PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some recommendations from those

wis2013rtltd
06-10-2013, 02:01 PM
that reside in Tennessee, or are quite familiar with the State. We will be going with a group to ride the Dragons Tail, and we want to ride throughout the area while we are down there. Any pointers as far as lodging, other sights to see, roads to ride based on your experiences would be appreciated. We are planning the first week of August for departure.- Thank you.

gnirtsnod
06-10-2013, 02:20 PM
that reside in Tennessee, or are quite familiar with the State. We will be going with a group to ride the Dragons Tail, and we want to ride throughout the area while we are down there. Any pointers as far as lodging, other sights to see, roads to ride based on your experiences would be appreciated. We are planning the first week of August for departure.- Thank you.

Just finished riding some mighty fine twisties in around Tennessee that included the Dragon's Tail, Foothills Parkway, and Cherohala Skyway. We ended up in Telico Plains and stayed at a beautiful lodge. http://www.tellicologcabins.com/riverview.htm

What kind of GPS will you be using? May be able to supply some routes. ...Gnirtsnod

Pennyrick
06-10-2013, 02:27 PM

There are a number of awesome roads in Tennessee and I'm sure you will get lots of response.

If you ride the Dragon's Tail from north to south out of Maryville, TN, you can then go west from Robbinsville, NC and take the Cherahola Skyway to Tellico Plains, TN. That road cuts along the bottom of the Smokies at elevations from 1,500 to over 6,000 feet.

From there if you have the time ride highway 68 south known as The Sidewinder. Cut across through north Georgia on Highway 64 and then back north to Blue Ridge, a neat town almost on the Tennessee/Georgia border.

Another option is to take Highway 28 at the bottom of the Dragon's Tail (at Deal's Gap) and follow 28 all the way to Highlands, NC. It is one of the prettiest roads in the south east.

Another neat road that runs out of Waynesboro (near Maggie Valley) is highway 209 known as The Rattler that runs up to Hot Springs. From there you can take NC 208 towards Johnson City and Kingsport, TN. There are some great mountain roads that run out of that area (One is called The Serpent) towards Elizabethton and Mountain City, TN. It's pretty easy to jump on the Blue Ridge parkway from that area and take the Blue Ridge south to the Cherokee/Gatlinburg area.

wis2013rtltd
06-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Just finished riding some mighty fine twisties in around Tennessee that included the Dragon's Tail, Foothills Parkway, and Cherohala Skyway. We ended up in Telico Plains and stayed at a beautiful lodge. http://www.tellicologcabins.com/riverview.htm

What kind of GPS will you be using? May be able to supply some routes. ...Gnirtsnod

As far as the GPS, I am using the stock unit on my 13' RT. Thanks.

wis2013rtltd
06-10-2013, 04:03 PM
There are a number of awesome roads in Tennessee and I'm sure you will get lots of response.

If you ride the Dragon's Tail from north to south out of Maryville, TN, you can then go west from Robbinsville, NC and take the Cherahola Skyway to Tellico Plains, TN. That road cuts along the bottom of the Smokies at elevations from 1,500 to over 6,000 feet.

From there if you have the time ride highway 68 south known as The Sidewinder. Cut across through north Georgia on Highway 64 and then back north to Blue Ridge, a neat town almost on the Tennessee/Georgia border.

Another option is to take Highway 28 at the bottom of the Dragon's Tail (at Deal's Gap) and follow 28 all the way to Highlands, NC. It is one of the prettiest roads in the south east.

Another neat road that runs out of Waynesboro (near Maggie Valley) is highway 209 known as The Rattler that runs up to Hot Springs. From there you can take NC 208 towards Johnson City and Kingsport, TN. There are some great mountain roads that run out of that area (One is called The Serpent) towards Elizabethton and Mountain City, TN. It's pretty easy to jump on the Blue Ridge parkway from that area and take the Blue Ridge south to the Cherokee/Gatlinburg area.

info. that is most helpful!!

wis2013rtltd
07-05-2013, 12:16 AM

any additional suggestions?

Ken Thomas
07-05-2013, 01:44 AM
When are you all going ??

:spyder::chat::cheers:

Brogers57
07-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Make sure you wear a helmet! It's the law, I learned that lesson when I bought mine there day one!

Highwayman2013
07-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Check out this site for Tenn/NC area. All kinds of info on the area.

http://tailofthedragon.com/

Oldmanzues
07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
The last time I was there a couple years ago. Graham County travel.com. Graham County, NC. Watch gas on many roads like the Skyway which is great.
I think it was in Tellico Plains. Nice museum, eating place at a gas station. Best BBq and tater salad around. covered parking for bikes. Anybody on here for sure.
Oldmanzues

cjackg
07-05-2013, 02:08 PM
any additional suggestions?
If you get a chance, make a day trip North on the Blue Ridge Parkway to see some really impressive scenery at higher elevations.

From Asheville, head north on the BRP to Mt Mitchell, Spruce Pine, Bakersville, then over the top of Roan Mountain, and then an easy run back to Asheville via I26. You'll be over 6000' elevation several times ryding some great roads in cooler temps... Here's a couple of pics from when we were there after the Owners event.