PDA

View Full Version : Pilot to crew "We're Going In" C130 - The Work Horse

Jeriatric
06-08-2013, 03:41 PM
C130 Hercules doing a "Khe San drop" landing.

Used in Vietnam when a clearing was all that was available to "get down quickly"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtObGx-XrhQ

:bowdown: Nice job........Thank Ya sir!

boborgera
06-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Did a few landings like that, In a Caribou, But those were slow and small....[66/67]
And i axially felt safer on the ground than in the air..Then In one of those rattle traps..

Oldmanzues
06-08-2013, 07:26 PM
There is no thrill ride equal that type of C 130 "landing", worse when you not a crew member.
Another thrill was the take off in a Pilious (sp) Porter, flown by Air America. Come to remember a little, the landings were interesting as well.
But a crew member said, if the landings equal the take offs and you can walk away, it is a good thing.
Oldmanzues

Bob Denman
06-09-2013, 08:16 AM
That was some drop! :shocked:
At the beginning of the video; I was SURE that this was going to be another video of a perfect, "one-point landing!" :yikes:

JkRbbt
06-09-2013, 11:35 AM
The first time I did that was not in combat, but going into Honolulu. We had just flown from Anchorage and the controller kept us very high to shoot outbound traffic out underneath. He finally turned us in and asked if, "we could make it down from our present position." My flight engineer, an old Nam veteran of many assault landings just patted me on the back and winked. I said, "Sure!" Scared the begeebers out of me as the F/E talked me thru the approach and landing. I gained a LOT of confidence in the ol' Herk, not to mention the engineer! :yikes: Love that bird!

Loren
C-130 A/E/H/P/N