PDA

View Full Version : MAINTENANCE PLAN

SMOKEYG
06-05-2013, 03:20 PM
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IN MAINTENACE PLAN AND WARRANTY & IS IT WISE TO GET THE MAINTNACE PLAN??

SpyderAnn01
06-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Some people have purchased maintenance plans that pay for scheduled services for a certain period of time ie 600 mile service, oi changes etc. The extended warranty covers you after the initial 2 year warranty expires. You would need ot have the details of the maintenance plan laid out for you so you could do more research on the costs for these services if you paid for them on an as you go basis.

I did not purchase a maintenance plan.

Ga Blue Knight
06-05-2013, 06:18 PM
I'd say a warrentee is vital and you should get as long a warrentee as possible but the maintence plan is just pay now for work later. I'd just pay as I go unless there is a big discount savings.

SMOKEYG
06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
THANX THEY WANT $1900 THEY CLIAM IS SAVE $4000-$5000

Some people have purchased maintenance plans that pay for scheduled services for a certain period of time ie 600 mile service, oi changes etc. The extended warranty covers you after the initial 2 year warranty expires. You would need ot have the details of the maintenance plan laid out for you so you could do more research on the costs for these services if you paid for them on an as you go basis.

I did not purchase a maintenance plan.

SMOKEYG
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
THANX THEY WANT $1900 THEY CLIAM IS SAVE $4000-$5000

I'd say a warrentee is vital and you should get as long a warrentee as possible but the maintence plan is just pay now for work later. I'd just pay as I go unless there is a big discount savings.

M109Dreamer
06-05-2013, 07:15 PM
We got the maintenance plan for the wifes RTS. It covered the 600 mi and 3 more services. I made sure I could choose which service. So I did the 3K and let the dealer to the rest of them up to date. The next one is the 14,500 mile service that is big $$$. And I asked before I agreed to it. For us it saved us over $1K on the services but I would question how much you will be riding and can you take advantage of it. The dealer is counting on you not getting alot of miles and only having to do the lesser of scheduled maintenance for the Spyder. I would just do your research before you decide on how much the services cost in your area. You might find out that it will only save you a few $$$.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

retired1
06-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Is the extended warranty included in the $1900. The 3year BEST warranty usually costs about $900. What is the dealers labor rate and what services are covered and for how long? All of these questions will help you decide the true value of the maintenance plan.
IMO

TicketBait
06-06-2013, 12:46 PM
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE IN MAINTENACE PLAN AND WARRANTY & IS IT WISE TO GET THE MAINTNACE PLAN??

For the $1900 you mentioned how many service appointments do you get, and for what length of time?:popcorn:

When I got my maintenance plan it cost $2600 for 3 maintenance coverages each year.
I put 15-18K miles on the bike each year. I used the plan on every other oil change
which was the big one where they change the plugs and once a year on the major check.
The oil changes were approx. $200+ each time, the Majors were approx. $900+ with valve
check.( If the valves were out of compliance) it was covered.

So in the course of a year I had 4- 5 oil changes of which I paid out of pocket for the two minor ones.

Now BRP has extended the oil change frequency from 3K miles to 4600 miles :thumbup:

Over with out the plan would have cost a minimum of $3900 vs what I paid $2600, so I was ahead of the game by $1300

If you are not putting on the miles, or the dealership is far away from you, or you
don't like the service you receive, then don't get it, cuz you can only use it at that
dealership.
For myself it was the right thing to do. I have the opportunity now that my maintenance
plan expired to renew it (just an insurance policy the dealer gets reimbursed from),
the price on renewal is $2900, and with the possibility I may get a new Spyder in the
next 3 years, I and the extended service intervals I did not take the plan.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/SPYDER%20RTS/th_Spyder018.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/TicketBait/media/smileys/SPYDER%20RTS/Spyder018.jpg.html)

I do have an extended warranty on the bike for 7 years that cost me 1K at purchase.
Used it only once so far. It was offered by Western Ins, with no deductible, however
next time I will purchase the one from BRP.

Some dealerships don't offer this maintenance plan. Mine did because they keep the
business coming in but probably get reimbursed at a lower rate from the insurance company.

I tried to get Berts Mega Mall (Supporting vendor)to offer the maintenance plan, but they don't, :(
they do have very competitive BRP warranty plans, that are good at all BRP dealerships.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/SPYDER%20RTS/th_Spyder011-3.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/TicketBait/media/smileys/SPYDER%20RTS/Spyder011-3.jpg.html)

SMOKEYG
02-04-2014, 06:12 PM
I HUMBLY APOLOGIZE 4 JUST GETTING BAC 2 U. IM NOT ON THIS SITE AS MUCH AS I NEED TO. THE PLAN I BROUGH COVERED 3YRS UP TO 5 SERVICES A YR. MOST IMPORTANT IS TO MAKE SURE USE USE THEM ALL. THE NEW MILLAGE EXTENXSION WORKED TO MY FAVOR. IM COMING UP ON MY 14,OOO SERVICE WHICH IS THE FIRST BIG 1 & THAT WILL BE FREE.

jcthorne
02-04-2014, 07:22 PM
BRP no longer offers the prepaid maintenance plans. Has not since last fall. Extended warranty out to 5 yrs only.

captblack
02-05-2014, 07:16 AM
I am on my second dealer maintenance plan and, for me, it has been worth it. The first plan paid for 6 services - 4 'minor' and 2 'major' in two years. Since I was logging a lot of miles I used those services up in 14 months! My second plan covers more service - unlimited - for 2 years and also includes tire and brake replacement.

The good news is that I have had the tires replaced so that saved $350 right there. I have also had a major service done (valve inspection and rear bearing service) which is over $700 so the plan is still paying for itself. The bad news is that I also own a Vulcan 900 which I have ridden almost daily since September so I am not putting near as many miles on the Spyder as before.

I have a BEST warranty so I'm set and will probably not get another maintenance plan when this one is expired - unless I start riding the Spyder more in the future. I have a 2011 that has 34,000 miles so it is well broken in ...

donec
02-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Another side to the maintenance plan is will you have the money later when service is needed. If not and you have the money now it may be worth it to pay now and have the peace of mind that when you need service it is paid for. I know that was one of the deciding factors for my deciding on getting a service plan. I had some cash when I got my new 2013 rs that I would not have later.