PDA

View Full Version : Hesitant pickup through the gears

GeoffCee
06-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi. Can anyone suggest a reason why my RT SE5 hesitates as I change up through the gears?

If the throttle linkage was cable driven I'd expect to see it had stretched and I'd take up the slack on the cable adjuster at the twist grip, that's exactly what this hesitation feels like, a stretched throttle cable.

I open the throttle immediately after changing up and for a fraction of a second nothing happens, then the motor kicks in, picks up and accelerates. I have to find an answer to this, my Missus has noticed and she thinks I'm fluffing my gear changes! It's very embarrassing! :opps:

Jeriatric
06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Sounds like the vacuum lines many are having problems with. best first guess.

Biosafena
06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
You shouldn't be rolling out of the throttle when changing gears. I am sure other with vastly more knowledge that I will explain the problem with this.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....

Biosafena
06-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Or I may have totally misunderstood. That happens to me often.. :)

Jeriatric
06-10-2013, 07:35 PM
You shouldn't be rolling out of the throttle when changing gears. I am sure other with vastly more knowledge that I will explain the problem with this.

:agree: but some do it anyway.

KAPike
06-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Your not letting up on the throttle as you thumb up through the gears, right? Constant throttle and shifting up the gears? When my wife was first driving our RT SE5 she was backing off the throttle when shifting up and our RT didn't like that at all. Did weird things to the RPM response and the way everything felt.

NancysToy
06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
As was said, hold the throttle on the RT when shifting. There is a throttle blipper to do the work for you. In addition, make sure you are shifting at high enough rpm. The Spyder will hesitate if you try to shift too soon.

GeoffCee
06-10-2013, 07:57 PM
As was said, hold the throttle on the RT when shifting. There is a throttle blipper to do the work for you. In addition, make sure you are shifting at high enough rpm. The Spyder will hesitate if you try to shift too soon.

Well I must have gotten into this bad habit without knowing because my gear changes used to be as smooth as the inside of Faye Dunaway's dressing gown. I'll let y'all know how it is after I've had a chance to mend my ways. :pray: And thanks.

NancysToy
06-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Well I must have gotten into this bad habit without knowing because my gear changes used to be as smooth as the inside of Fay Dunnaway's dressing gown. I'll let y'all know how it is after I've had a chance to mend my ways. :pray: And thanks.

That is not to say that you may not have a problem of some sort. If your methods are the same and you haven't recently had any firmware updates, but the response of the machine changed, then something is different and should probably be investigated. There are other possible causes for hesitation.

missouriboy
06-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Me, I'm waiting for The REST of the Story on the inside of Fay Dunnaway's dressing gown... :gaah:

Daisyjoe
06-10-2013, 09:33 PM

2 Spyders in 2 years and I never knew I had a throttle blipper:yikes:

denviola
06-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Just for peace of mind, check your oil level. If your oil is very low, it will not want to shift, and then will work normally. Happened to me this year, immediately after my RT was serviced (600 mile). Seems the dealer gave it back to me nearly 2 quarts low. Make sure you follow the instructions in the manual, the oil tank system can be tricky.
Probably not your issue but an easy one to check.

Firefly
06-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Good advice given by many. Don't let off the throttle... just hammer through the gears. Also try and keep your RPM's up in the 7,500 range when shifting.....

GeoffCee
06-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Me, I'm waiting for The REST of the Story on the inside of Fay Dunnaway's dressing gown... :gaah:

It's frustrating for both of us, (you and me, not me and Faye), but the truth is I have no first-hand knowledge, sadly the lady remains where she has always been in my life, way out of reach. :(

Tierhog
06-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Good advice given by many. Don't let off the throttle... just hammer through the gears. Also try and keep your RPM's up in the 7,500 range when shifting.....

Thats what I like to hear! Agree 100% :):thumbup:

GeoffCee
06-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Said I'd get back to you but I forgot! Turns out that over the winter non-riding months I mysteriously changed how I was changing gear. The reminders I was given here eliminated my motor's hesitancy. We are smooth again and you know how smooooooth that is! No rolling off the revs is the only way and then it works as advertised. Thanks guys. :thumbup:

coz
06-18-2013, 10:03 PM
2 Spyders in 2 years and I never knew I had a throttle blipper:yikes: i used to think it was a made up word, like, THINGY.:roflblack: i don't have a blipper, so i never knew what it was.:dontknow:

Diamond R
06-18-2013, 10:31 PM
I noticed ours doing that a little while in Maggie Valley during the week. By Friday night it would not up shift past 3rd gear (if I could get that far). It goes to the dealer on Saturday.

enjoy the ride

Allen & Patti

Bonniele
06-18-2013, 11:24 PM
This is probably a dumb reply but I had the same problem with my Spyder only to find out that shifting at 3,000 was causing the hesitation...I needed to rev it up more before shifting. Sometimes I still forget and have the hesitation...then the brain kicks in...again. (I didn't want to break my new toy...the book said 3,000 rpm then I saw others here on Spyderlovers who said to rev it up more).

MouthPiece
06-19-2013, 05:50 AM

7,500??? :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Chris

Ga Blue Knight
06-19-2013, 07:13 AM
While you can shift at 7,500 RPMs, and I do when feeling frisky, it's probably best to shift around 5,500 to 6,000 if your pushing and around 4,500 to 5,000 if your just cruising. Anything over 4,000 is fine but Mr Rotax seems to like RPM's for breakfast.

CyncySpyder
06-19-2013, 07:19 AM
Practice Exercises(SE5Model)
1) Revving the Engine andUsing theEngine Stop Switch
Purpose
– Become familiar with the operationof the twist throttle.– Become familiar with the sound ofthe engine at different RPMs. Thiswill help you to know when to upshiftand downshift based on theengine sound.– Become familiar with using the enginestop switch.
Directions
– Start with the vehicle in NEUTRAL,the parking brake engaged, and yourright foot on the brake pedal. Checkthe multifunction gauge to be sureyou are in NEUTRAL – if you are infirst gear, the roadsterwill try to startmovingwhen you apply the throttle.– Watch the tachometer and applythrottle (twist by lowering yourwrist) a fewtimes to raise the RPMto no more than 4000. Practiceapplying the throttle gently andsmoothly, holding it steady at about3000 RPMs, and releasing it. Aslong as the transmission is in neutralthe power will not transfer tothe rear wheel.– Use the engine stop switch to cutall power to the vehicle. Press theswitch with your right thumb whilekeeping your hand on the handgrip.
Tips for Additional Practice
– Practice pressing the engine stopswitch without looking at it.
2) Starting, Stopping and BasicHandling
Purpose
– Learn throttle control and how to getthe vehiclemoving.– Become familiarwith low speed decelerationand braking.
Directions
If you feel like you are losing controlwhile doing these exercises, releasethe throttle to stop accelerating andapply the brake as needed to slowdown. You can also use the enginestop switch to cut power entirely.
2a) Apply and Immediately ReleaseThrottleDirections
At first, youwill only use the throttle foramoment at a time, then release it andcoast.– Start the engine and release theparking brake.– With the brake pedal depressed,shift the transmission into first gearby pressing the gear selector forward.– Release the brake.– Slowly apply throttle until the vehiclestarts to creep forward. Assoon as you start moving releasethe throttle and coast, then pressthe brake to stop. Repeat to the endof the straightaway.– To turn around at the end of thestraightaway, stop, turn the handlebarall the way to the right, thenbriefly apply and release the throttle,and coast through the turn. Youmay need to briefly apply the throttlemore than once to complete theturn. Stopwhen you are in linewiththe straightaway in the opposite direction.– Continue with this part of the exerciseuntil you are comfortable withapplying and releasing the throttle.______ SAFE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS______ 85