PDA

View Full Version : My first engine code.

Harpo
06-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Have had my Spyder 2013 RTS SE5 for about 2 months now and today got check engine light. Immediately checked the oil level and it was low so added oil, still came on. Time for some research. Found out how to get the codes up and got P0127. After doing more research found that it is high temp air intake. The temp gage showed running in normal range so called the dealer. Live in Phoenix and our daily temp are now running around 110 and nothing I can do about the temp of incoming air. Was told not to worry about that code as long as it was not over heating. They were aware of the problem and been in contact with BRP to come up with a fix and to just ignore the code as long as I don't over heat. That was a relief being I was afraid that it was something major. Every day is a learning experience but I am loving my Spyder.

Jeriatric
06-10-2013, 06:57 PM
What triggers that code........ is it a fuel mix trigger......or solely air temp?

I do not know. I'm asking.

NancysToy
06-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Jer, it is triggered by high intake air temperatures.

Jeriatric
06-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Jer, it is triggered by high intake air temperatures.

Thanks. And another question.....or thought?

So, if it is triggered by to high an ambient/intake temperature and works hand in hand with the FI enrichment system. Which seems plausible to me. It would be an indication that the fuel mix system can not richen enough to offset the ambient air temp that has been registered.

In which case. Water temps would mean nothing if the above is true. By the time high water temps would be indicated you could already have top end problems from to lean a fuel mixture in high temps.

If I'm way off base. Why the need for a ambient/intake air temp to high code?

Just. tol

NancysToy
06-10-2013, 08:35 PM
As air temperatures rise, the air becomes less dense, requiring less fuel for the same air/fuel ratio. The engine needs less fuel to compensate for this, not more. That is not necessarily the only factor involved, as extremely high engine or air temps could conceivably need more fuel to prevent overheating or knocking, but in general the warmer the less fuel is needed and the colder the more fuel.

Jeriatric
06-10-2013, 08:44 PM
As air temperatures rise, the air becomes less dense, requiring less fuel for the same air/fuel ratio. The engine needs less fuel to compensate for this, not more. That is not necessarily the only factor involved, as extremely high engine or air temps could conceivably need more fuel to prevent overheating or knocking, but in general the warmer the less fuel is needed and the colder the more fuel.

OK.

I would swear a BRP tech in Durango said the amount of fuel injected was increased to help compensate for high intake heat.

Shrugs shoulders........:dontknow:

NancysToy
06-10-2013, 08:49 PM
OK.

I would swear a BRP tech in Durango said the amount of fuel injected was increased to help compensate for high intake heat.

Shrugs shoulders........:dontknow:
It is possible. Like I said, to overcome the possibilty of preignition and to cool the intake charge. Bottom line, like the OP's tech said, is not to worry unless it overheats. I would add to that knocks, pings, hits limp mode, or throws other fault codes.

Jeriatric
06-10-2013, 08:54 PM
It is possible. Like I said, to overcome the possibilty of preignition and to cool the intake charge. Bottom line, like the OP's tech said, is not to worry unless it overheats. I would add to that knocks, pings, hits limp mode, or throws other fault codes.

Missed your edit. Probably while writing my response.

Thanks for the back and forth.

It has helped confirm a long held curiosity/suspicion.

Harpo
06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
It ran fine on the freeway to make it home 65 to 70 MPH. Plenty of power with NO knocks, pings or limp mode. Just the one code. P0127 Thanks for all the input. I'm calling BRP tomorrow to get a case file started to make sure no warranty issues down the road from this.

NancysToy
06-11-2013, 06:22 AM
It ran fine on the freeway to make it home 65 to 70 MPH. Plenty of power with NO knocks, pings or limp mode. Just the one code. P0127 Thanks for all the input. I'm calling BRP tomorrow to get a case file started to make sure no warranty issues down the road from this.
I doubt they will open a case file. This condition is caused by ambient air temperatures. You know the old saying..."You can't do anythging about the weather!" If it was my call, I'd just ride it unless it overheated or caused a limp mode.

2 Cruysyn
06-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Just curious. Did the code set while you were riding or had you stopped and the code set immediately after the re-start?

Harpo
06-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Just curious. Did the code set while you were riding or had you stopped and the code set immediately after the re-start?
The check engine notice kept popping up. When I go home did some research to find out how to get codes I had to hold the Mode, Set and Turn light stop to get it to come up on the screen, This morning nice and cool 86 in the garage and no check engine light.

2 Cruysyn
06-11-2013, 08:08 AM
The check engine notice kept popping up. When I go home did some research to find out how to get codes I had to hold the Mode, Set and Turn light stop to get it to come up on the screen, This morning nice and cool 86 in the garage and no check engine light.

The reason I asked is that my introduction to P0127 happened during the second half of my original question. Understandably so since we were triple digits that day and my Spyder had been parked on hot asphalt baking in the sun for about an hour while my wife and I were having lunch. Doesn't help that it's black either. Haven't seen it while riding though.