PDA

View Full Version : RTS VIBRATIONS

Daisyjoe
06-06-2013, 12:25 PM
I bit the bullet and bought a 2013 RTS SE5. It has a lot of vibration. It seems to begin around 55 MPH. Dealer suggested I put some miles on it and see if the tires would correct the problem. Machine was on showroom floor, but had not been driven. 0 miles. I have around 160 miles on the bike, but the problem still exists. Called dealer this morning and they said they will remove the existing tires and replace with some from one of the other RTs they have and align. I know other people have had this problem. What was the solution for you? I still have my RS, which drives like a dream compared to the RTS. I want to drive the new bike to Maggie Valley next week. Would appreciate some help here. Time is short. I have been on SL long enough to know that there are some VERY knowledgeable people on this site. Don't need BS, just straight talk. THANKS:bowdown:

MouthPiece
06-06-2013, 12:33 PM
I bit the bullet and bought a 2013 RTS SE5. It has a lot of vibration. It seems to begin around 55 MPH. Dealer suggested I put some miles on it and see if the tires would correct the problem. Machine was on showroom floor, but had not been driven. 0 miles. I have around 160 miles on the bike, but the problem still exists. Called dealer this morning and they said they will remove the existing tires and replace with some from one of the other RTs they have and align. I know other people have had this problem. What was the solution for you? I still have my RS, which drives like a dream compared to the RTS. I want to drive the new bike to Maggie Valley next week. Would appreciate some help here. Time is short. I have been on SL long enough to know that there are some VERY knowledgeable people on this site. Don't need BS, just straight talk. THANKS:bowdown:

2013 RT-S here. Although I did have the ball joint issue, I haven't experienced the vibration that you are expressing. I do think that the 13 is a bit more sensitive to wind gusts or semi trucks more than my 2010 was. Admittedly there have been a few times when I am in 1st gear and start out that I experience a vibration, but not at any other time.

I'd go ahead and let the dealer try to resolve your issue.
You're "on record" with your issue. Now it's time for the dealer to resolve. I didn't ask if the vibration was significant enough that your spyder couldn't be ridden. (for now)

Chris

Ga Blue Knight
06-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Daisy does the vibration appear to be RPM related or speed related. For example do you get it at a certain speed, say 55 mph, but in different gears ie different rpm or does the vibration occur at a certain rpm irregardless of speed? This question would separate the issue from motor related to chassis related or tire related issue. The RT as well as the RS are very susceptible to harmonics. Also see if you can twist the drive belt 90 degrees. If it can go past 90 it's way too loose if it hardly moves at all it's way too tight. This can also cause vibration if its too loose. Lets us know what you find out.

Jeriatric
06-06-2013, 12:49 PM

0 miles at delivery from dealer. Not good!

Take it to the dealer....give them a chance to make it right and if they seem to run into trouble doing so. Contact BRP and get a case #.

While this may take time and cause you to miss taking your new RT to the event. That's far less important than getting it fixed.

tol

jer

mclaw44
06-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Just my 2 cents. I was so upset with my 2013 RT-L ride until I found the ball joint change did not happen and once it did its a different ride!

bullant12
06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Just my 2 cents. I was so upset with my 2013 RT-L ride until I found the ball joint change did not happen and once it did its a different ride!

True... I am a witness to this, as well as Chris and a few other 2013 "updgrades". Now... in DaisyJoe's case, we need to know if the vibration is on the :spyder2: as a whole or on the steering, which would then cause the machine to steer all over the place, which is totally different from a vibration.

DaisyJoe, have you compared the 2013 with a previous year RT and see if it is the same? It really bothers that your RT showed an "0" odo reading...:shocked:

1957cushman
06-06-2013, 02:04 PM
I think Ga Blue Knight is on the right track. All belt drives will have a "natural" or "resonate" frequency at a certain speed and tension but will not last unless you stay at that speed and tension. The speed at which this occurs can be changed by tension on belt and/or length of belt. I assume after market belt tensioners are for the purpose of reducing such vibration by shortening belt length. A vibration that is occasional is probably the belt, if it is all the time it is probably something else. My 2012 RT belt drive will growl at certain speeds so I try to stay away from them.

mcaccamise
06-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Hi Daisyjoe sorry to hear of your bad vibrations if it were me i would certainly have them first of all swap the wheels and tires as a start if that doesent cure it than it could possably be a harmonics problem with rear wheel alighment or belt vibration.
If there is no resolution with these tests than it could possably be Rotax balance hence V-Twin harmonics and the dealer as well as BRP would have to scratch their heads for a resolution good luck at worst u may have to jump on the trusty RSS for the ride.
Mike

Daisyjoe
06-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Daisy does the vibration appear to be RPM related or speed related. For example do you get it at a certain speed, say 55 mph, but in different gears ie different rpm or does the vibration occur at a certain rpm irregardless of speed? This question would separate the issue from motor related to chassis related or tire related issue. The RT as well as the RS are very susceptible to harmonics. Also see if you can twist the drive belt 90 degrees. If it can go past 90 it's way too loose if it hardly moves at all it's way too tight. This can also cause vibration if its too loose. Lets us know what you find out.

