PDA

View Full Version : Made new friends then we got robbed

SpyderAnn01
06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Well yesterday started off great we had made plans to ride with a Spyder owner from Grand Junction, CO and his wife who are visiting Las Vegas. Joe and I and our Spyder friend Robin met Brent & Staci in the morning and we had a nice but hot ride through Red Rock Conservation area then lunch in Bonnie Springs. It was really nice to meet them and I hope they enjoy the rest of their trip.

We left them in the afternoon and went home and after dinner we took our dogs to the dog park around 9:00 pm like we do most every night. We got back home around 10:30 to find that our house had been ransacked and robbed. They had probably been watching our house and knew our habits and that we had guns. Or maybe they were just lucky. They made a real mess emptying out all of our dresser drawers and dumping everything on the floor in the closets. I wish they would have realized that I just have clothes in my drawers and closets!:sour:

:gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::g aah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah:

scooterexpress
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
wow so sorry that happened well i hope they get the guys that did it.hope someone heres something or saw them.

Jeriatric
06-05-2013, 12:00 PM
So sorry!

Been there. After the fact it was all very clear. A young girl setting on the curb every morning on my way to the shop.......always seemed odd. After the break in, she was never there again.

In six months you'll go to get something and discover it's gone too.

Really sorry for what has happened to you.

flamingobabe
06-05-2013, 12:10 PM
wow...that is so wrong on so many levels...good luck in catching the crooks...

mxz600
06-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Sorry to here of your misfortune Ann.

Connie and I were broken into a few years ago. It's an odd feeling knowing somebody was rummaging through your personal stuff.

The bad thing is they broke in through a basement window and somehow broke a water line. By the time we got home from work there was about 6,000 gallons of water in our basement. But the worst part for us was they got some heirlooms that can never be replaced at any cost.

vrodrjs
06-05-2013, 12:19 PM
That sucks! Been there before. Glad it was over and done before you guys got back. My wife walked in on them when they were in our house, scary stuff. Hope they didn't get much and that the police didn't make a huge mess with the finger print powder.

Some Guy
06-05-2013, 12:20 PM
:wrong:

Too bad you couldn't have caught them in the act. I'm sure they would have needed new underwear after looking down a couple barrels pointed at them.

vrodrjs
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Sorry to here of your misfortune Ann.

Connie and I were broken into a few years ago. It's an odd feeling knowing somebody was rummaging through your personal stuff.

The bad thing is they broke in through a basement window and somehow broke a water line. By the time we got home from work there was about 6,000 gallons of water in our basement. But the worst part for us was they got some heirlooms that can never be replaced at any cost.

Sounds like they watched "Home Alone" one too many times with the water thing.

bullant12
06-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Been there. After the fact it was all very clear. A young girl setting on the curb every morning on my way to the shop.......always seemed odd. After the break in, she was never there again.

Now that you mentioned it... my neighbor made a comment the other day about some kids knocking on doors and then running away after someone answered. Then he went to mentioned he finally caught one and started studdering about being a "birthday prank" but he's almost sure that it is part of a gang. I got my alarm on, guns and valuables in safe, but when they want to they will get in. Thinking about adding camaras now...

Sorry to hear about your break in, Ann... Good luck!

Bob Ledford
06-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Have a frien who has been burglarized three times in 30 years. You never get over the fear of coming home to it again. Of course it is to late now but you might want to do it for future time.n take your digital camera and open everything in your home and take photo's of them and the contents. Put them on a memory stick and lock it in your home safe.

Takes me about 4 hours to do our home with Anne's help. We have a lot of stuff to photograph and most of it is my "I might need that some day stuff"

muonwhiz
06-05-2013, 01:19 PM
I have 2 very large and protective Doberman pinschers that are in the house and burglars would have to be certifiably insane to break in there. It would be a quick trip to the hospital for them. And that is if I'm not home- far worse if I am! But I'm so sorry it happened to you! Sounds like so spyder riding therapy is in order!

ARtraveler
06-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Sorry to hear of the break-in. Our thoughts go with you. Hoping they catch the slime bags.

Spyder Smyles
06-05-2013, 01:26 PM
OMG so sorry to hear this happened to you but very glad you didn't get hurt in the process.

PrairieSpyder
06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of this. I was robbed in Hungary & it just ruined the whole trip. It would be much worse to have been my home.

MouthPiece
06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
In my area/county 3% of the burglaries reported are solved. AND 20% of the 3% are those where the Defendant(s), after having been caught for a specific burglary, wind up confessing to several others that they committed.

