PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring module

tnhoover
06-07-2013, 03:55 PM
OK folks need some help here. My dealer has a trailer hitch for my 2010 RTS that is missing the wiring module. They will basically give me the hitch if I pay them to install it. I am not planning to buy a BRP trailer. So the question is can I just piggy back the trailer lights off the brake lights? If not, is there anyplace I can buy just the wiring module?

NancysToy
06-07-2013, 04:09 PM
How you hook up the lights depends a lot on the trailer. So does the answer as if you can piggyback the lights. The BRP trailer module is not readily available, but dealers have been able to get them for owners whose original modules failed. Ask your dealer about it if that is how you decide to go. Keep in mind that even a new module will have to be adapted to another type of trailer...and sometimes the trailer must be modifed, too.

Agent K
06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
I hope to tap into my rear lights to add a four wire flat for the little trailer we've been looking at. Haven't looked at the wiring yet but hope to soon.;) Don't see that it would be a problem, but more people out here have more experience here than I. Good luck!

NancysToy
06-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I hope to tap into my rear lights to add a four wire flat for the little trailer we've been looking at. Haven't looked at the wiring yet but hope to soon.;) Don't see that it would be a problem, but more people out here have more experience here than I. Good luck!

Can't tap a 5-wire vehicle directly to provide a 4-wire output. You will need a converter. Some don't work on the Spyder, also depeding on the particular trailer and its lights. The converters compatible with LED lighting have the best chances of working, like the Hopkins LED compatible. An isolated converter (separately powered) would be best, but many have done it without going that far.