This happens at 55 MPH. The handlebars begin to vibrate (really shake), the windshield begins to shake and it becomes difficult to handle. Once the speed reaches 60 to 62, it seems to level off some. And if I drive 50 or below. you couldn't ask for a smoother riding machine. The bike is drivable, but it wears me out.

wis2013rtltd
06-06-2013, 06:48 PM
This happens at 55 MPH. The handlebars begin to vibrate (really shake), the windshield begins to shake and it becomes difficult to handle. Once the speed reaches 60 to 62, it seems to level off some. And if I drive 50 or below. you couldn't ask for a smoother riding machine. The bike is drivable, but it wears me out.

and have them scan your VIN# in order to check and see if the ball joints need replacement. Sounds like that, or a bad front tire could be the issue. If it wears you out, the only ride I would take it on would be to the dealer for them to repair. Perhaps they could swap front tires from another bike to quickly eliminate that as an issue. They should not have delivered it with 0 miles, they would have likely caught the problem if they had rode it 5-10 miles first. Keep us posted, and good luck!!!

Ga Blue Knight
06-06-2013, 10:52 PM

Daisy what you are describing really sounds like bad ball joints to me. A V-Twin engine will sometimes vibrate to the point of being annoying. Same with belt harmonics, but to be almost unrideable for a fairly experienced rider like yourself I'd have to say its either really badly out of alignment, bad ball joints or bad tires or a combination of all three. Back to the Dealer and bring you game face!

Oklahoma Spyder
06-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Daisy what you are describing really sounds like bad ball joints to me. A V-Twin engine will sometimes vibrate to the point of being annoying. Same with belt harmonics, but to be almost unrideable for a fairly experienced rider like yourself I'd have to say its either really badly out of alignment, bad ball joints or bad tires or a combination of all three. Back to the Dealer and bring you game face!

Bad Ball Joints or bent wheel or badly out of balance wheel/tires. all easy dealer fixes.

jerpinoy
06-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Don't take a change, take it to the dealer and have them deal with the issue. Good luck.

TexGEOas
06-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I bit the bullet and bought a 2013 RTS SE5. It has a lot of vibration. It seems to begin around 55 MPH.

I'll bet you'll find the vibration is consistent at different RPM's (probably two) and varies a little if you are accelerating or decelerating through those rpm's. It's the belt. IT VIBRATES... Mine vibrates at 4200 rpm and 5100 rpm. It's annoying as hell since those rpm's fall right at speeds I like to cruise. My dealer has checked belt tension and it is at factory specs. Can-Am is no help... they barely acknowledge the problem even exists. My two dealers don't know what to do about it. I have not tried the third-party dampening pulleys yet.

Daisyjoe
06-07-2013, 04:12 PM

I was at my dealer this morning, bright and early. I wanted this NEW machine to be repaired!! I was scheduled to be there tomorrow, but the more I thought about spending $27,000 and not being able to enjoy the bike, my southern blood began to boil. I went there with my GAME FACE ON!! They:yikes: rode it again and told me they did not see any problem, only a slight (to be expected) vibration. I almost had a hissy fit, but being a true southern steel magnolia, I simply replied, I've ridden the bike almost 200 miles and IT HAS a problem. It needs to be fixed. OK they replied. We are taking two new tires from a bike that is still in the crate and see if that solves the problem. Well it did:yes: New tires, New bike!!

Jeriatric
06-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I was at my dealer this morning, bright and early. I wanted this NEW machine to be repaired!! I was scheduled to be there tomorrow, but the more I thought about spending $27,000 and not being able to enjoy the bike, my southern blood began to boil. I went there with my GAME FACE ON!! They:yikes: rode it again and told me they did not see any problem, only a slight (to be expected) vibration. I almost had a hissy fit, but being a true southern steel magnolia, I simply replied, I've ridden the bike almost 200 miles and IT HAS a problem. It needs to be fixed. OK they replied. We are taking two new tires from a bike that is still in the crate and see if that solves the problem. Well it did:yes: New tires, New bike!!

Good on you! :clap: Good on them! :thumbup:

Happy for ya.

can-am sam
06-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Good to hear that the vibration problem is fixed.:clap: Now you can enjoy your new ride.

napper39
06-07-2013, 04:48 PM
yes yes your my kind of gril stand up and you will receave now i think you are the best,fantasket love love you my sister.:thumbup::chat:

Ronbo
06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
I have 2013 rt limited. Some vibration. My next move is having fronts balanced by tire shop that I trust. Also headed for Maggie vvalley good luck
ronbo

Ga Blue Knight
06-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Good on ya! Daisyjoe!:yes::yes::yes:

Can-Am Poogs
06-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I think Ga Blue Knight is on the right track. All belt drives will have a "natural" or "resonate" frequency at a certain speed and tension but will not last unless you stay at that speed and tension. The speed at which this occurs can be changed by tension on belt and/or length of belt. I assume after market belt tensioners are for the purpose of reducing such vibration by shortening belt length. A vibration that is occasional is probably the belt, if it is all the time it is probably something else. My 2012 RT belt drive will growl at certain speeds so I try to stay away from them.

:agree: I notice it with my RTS and the belt is at a perfect tension and the bike rides great. It is a belt drive thing. I tried setting the cruise at that speed and rpm that causes it to happen and it drove me nuts. The vibration would come and go frequently. I just stay away from cruising at those rpms. It is more noticeable in 4th and 5th gear around 5800 rpm. That said if it is not intermittent at a specific rpm, and when you get to a certain speed or higher it stays with you all the time, then you have bigger issues that need to be looked at. A good dealer will know right away after they go out for a test drive.