PDA

View Full Version : Railroad Tracks

BMWpilot
06-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I did a forum search, but no hits. Anyone have an issue when crossing railroad tracks that are laying at an angle to the roadway? Like, let's say wanting to drift off to one side or the other depending on which way the tracks are crossing.

Ga Blue Knight
06-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Should not be an issue with the wide car like tires on a Spyder. Bike tires have a rounded profile which if "trapped" in a rail groove could twist the front tire causing a loss of balance and a spill.

Jeriatric
06-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Not unlike a highway stripe RXR tracks are slick. So some drift is to be expected. Especially at higher speeds.

BMWpilot
06-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Should not be an issue with the wide car like tires on a Spyder. Bike tires have a rounded profile which if "trapped" in a rail groove could twist the front tire causing a loss of balance and a spill.

No, the problem tracks were almost but not quite perpendicular to the roadway. Still not sure why the Spyder drifted off course, I'll have to look at what happened some more the next time I go over those particular streets.

BMWpilot
06-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Not unlike a highway stripe RXR tracks are slick. So some drift is to be expected. Especially at higher speeds.

Speed was under 25MPH. I never experienced drift like that crossing those same roads on any other vehicle. I'll have to look at what I was doing differently on the ST-S.

Bob Ledford
06-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Here in our little piece of FL we have a bunch of angled RR Xings. I have yet to notice any slip or slide wen crossing at lo/hi speeds . You get the usual bounce and that is it!

Chupaca
06-09-2013, 01:11 PM
if you are angled and going slow and the tracks are wide (like double) or a bit higher than pavement you could slide a little on the tracks...:dontknow:

kubie
06-09-2013, 04:48 PM
I cross tracks every day. So two things come to mind. The first is Was it wet I/E early morning dew or a light rain? the second is depending on how fast the train goes across that section of track small stones or sand from under the tracks get blown onto the surface of the road way I deal with this on occasions! :dontknow: But could be some of your problem.

Bob Denman
06-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Next time you're hitting that intersection; try varying your approach angle a bit so that you DO hit them at a ninety degree angle... :thumbup:

SpyderDen
06-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Maybe yet another 2013 model year handling quirk. :dontknow:

retired1
06-09-2013, 05:56 PM
May be a leftover fron 2 wheel days, but I still cross tracks at 90 degree angle when possible.