PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate RPM's to Downshift?

Rockwall
06-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I am a new rider this year and am still working on my downshifting. I read the great post "Do's and Don't for new Spyder Owner's" and would love some clarification for an SM5. What RPM do you want to downshift? The post suggests anything under 4,300. This feels a little high on my bike, especially when going down into 1st.

I know that I will become more comfortable with this in time. Any suggestions about downshifting a manual Spyder are greatly appreciated.

tnhoover
06-07-2013, 09:46 PM
I have an SE5 but I usually downshift it myself because the auto downshift waits to long for me. I usually downshift around 4000 except 1st. 1st is usually around 3500.

stevedfive
06-07-2013, 10:00 PM
:agree:

NancysToy
06-07-2013, 10:12 PM
There is no hard, fast rule. It depends on what you are downshifting for. If you expect to get on the gas for a corner or hill, higher downshifts will probably suit you (and the clutch, and the engine) better. I would do so above 4000 or so (to achieve 5000 after the downshift) just to keep the Spyder in its powerband. If you just want some more engine braking, your shift could be even lower than that, depending on how much you want to slow the machine. I would downsihift a gear or two going down a mountain, just to save my brakes a bit. If you are merely coming to a stop, there is no need to downshift manually if you don't wish to do so...the Spyder can do it for you.

Can-Am Poogs
06-07-2013, 10:57 PM
I have an SM5. When I am down shifting from 5 to 4 or 4 to 3, I am usually in that 3800 to 4200 RPM. 3 to 2 I down shift to go around a 90 corner, probably around 3500 RPM. Gears 2,3,and 4 can be very tall gears. When I am coming to a stop in a straight away, I normally stop in in 3rd gear. I let the engine slow the bike down and just before the feeling it is going to lug, I pull the clutch in and come to a stop. If it is a red light I take it down to neutral, if it a stop sign I take it down to 1 and stop and go. If I am coming in hot I will kick it down to 2 to get the engine braking effect. I never kick down to first gear in the course of normal driving unless it is to pull into the driveway or enter a parking lot and such. I will use first gear for a panic stop or sudden stop, I have even skip shifted once or twice for the extra stopping power from 3 to 1 under heaving braking. The SM5 is a very forgiving transmission, and I really think it depends on your driving style. I will coast at 4500 to 6500 rpm in normal driving and upshift between 6000 and 7000 RPM (way smoother at these RPMS). IMHO

captblack
06-08-2013, 06:17 AM
I downshift for most all my braking and usually it's around 4K but don't normally go to first until stopped or almost stopped. If turning, I get the gear I want before entering the corner. To be fully honest, I would say it is really a "seat of the pants" thing. I am sure it helps ... at 28K miles and still have 40 - 50% left on brake pads ;)

Rockwall
06-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the great reply's guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I have been doing basically what you recommend, but probably too worried about shifting into 1st just prior to coming to a stop. I live in Illinois so I haven't yet had a chance to experience going up and down hills. Someday soon I hope!:doorag: