PDA

View Full Version : HEAVY WEIGHT

poordom
06-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Good afternoon All,

My 2009 GS Spyder, has to carry a heavy load, ( Wife and I ) bring the total weight over the recommended level.

This obviously causes a rear suspension overload problem.

As expected any kind of pot hole we hit, as the old lady in pain since the rear spring bottoms out.

What can be done to correct this issue, or at least improve on the situation.

Thanks

Dom

spydercowboy
06-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Dare I say lose weight. I guess you mean to the bike though. Try air shock maybe?

Laila's Dad
06-08-2013, 01:03 PM
I have been wondering about this too. My wife hasn't rode with me yet. Partly due to me needing to get some miles under my belt first and partly out of her own fear of motorcycles. Well she is slowly building up her courage and said that she would take a ride with me "one day", after I get her a pretty helmet and matching gear :shocked:...anywhoooo, my dealer said just set the shock to the max setting and it will be fine but it's not his spyder we will be riding. I have a RS-S and I think the weight limit is 440(five something for the RT, right?). I am 290 myself(little guy) so I don't leave the misses much room to grow. Just curious if any of you spyderlovers are already pushing past the weight limit.

Bob Denman
06-08-2013, 02:01 PM
First (And Cheapest!): bump the preload on your REAR shock to it's maximum setting...:thumbup:

greatrides
06-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Wife and I together are over too. But has not stopped us from riding the rs.......adjust rear shock up and enjoy the ride.....

poordom
06-08-2013, 02:53 PM
That sounds like the cheapest way, BUT or should I say BUTT.:pray:

Dare I say lose weight. I guess you mean to the bike though. Try air shock maybe?

poordom
06-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I think we are in the same situation, I'm 270 and the wife is 2heavy.

How does one go about setting the rear spring to the max?

Dom

I have been wondering about this too. My wife hasn't rode with me yet. Partly due to me needing to get some miles under my belt first and partly out of her own fear of motorcycles. Well she is slowly building up her courage and said that she would take a ride with me "one day", after I get her a pretty helmet and matching gear :shocked:...anywhoooo, my dealer said just set the shock to the max setting and it will be fine but it's not his spyder we will be riding. I have a RS-S and I think the weight limit is 440(five something for the RT, right?). I am 290 myself(little guy) so I don't leave the misses much room to grow. Just curious if any of you spyderlovers are already pushing past the weight limit.

poordom
06-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Bob,

How do I adjust the shock.

Dom

First (And Cheapest!): bump the preload on your REAR shock to it's maximum setting...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-08-2013, 03:05 PM
I've got an RT, so my information comes from other sources...
The RS rear shock has a preload adjuster that is similar in concept and adjustment to the ones that are on the front shock.
You should have a tool that'll hook to it and spin it to raise the preload.
But raise the rear wheel off of the ground first!

spyderpoop
06-08-2013, 03:08 PM
the Manual tells you to add air for increased weight the valvue is under the seat my wife and I are almost 500 lbs together and we have no problem once we added air to the rear shock ?

DrewNJ
06-08-2013, 04:41 PM
Here's how I took care of pretty much the same concern.... :thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?44847-RS-Air-Suspension

I've had this setup on for a number of rides now and it works great. I run about 10-15lbs in the bag with the shock at the 2nd from highest position when riding solo. When riding 2 up I pump the bag up to about 30lbs.

SpyderAnn01
06-08-2013, 04:46 PM
the Manual tells you to add air for increased weight the valvue is under the seat my wife and I are almost 500 lbs together and we have no problem once we added air to the rear shock ?

I believe that you have an RT which either has a button to add air or a valve under the seat. The RS does not have a rear air shock and must be adjusted as Bob detailed

mcaccamise
06-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Actually the adjustment is made with a 3/8 rachit and 6" extension from the bottom while jacked up grease the indents as they rise or lower to help with the adjustment lots of tension on the spring.
Mike