actually; 3 of us were riding. The other guy, riding a sweet Honda CBR1000, was back with me. And, we were doing the speed limit, and maybe just a little over. Not a lot fun. Same story going back to the office. We all left together. But; he sees a sport bike hit the up ramp, and goes after him, leaving us back. The last time he did that, he exceeded 120mph. No thanks.
He's 61. I'm 59. It has nothing to do with age! Lol.

Bob Denman
06-15-2013, 07:11 AM
We speed because it's FUN.
To each his or her own.....

You are SOOOO easily amused! :roflblack: :joke:

*BING*

But, I do agree with you; "To each his or her own" :thumbup:

Firefly
06-15-2013, 08:38 AM
I do most of my speeding on the interstates where it's safest to do it. Sometimes on country roads too. Never in residential areas like 25 mph zones.
Slow drivers can be ticketed for impeding traffic.
Texting while driving now causes more accidents than DUI's.

docdoru
06-15-2013, 09:36 AM
I do most of my speeding on the interstates where it's safest to do it. Sometimes on country roads too. Never in residential areas like 25 mph zones.
Slow drivers can be ticketed for impeding traffic.
Texting while driving now causes more accidents than DUI's.
:agree: + ticketing drivers who failed to move over.

Bob Ledford
06-15-2013, 10:42 AM

By practicing that quote, "he should be the first one to get to the scene!":duh: