PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body

SheWolf
06-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Well...not sure if any of you have had this problem, but after all the hiccups my Mad Pumpkin has had in the short time I've owned it...they finally managed to eradicate the gremlin. It turns out the throttle body was the culprit. The idle air was one full turn out on the stock one...the tech, service writer and the dealer owner were all like wtf...:shocked: So that was fixed, and the problem returned. Sooooooo....they finally decided to replace the throttle body and holy cow, what a difference!:clap: It runs like it was meant to...never had that much zap when I first got it (at least what I thought was normal wasn't, until I rode the dealer's demo RS-S and was shocked), and fuel mileage has gone up to 41 mpg (that's Canuck mpg ;) ) So I'm not complaining. I know there were problems with the RT throttle body, but searched for the RS and came up with nothing. First time they said they have even heard of having to replace one, and thank the stars it's under warranty. $2300!!!:yikes: Buuuut I have an awesome bike and no more gremlin!!!:yes: Now, to find out where that damned horn is hiding...

NancysToy
06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Cooooool! Now get out there and put some miles on that thing.

SheWolf
06-05-2013, 10:43 PM
I am! :ohyea: Just about 3k on it now, and most of it's been since this spring. :thumbup: Trying to talk my buddy with his 600 Duck into a road trip....old fart whines he has to go slow cause he's getting long in the tooth and his bike isn't as comfy. I've been trying to talk him into a nice blue RT...but he hasn't bitten.

MikeinGA
06-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Well...not sure if any of you have had this problem, but after all the hiccups my Mad Pumpkin has had in the short time I've owned it...they finally managed to eradicate the gremlin. It turns out the throttle body was the culprit. The idle air was one full turn out on the stock one...the tech, service writer and the dealer owner were all like wtf...:shocked: So that was fixed, and the problem returned. Sooooooo....they finally decided to replace the throttle body and holy cow, what a difference!:clap: It runs like it was meant to...never had that much zap when I first got it (at least what I thought was normal wasn't, until I rode the dealer's demo RS-S and was shocked), and fuel mileage has gone up to 41 mpg (that's Canuck mpg ;) ) So I'm not complaining. I know there were problems with the RT throttle body, but searched for the RS and came up with nothing. First time they said they have even heard of having to replace one, and thank the stars it's under warranty. $2300!!!:yikes: Buuuut I have an awesome bike and no more gremlin!!!:yes: Now, to find out where that damned horn is hiding...

I'm happy to see someone else is getting over 40 mpg. The best I got was 44.6 mpg and that was gas station to gas station on route 95 in Fl. I get about 36 mpg here in the north east mountains of Ga. So ride on and be safe.

Mike

Bob Denman
06-06-2013, 06:53 AM
I'm glad to hear that the Fangs are back! :spyder2: :thumbup:

bullant12
06-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Is it me, or is this the first time I've heard of a RS having throttle body issues? It is usually heard on RT's...

Bob Denman
06-06-2013, 07:19 AM
I noticed that also; there's a first time for everything! ;)

SheWolf
06-06-2013, 09:43 AM
That's what I thought, and the tech said the same thing. The RT has the issues, which is why it was put off. RT runs fly by wire where the RS is still cable, so he felt that wasn't the issue. Buuuuuut............when the problems came back for the fourth time, they decided to swap out the TB (thankfully they had already ordered one before just in case, when they ordered the injectors). What a difference!! There was some black crap in the one throat hole; considering I don't lag the bag off it, I ride it in the upper 6k when I do ride, carbon wasn't an issue and the fact there is little miles on it, everyone was scratching their heads. What was even more confusing was with the old TB, the idle air was one full turn OUT, which is a huge variance apparently. They come pre set at the factory and this thing was way out. The new TB was set as it was supposed to be. Maybe I had a Monday machine... :dontknow:
Lol yeah there is a first for everything...I'm getting tired of my stuff being the first for the bad crap. :rolleyes:

boborgera
06-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Lol yeah there is a first for everything...I'm getting tired of my stuff being the first for the bad crap. :rolleyes:

Tell your dealer to make note of it, Then when they come across the same problem with another Spyder they can say , Yea, We seen that before and know how to fix it.....

SheWolf
06-06-2013, 08:47 PM
:thumbup: Yeah this one was put down as a FYI in the tech's brain...and I'm sure with the whole service dept. He was so frustrated that he said 'Now it's become personal!' :gaah:

arntufun
06-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Well...not sure if any of you have had this problem, but after all the hiccups my Mad Pumpkin has had in the short time I've owned it...they finally managed to eradicate the gremlin. It turns out the throttle body was the culprit. The idle air was one full turn out on the stock one...the tech, service writer and the dealer owner were all like wtf...:shocked: So that was fixed, and the problem returned. Sooooooo....they finally decided to replace the throttle body and holy cow, what a difference!:clap: It runs like it was meant to...never had that much zap when I first got it (at least what I thought was normal wasn't, until I rode the dealer's demo RS-S and was shocked), and fuel mileage has gone up to 41 mpg (that's Canuck mpg ;) ) So I'm not complaining. I know there were problems with the RT throttle body, but searched for the RS and came up with nothing. First time they said they have even heard of having to replace one, and thank the stars it's under warranty. $2300!!!:yikes: Buuuut I have an awesome bike and no more gremlin!!!:yes: Now, to find out where that damned horn is hiding...Horn is a easy to locate !!!!!!!! Two panels on the left side. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p_JXqJhZCw0

SheWolf
06-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks Randy, you're a sweetheart. ;)

clayw
11-10-2015, 12:43 PM
I thank can am has a problem with the throttle body I was on a 6000 mi. trip my throttle body quit and I brought spyder home in a u hall truck. It is at the dealers now it will cost me $1300.00 th have a new one installed I only have 22000 mi. on my 2010 RT. I am thinking can am is junk and that is the niceded thing I can say:banghead:

Bob Denman
11-10-2015, 02:32 PM
The OP for this thread has an RS...
Your RT is a completely different ball of wax...

ARtraveler
11-10-2015, 02:36 PM
This particular thread dates back to June/2013.

Bob Denman
11-10-2015, 03:30 PM
:agree: Clayw is fishing for folks in his situation...:banghead:

The trouble is: he won't them in here! nojoke