PDA

View Full Version : Analog tach not working right

Rotaxer
06-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Three times I have seen this happen where the analog tachometer is reading incorrect or not at all. The digital read out is reading correct, two times I stopped the bike and shut the key off and when I started it the needle did the sweep and was correct again. Yesterday when it did not work at all that procedure did not help. 15 minutes later I looked and it was moving but definitely not correct RPM, when I stopped and shut off this time it started working correctly again. Anyone else see this strange behaviour and what was the fix? I am going to pull the instrument panel tonight and reseat the connection and hope that helps.

NancysToy
06-10-2013, 07:25 PM
You are going to need a new cluster. The problem will get worse, although it may clear for a while. Your odometer will revert to zero with the new cluster, so record the mileage and take a picture when you drop it off. I am on cluster #4 for the same and similar issues.

Rotaxer
06-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Cluster #4? :yikes: Are they ever going to get it right? I have a after market warrantee luckily but what about the poor saps without one, how much will that set them back? BRP letting this continue is a cash grab and unexceptable!:mad::mad::mad:

NancysToy
06-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Sorry I mentioned it!

Rotaxer
06-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Sorry you feel that way!

RAYYOU
06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
My analog tach quit working about 2 weeks ago and then last week intire display went out.
Get ready for another display and make sure they reset the limits on your ACS.

Rotaxer
06-11-2013, 08:45 AM
You're just saying it like it is - - and now I'll add my thought: THIS MACHINE IS A RIP OFF!

I don't have a problem with parts going on a vehicle, it happens to every builder. What I do have a problem with is when a problem like this happens over and over and over that the builder knows about it but does nothing about it!!!

I am supposed to be leaving on a 5000 km trip in less than two weeks and have been working diligently to get my Spyder ready and now at the last minute I have this happen! Now I have to get my Spyder into a dealer (which is not close to me) and hope they can get it fixed in time. Only to have it happen again next

important ride I get ready for. I spent a lot on this to purchase it and to "Farkle it" and to maintain it, it should be reliable.

Sorry if some don't see it that way!

Rotaxer
06-11-2013, 08:47 AM
My analog tach quit working about 2 weeks ago and then last week intire display went out.
Get ready for another display and make sure they reset the limits on your ACS.

So this will leave a person stranded then? That is great! This is then a safety factor and should be a recall!

Sorry what is the ACS?

Cruzr Joe
06-11-2013, 08:49 AM
remove the analog display and use the digital one and be happy.

Cruzr Joe

Rotaxer
06-11-2013, 09:15 AM
remove the analog display and use the digital one and be happy.

Cruzr Joe
This is not the fuel or temp gauge (got those disconnected already), this is the analog tach which is part of the main cluster and it does not look easy to remove. Off to the dealer.

NancysToy
06-11-2013, 09:18 AM
The analog tach is not critical to the operation of the Spyder...it is just handy. The rpm can be displayed on the main display screen. The analog tach is driven off the digital tach signal, so the digital is the original source anyway.

Rotaxer
06-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I really like the analog tach a lot easier to see (eyes aren't so good any more). The thing that scares me is...is the whole display going to take a crap and leave me stranded or would you still be able to drive without the display? Trip I have been planning for 5 months coming up real quick and with working full time hard to even get into the big city to get it fixed! :banghead::banghead:

Rotaxer
06-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Crap, just read that the cluster has to be matched to the ECM which is done thru BUDS of course!!!!

Could change myself in 20 minutes but have looked up the part #710001389 and it is about $700.00 US.