PDA

View Full Version : KEERASH! KEEERUNCH! KEERAP!

srarndt
06-07-2013, 03:02 AM
:gaah:

Well, we've all heard of this type of accident: Going straight through an intersection in San Luis Obispo, CA on a recent long ride (I live 90 Miles SE of Tucson in Bisbee, AZ) and a teenage boy "didn't see me" coming from the opposite direction stopped mid intersection, then floored his SUV and turns left in front of me. (I hung on pretty good I guess - and we were both going slow enough) for I hung on as my Spyder and I stopped spinning and was not thown into the surrounding traffic. :yikes:

I walked away virtually unscathed but my ride wasn't drivable so I had the Spyder towed to the nearest dealer in Ventura, CA where they determined my trusty steed of over 34,000 smiles (Premier Edition #249) was totalled. (Counting my blessings!)

I have several questions:

1. Ergonomically speaking, which of today's models is most and least similar to the GS?
2. How are the E5 transmissions working out ( I remember there being problems in the early ones)?
3. Which dealers in your area are most willing to deal on the prices. ( Back in December '07 I ended up flying to Corona, CA, riding back and still saving several thousand over what any AZ dealers were willing to do...at the time)
4. I am thinking about a '13 RS-S in the metallic orange, are they or any other color/model hard to find by comparison? Also, what kine of prices are you all paying out there for this model?
5. Who offers the most quiet large coverage windshield out there?
6. Any newish service bulletins or mechanical issues to be aware of out there?
7. If there are any other Premier members out there still, have any of you been able to negotiate a few more pennies from your insurer based upom it being a P.E.?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

joet82
06-07-2013, 09:29 AM
I can only answer #1 without digging through my memory banks or researching much...and the RS/RSS is the exact same with upgrades. It was just a name change that happened in 09 that's the difference.

daveinva
06-07-2013, 10:32 AM
#2: No mass issues with the SE5 transmission. Some people have quirks, but some people have quirks with the SM5, too. I've had no trouble with the SE5 in my 2010 RS, I'd buy another one tomorrow, they're that fun. :thumbup:

Chupaca
06-07-2013, 11:06 AM
First of all glad you are alright and sorry your ryde did not fare as well. She was still young at 34,000. As to you numerous questions...test ryde..!! As stated above RS/RSS replaced the GS but now you have the ST somewhere between the RS and the RT. Don't know if you wander around here but the sponsors on main page have all the accessories you could want and a search will net you all the opinions you care to read. Good luck look forward to pic's of your new ryde when you get it...!! :ohyea:

AMTJIM
06-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Spyders have been piling up again in AZ, noticed 2012's have been marked down if any still left. Check Craig's and cycletrader for AZ. Just walk out the door if they won't deal, you're helping them. The initial SE5 had weak needle bearings breaking down I believe, causing the tranmission problems. But more components does mean more can go wrong. RSS has additional suspension and shock upgrades, very beefy front belt pulley. All 3 units I have had have an occasional brake fluid level glitch that shows up during expedient elevation changes when mountains involved, doesn't happen with nominal riding. My PE was lemon lawed, 0 shop problems with the 2010, 2012 RSS is quite amazing so far. I believe the 2013 has an additional upgraded tortion bar. The mid entry machines have larger rims and wider front suspenion...price and weight jumps considerably. Still think they are missing the market with no naked street fighter version, they just keep adding more plastic and weight to the same engine.

FaranH
06-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I can't speak first-hand to the 2013 RS riding experience so I though I'd just throw out this observation:

If you want the very closest to your GS, then I'd go with a 2011 or 2012 RS (or RS-S). The 2013 version changed to fly-by-wire throttle. Not a bad change, but something to be aware of. 2012 had much better shocks than 2011 (Fox Racing) but is functionally almost identical to the 2011. You can likely get a very good deal on a 2012 RS-S right now.

The Alloy Orange you were referring to was also offered in 2011 (I'm partial to that one). 2012 had a very bright orange-red which really grew on me and the Neutron Green.

Glad you're OK, by the way! :clap:

srarndt
06-11-2013, 06:32 PM
I can't speak first-hand to the 2013 RS riding experience so I though I'd just throw out this observation:

If you want the very closest to your GS, then I'd go with a 2011 or 2012 RS (or RS-S). The 2013 version changed to fly-by-wire throttle. Not a bad change, but something to be aware of. 2012 had much better shocks than 2011 (Fox Racing) but is functionally almost identical to the 2011. You can likely get a very good deal on a 2012 RS-S right now.

The Alloy Orange you were referring to was also offered in 2011 (I'm partial to that one). 2012 had a very bright orange-red which really grew on me and the Neutron Green.

Glad you're OK, by the way! :clap:

Thanks! Me too!

srarndt
06-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Spyders have been piling up again in AZ, noticed 2012's have been marked down if any still left. Check Craig's and cycletrader for AZ. Just walk out the door if they won't deal, you're helping them. The initial SE5 had weak needle bearings breaking down I believe, causing the tranmission problems. But more components does mean more can go wrong. RSS has additional suspension and shock upgrades, very beefy front belt pulley. All 3 units I have had have an occasional brake fluid level glitch that shows up during expedient elevation changes when mountains involved, doesn't happen with nominal riding. My PE was lemon lawed, 0 shop problems with the 2010, 2012 RSS is quite amazing so far. I believe the 2013 has an additional upgraded tortion bar. The mid entry machines have larger rims and wider front suspenion...price and weight jumps considerably. Still think they are missing the market with no naked street fighter version, they just keep adding more plastic and weight to the same engine.

Thanks!

Steve...

srarndt
06-11-2013, 06:34 PM
#2: No mass issues with the SE5 transmission. Some people have quirks, but some people have quirks with the SM5, too. I've had no trouble with the SE5 in my 2010 RS, I'd buy another one tomorrow, they're that fun. :thumbup:

Cool beans - Thanks!