PDA

View Full Version : GPS - Garmin models?

dshogman
06-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I currently have a Garmin 2455 on the dash of my motorhome and a 276C that I used on the RS just traded in. Have tried to see how it would mount on the new RT but at a loss. The 276C is a large clunky model more suited to mounting on a boat or larger car. The new GPS models are all the slim style like my 2455.
So why does it seem that a lot of folks are going with the more expensive 600 series from Garmin. Anyone try the 2400 series - relatively inexpensive especially from Costco or GPSCity? BTW, I do not use XM or any other intercomm system other than talking to myself.
Thanks for any suggestions.
David

lookerjdc
06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
I have an old nuvi 1490 that I use on occassion (I have some RAM mounts set up to position it at the top of the dash on my RT)

the new Garmin looks sexy, but I've gptten to the point of sexy isnt enough to buy something that I can do with my old nuvi or on my cell phone, etc, etc... as to people with the 600 series - they are made for bikes (weather proof, etc) - I dont like the position on them on the handle bars since you have to look down and take your eyes off the road, but thats just me:doorag:

quickster47
06-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Biggest thing for using bike specific GPS units is that they are sealed and waterproof.

Carl

harrypottar
06-06-2013, 10:19 PM
:agree:, it's water proof and shock proof. Motorcycle glove friendly. Can set it up for such things like low gas warnings.

putting baggies over electronics is not recormended as they end up with condensation and frying.

harry

burg650
06-06-2013, 10:49 PM
As I have said before why pay $600 to $800 for a biker-friendly water shock proof unit when I can buy one for $200 a Garmin as well that will do the same job and cover it with a clear zip-lock bag if it rains, that means I can buy lots of light with my $600 savings. I have been using Garmin GPS for over 10 years now on many bikes none of them were so call biker-friendly unites and never had one go bad at all, I am just saying.

fireplug98
06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
I use the Nuvi 550. Simple, cheap and waterproof.
Have had it a couple years now, with no issues.

Tommy J.

mcaccamise
06-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I have the garmin nuvi 1490 with sun shade also has glove touch and bluetooth connect mounted on a ram ball mount that works great on my RSS so far no problems with rain or shock.
Ill spend the extra on some new farkles IMO.

NancysToy
06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
I use the Nuvi 550. Simple, cheap and waterproof.
Have had it a couple years now, with no issues.

Tommy J.

Ditto

Trickie Dick
06-07-2013, 07:53 AM
I bought a Zumo 660 4 years ago and never looked back......except the time it came off the mount:yikes:. So I turned around, went back, picked it up and put it back in the mount and continued on. It never missed a beat. I like it. It has a brighter screen than the Nuvis and I have had no issues pairing it with my headset as some have had with their Nuvis.
I tried the ole baggie trick on my 765T before and it didn't work out so well. First or all, I couldn't see it and at the time it was hit or miss on the pairing. So I put it in my car and got one I didn't have to worry about.
Yeah, I know it's expensive but I only planned on buying one.

mooneych
06-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I bought one for $300 and it included the powered cradles for BOTH bike and the car. I just switch from one vehicle to the other; after all, I can only drive one at a time :doorag:.

DakarNick
06-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Please excuse the newbie question. It is a *bit* off topic. The RT-S doesn't come with a GPS but I may add one in the future. In order to use it like the Limited I would either have to do the dealer add-on for $999 or do it myself and tie it into the audio system, correct?

lookerjdc
06-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Please excuse the newbie question. It is a *bit* off topic. The RT-S doesn't come with a GPS but I may add one in the future. In order to use it like the Limited I would either have to do the dealer add-on for $999 or do it myself and tie it into the audio system, correct?

correct

you need to get either the BRP mount and wiring harness or an aftermarket mount and BRP wiring harness (which isnt needed if you have any bluetooth compatible headset on your helmet)

DakarNick
06-07-2013, 10:48 AM
correct

you need to get either the BRP mount and wiring harness or an aftermarket mount and BRP wiring harness (which isnt needed if you have any bluetooth compatible headset on your helmet)

Great, thank you. "Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming".