PDA

View Full Version : How i spent my Owners Event trip

PrairieSpyder
06-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Day 1. 455 miles from home to Mt Vernon, IL. I just followed the signs thru KC and ended up crossing on the Lewis & Clark bridge and going around the north side of downtown. Bad move. Only 2 lanes ea way, lots of entance/exit ramps, sharp turn south strategic merging from I-35. I knew better, but didn't pay agt until I was committed. Then in St. Louis on US40 I was in the left-most of 3 lanes when there's a sign about a lane shift. Right where the lane lines become solid, they put a sign about motorcycles s/ use the 2 right lanes! If I was on 2 wheels I'd have wiped out!

I haven't ever ryden so far in one day. I got really tired in the afternoon & a *$ canned coffee w extra caffeine didn't even help much.

Goal for tomorrow is the western side of the Great Smoky Mtn Natl Park

JJW SpyderRider
06-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Ride safe and don't get too tired!

flamingobabe
06-11-2013, 06:15 AM
sounds like an adventure....be safe...have fun...keep us posted...see you there

PrairieSpyder
06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Day 2 - 375 miles today. I'm staying at a Comfort Inn in Harriman, TN. I had hoped to get closer to the eastern edge of Tenn, but this is close enough. I didn't push as hard as I did yesterday and didn't get so tired, either. Tomorrow should be a much easier day.

This afternoon my temp guage on my Spyder read 100 degrees for quite a while. Even with it constantly reading a little high, that's pretty hot. I ditched my mesh coat and bought a work shirt to wear instead.

I'm looking forward to getting to the camp ground tomorrow and enjoying the campfire party!

PrairieSpyder
06-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Only had to go 148.3 miles today, and now I'm here at Creekwood Farms RV park. Cabin 76. If any of ya'll are here and want to visit, stop by.

I didn't realize how pretty eastern Tennessee is. I thought the mountains didn't start till much further east. So it was nice to ryde through the curves among the trees. The shad really helped keep me cooler, and the temp guage on my byke dropped 12 degrees when I reached the crest of the hill in the National Park.

Bad news is I didn't think to stop for fuel before entering the park. So I was glad I could mostly coast going down to Cherokee. The fuel indicator light came on just before I reached the highest part of the park. I stopped at the first station I came to and the poor baby took 4.205 gallons. How big is the tank? Maybe I had more fuel than I thought, but I was nervous anyway.

NancysToy
06-13-2013, 05:47 AM
Only had to go 148.3 miles today, and now I'm here at Creekwood Farms RV park. Cabin 76. If any of ya'll are here and want to visit, stop by.

I didn't realize how pretty eastern Tennessee is. I thought the mountains didn't start till much further east. So it was nice to ryde through the curves among the trees. The shad really helped keep me cooler, and the temp guage on my byke dropped 12 degrees when I reached the crest of the hill in the National Park.

Bad news is I didn't think to stop for fuel before entering the park. So I was glad I could mostly coast going down to Cherokee. The fuel indicator light came on just before I reached the highest part of the park. I stopped at the first station I came to and the poor baby took 4.205 gallons. How big is the tank? Maybe I had more fuel than I thought, but I was nervous anyway.
The tank holds 6.0 gallons. There should be about 1.5 gallons left when the light comes on (on level ground). You needn't have worried.

Bob Denman
06-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Glad to hear that you made it safely! :2thumbs::yes::ohyea::yes:
You've GOT to be careful about riding when you're feeling "road-weary"... :shocked:
Sometimes it only takes a quck stop to stomp some blood back down to your ankles and get a drink of water, to bring you back to life! :thumbup:

Chupaca
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
now get out and meet and greet..enjoy the event and have fun..pic's if you can...!! :2thumbs:

PrairieSpyder
06-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Yesterday was day 4, first day of the event. Checked in and shopped a bit. Then off to Deal's Gap to ryde the Tail of the Dragon. Been there, done that, got 2 t-shirts! When I came back to the festival grounds, they turned me away, saying there was a tornado coming and everyone should go back to their hotels and shelter. So I cam back to my cabin at the RV park. I drove through some strong wind on the way. I got my Spyder covered, and waited a bit. In short order it quit raining, so no problems except the inconvenience. I didn't want to bother uncovering my byke again, so KungFuSpuder let me ryde pillion to the supper.

Fantastic meal, by the way. BRP has treated us well. Good visiting with other Spyder ryders at the supper and afterwards. I rode back to the RV park with NCSpyder and Jimmy.

People often ask me about traveling alone to these events. I have to say there's no problem, because everyone here are Spyder owners and we have so much fun talking about our machines and our lives. I enjoy learning how others use their Spyders. Each owner makes their Spyder special for him/her, and that says something about the person. It's a little window into each owner's life and a way to know people better.

PrairieSpyder
06-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Above Gatlinburg, TN 69869

Festival Grounds on Thursday 69871

Food tent 69872

PrairieSpyder
06-14-2013, 06:44 PM
View from the overlook at the top of the Dragon's Tail 69874

THE dragon

PrairieSpyder
06-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Cindy (NCSpyder) and her DH JImmy