PDA

View Full Version : Converting the tail lights to LED.. Q's

ARCTIC
06-09-2013, 09:55 AM
So I see that they sell a complete replacement taillight but has anyone ever bought and replaced the bulb with a LED cluster bulb? What bulb is it? Will it mess with the computer swapping for LED or will it need a load simulator added?

r1100rider
06-09-2013, 10:41 AM
So I see that they sell a complete replacement taillight but has anyone ever bought and replaced the bulb with a LED cluster bulb? What bulb is it? Will it mess with the computer swapping for LED or will it need a load simulator added?yes nanny wont like the no load of led's it will go into limp so what I did is leave one stock bulb and put in one led they are a regular bulb an 1157 I think but check there are a lot of led replacements but some are butterfly shaped and won't go through the hole so they have to be close to stock size you can put in a load resistor but I just left one stock bulb I also carry a spare since a tail lite out will limp you home at about 40 mph

ARCTIC
06-09-2013, 12:57 PM
This nanny is severely crimpin my pimpin :lecturef_smilie:

I put LED bulbs in the front fender tips those little things aren't going to piss her off too are they?

Chupaca
06-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Many have installed them but from what I have seen there has also been many a complaint about the troubles hooking them up. I myself would hate to limp home because of a light bulb. I just added LED brake lights and left the stocks there.. 69590 But then we have an RS..good luck..!! :thumbup:

Yazz
06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
I have Pilot LI 1157RCZ LEDs in my tail lights. No problems from Nanny.

Got some yellow LEDs from Reggie that are in the front fender tips.

No need to get your pimpin crimped!

daveinva
06-09-2013, 01:42 PM
I have Pilot LI 1157RCZ LEDs in my tail lights. No problems from Nanny.

Got some yellow LEDs from Reggie that are in the front fender tips.

No need to get your pimpin crimped!

Yup, same here. Bought them off Amazon, have worked for thousands of miles, no trouble.

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Automotive-LI-1157RCZ-Wide-Angle/dp/B0026OMV8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370803195&sr=8-1&keywords=LI-1157RCZ

Oh, and while you're installing the bulbs, here's a handy little mod you can make with a dremel tool to make switching out the bulbs easier in the future.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?13303-Brake-bulb-win&highlight=tail+light+bulbs

joet82
06-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I have every light replaced except for my headlights, with LEDs. I did get the All-in-One pack too, all of it was from Custom Dynamics. The only thing I have from Reggie is the TricFenders. And I have never had a problem with the Nanny due to lights.

Tierhog
06-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Useful thread, I'm interested now!

ARCTIC
06-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I have every light replaced except for my headlights, with LEDs. I did get the All-in-One pack too, all of it was from Custom Dynamics. The only thing I have from Reggie is the TricFenders. And I have never had a problem with the Nanny due to lights.

I'm guessing the custom dynamics have a dummy load circuit built into them

docdoru
06-09-2013, 07:20 PM
...since a tail lite out will limp you home at about 40 mph
Max 35 mph or max 3,500 rpm.

NancysToy
06-09-2013, 08:02 PM
LEDs in the fender tips should not be a problem.

ARCTIC
06-09-2013, 08:12 PM

I assume it throws a fault code when it's in limp mode? I put the led light tips in and it starts and runs fine.

Big Arm
06-09-2013, 08:22 PM

:agree: I've had them in mine for at least two yrs. no problem

NancysToy
06-09-2013, 08:33 PM
I assume it throws a fault code when it's in limp mode? I put the led light tips in and it starts and runs fine.

Limp mode scrolls across your screen (among other things). You will know it when you see it.

3whlLefty
06-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I burned out a tail light last summer and got no msg of any kind. A friendly car driver told me about it. I ran at least 200 miles before changing it with no problems.

Now, about changing that bulb. I have the sport rack installed and have read all the misery stories about it. There is just a gap that you can see the socket through. I was able to slip my fingers up in there and turn the socket and remove it but it is too big to pull out. The gap is wide enough to let the bulb head slip out so I held the socket against the gap with 2 fingers and replaced the bulb. Worked the socket back into position and turned it tight and the job was done!

This is on an '09 GS/RS SE5.

Needless to say, I felt pretty smug after that trick. Now, I'm left handed. Will I be able to do the same thing on the other side? Haven't been tested yet. :D

Sarge707
06-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I burned out a tail light last summer and got no msg of any kind. A friendly car driver told me about it. I ran at least 200 miles before changing it with no problems.

Now, about changing that bulb. I have the sport rack installed and have read all the misery stories about it. There is just a gap that you can see the socket through. I was able to slip my fingers up in there and turn the socket and remove it but it is too big to pull out. The gap is wide enough to let the bulb head slip out so I held the socket against the gap with 2 fingers and replaced the bulb. Worked the socket back into position and turned it tight and the job was done!

This is on an '09 GS/RS SE5.

Needless to say, I felt pretty smug after that trick. Now, I'm left handed. Will I be able to do the same thing on the other side? Haven't been tested yet. :D

If BOTH Brake/Running lights are out you will get a Limp Mode. I didn,t have luck with the pilot LI1157RCZ and just change my 2357 tail light bulbs every Fall when I grease the front end!nojoke

Techno-Spyder
06-17-2013, 02:35 AM
You need only wire a 50 watt / 6 ohm load resistor like this to stop canbus errors. Ebay, cheap as fries.

Did my 2012 RS when I fitted LED bulbs

ARCTIC
06-17-2013, 09:14 AM
You need only wire a 50 watt / 6 ohm load resistor like this to stop canbus errors. Ebay, cheap as fries.

Did my 2012 RS when I fitted LED bulbs

Ya, but then you have to tap into wires. Not a huge fan of that. It's kinda crazy to me that with all the technology that went into this spyder that they choose to put incandescent bulbs in them.

Techno-Spyder
06-17-2013, 11:19 AM
Ya, but then you have to tap into wires. Not a huge fan of that. It's kinda crazy to me that with all the technology that went into this spyder that they choose to put incandescent bulbs in them.

Yep, understand where your'e coming from. The good thing is you only have to do it once, if you solder the joint use amalgamating tape to finish it, its completely moisture resistant and permanent.

gfd1182
02-18-2014, 03:44 PM
What is limp mode?

coz
02-18-2014, 05:22 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack::roflblack: :rolleyes:

mcaccamise
02-22-2014, 02:24 AM
I added the led third tail light on my RSS and no problem plug and play also the licence plate light /brake light cover conversion no problems.

Texmac1011
02-22-2014, 09:20 AM
My wife's been running an LED bulb in her tail light for years with no issues. They are even the Chinese specials from EBay.