I'm sorry that there are people out there that don't know how to get an honest job and earn a living. Bob Ledford made an excellent suggestion in his earlier post.

Chris

Blue Star
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I, like others, have had it happen to me. I hope they find your stuff, and the crook.

bullant12
06-05-2013, 02:02 PM
n take your digital camera and open everything in your home and take photo's of them and the contents. Put them on a memory stick and lock it in your home safe.

Takes me about 4 hours to do our home with Anne's help. We have a lot of stuff to photograph and most of it is my "I might need that some day stuff"

Bob Ledford made an excellent suggestion in his earlier post.

:agree: In one of those rare cases, Chris, I read that a burgler got caught because he took an item to get it pawned. As smart as they are, the criminal went to a pawn shop nearby the burglarized home, and the police had a record of serial numbers of items stolen given to local pawn shops. So to add to Bob's suggestion, write down the serial numbers of ALL the possible items. You never know how it will re-appear.
:thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-05-2013, 02:13 PM
:agree: Start putting together a list of the stuff that they got; your insurance company adjuster will be asking for it...
Do you have your personal property covered on a "replacement cost" basis?

bullant12
06-05-2013, 02:16 PM
:agree: Start putting together a list of the stuff that they got; your insurance company adjuster will be asking for it...
Do you have your personal property covered on a "replacement cost" basis?

Faster than a speeding State Farm... Have no fear... Bob the Insurance Man is here!:yes::yes:

Actually... post #19?!?! You're slacking!

:roflblack:

grumpybob
06-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry to here about the break-in. Hope they get caught! People are just not any good anymore.

Chupaca
06-05-2013, 02:27 PM
So we can sympathize with you. It will take a long time to get over but you will. Glad you are all fine and only have the mess to straighten up and replace whats missing if possible...:pray:

SpyderAnn01
06-05-2013, 04:00 PM
7 Handguns, 1 Rifle and a ton of ammo along with 3 backpacks to haul off the goods in. All the guns were registered so that helps a lot. I know that our insurance covers guns up to $10,000 but I'm not sure what the answer to Bob's question is.
and we do have replacement cost coverage.

On the bright side my closets are now organized again!

witty
06-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your bad news. I hope things get better soon.:gaah:

Ga Blue Knight
06-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Really glad you did not walk in on them! That could lead to all kinds of bad. Sorry about the break in!

Daisyjoe
06-05-2013, 04:34 PM
BEEN THERE ALSO!! It is a terrible feeling knowing someone has been in your home. They never caught my thief. I am glad ya'll are OK.

jerpinoy
06-05-2013, 04:39 PM
We cannot stop burglar,thieves unless thy're dead. or we can slow them down by having alarms, surveillance

camera. I installed a lot of cameras around my house even most of them are duds. Strange dogs don't

even try to get closes to my property.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: I have a warning signs "BEWARE DOG BITES" and "

"HOUSE OWNER BITE DOGS" :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
06-05-2013, 05:06 PM
If it appeared that they targeted the firearms; could it be that they knew what to look for? :shocked:

dave01
06-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Had 2 break-ins in 2 years. First one, the guns, tv and a lot of rc cars/helicopters taken.
The second one, I was home in the back of the house, they got in the garage and stole my atv. I really hate thieves. Sorry you had to go thru this. My place is now like Fort knox, cameras, motion sensors, audio recording etc. Taught my Furby to be a lookout for me too.

arris
06-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Well yesterday started off great we had made plans to ride with a Spyder owner from Grand Junction, CO and his wife who are visiting Las Vegas. Joe and I and our Spyder friend Robin met Brent & Staci in the morning and we had a nice but hot ride through Red Rock Conservation area then lunch in Bonnie Springs. It was really nice to meet them and I hope they enjoy the rest of their trip.

We left them in the afternoon and went home and after dinner we took our dogs to the dog park around 9:00 pm like we do most every night. We got back home around 10:30 to find that our house had been ransacked and robbed. They had probably been watching our house and knew our habits and that we had guns. Or maybe they were just lucky. They made a real mess emptying out all of our dresser drawers and dumping everything on the floor in the closets. I wish they would have realized that I just have clothes in my drawers and closets!:sour:

:gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::g aah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah:
I had the same thing happen to me. I used to live in Levittown and would come to my mothers house in a small town called Nanticoke PA to hunt deer for a week of vacation. My neighbor had a key to our house and nothing was bothered. In the local pa per there was an article that said if you are going away. :banghead:notify the local police and they would watch your house on there runs at night. On Monday morning our neighbor checked our house and there was a window smashed in our bedroom. That is how they got in. I had to cancel mt deer hunting and come home. Not saying the police had anything with it BUT.ssssssssssssss theretehere aaaaaaa wwwwwwwddddddd Ooooour neighbor MMMMMmmmmO

SpyderAnn01
06-05-2013, 05:59 PM
We had warranty work done on our house a couple weeks ago and those workers would have been able to tell that we had guns. Our dogs are good alarms but they were with us. I think we will start leaving 2 dogs at home and invest in some cameras.

oldgoat
06-05-2013, 06:12 PM
As with all the others, I'm very sorry to read about the thefts. Happened twice to us, the first time they got my wife's engagement ring & we had only been married a year.

I am against capital punishment but if I had a gun & caught people in my house I'm pretty darn sure I would shoot the b**tards.

Hope the insurance claim goes smoothly.

Netminder
06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Also very sorry to hear this! We got robbed last year, didn't get much as we came home and they headed out the back, but they knew what we had . New alarm system, IP camera, bars on the windows. It is like Fort Knox which is sad because we live in the country, but we have to protect ourselves.

IGETAROUND
06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
As was said sorry just doesn't cover this territory. Glad you and your spouse were not physically injured. "Stuff" can be replaced; you and a loved one can't!!! Glad you're both alright:yikes:

flaggerphil
06-05-2013, 07:09 PM
We had warranty work done on our house a couple weeks ago and those workers would have been able to tell that we had guns. Our dogs are good alarms but they were with us. I think we will start leaving 2 dogs at home and invest in some cameras.

Did you have a gun safe?

SpyderAnn01
06-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Did you have a gun safe?

Sadly we did not. My husband has been wanting one but it wasn't in the budget.

Motorcycledave
06-05-2013, 07:54 PM
That happened to us as well found out who it was our neighbors kid...
my kid was the same age as him and he kicked his A*# but good, just before
the police arrived and took him to the slam....

We left them in the afternoon and went home and after dinner we took our dogs to the dog park around 9:00 pm like we do most every night. We got back home around 10:30 to find that our house had been ransacked and robbed. They had probably been watching our house and knew our habits and that we had guns. Or maybe they were just lucky. They made a real mess emptying out all of our dresser drawers and dumping everything on the floor in the closets. I wish they would have realized that I just have clothes in my drawers and closets!

Firefly
06-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Sure sorry to hear about this. Been there... it sucks.

So guns were stolen? I absolutely hate to hear when that happens.... and it happens a lot. Now those guns will be used for other crimes... sold on the black market, etc.

No offense... but I really wish it was law that guns have to be properly locked up when you're away from them. I think that's only reasonable.

I had some gun safety instructors that went to a restaurant next to my business right after a training class... left the guns in the car and they were stolen while they ate. :banghead:

Things can be replaced, but it is difficult to regain a sense of security under such circumstances. Sure glad neither of you or your dogs were hurt. I've always felt a good big dog is a great deterrent... but then you risk them getting hurt.

Good luck with your settlement and re-securing your house!

Desert Spyder
06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't know much about guns other than they go boom but are thieves less inclined to take guns with trigger locks on them? I know many Spyder owners carry concealed weapons with or without a permit. And I can understand their reasons. I am considering getting a firearm in the future myself. America is not in Pleasantville any longer.

Firefly
06-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Actually crime is much lower then back in the so-called 'good old days'.

Desert Spyder
06-06-2013, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=Firefly;635507]Actually crime is much lower then back in the so-called 'good old days'.[/QUOTE

It is? I googled up crime stats and found http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

While it is true crime has been declining for the past 20 years, the time of Pleasantville was probably late 50s early 60s if not earlier. Murder today or 2011 is a little lower but look at rape! Three times higher!

Someone once told me the spark for the higher crime rate was the Kennedy assassination. I was 12 then. Six years later, or when the late Boomers were graduating, Vietnam was the daily headline. Look at those stats. It lasted a generation.

I expect this thread to be moved but I like a good conversation without too much debate.

Firefly
06-06-2013, 11:58 PM
I'll send you a PM if your want to discuss my crime stats statement more.
I don't want to derail this thread any more than I have.

Sure hope they can find these punks that broke into their house. Many, if not most burglaries are done by someone the family has had contact with. In this case, I sure would suspect some of the construction workers!

lookerjdc
06-07-2013, 12:21 AM
wow.... that totally sucks...

hope there wasnt much damage....

its so amazing what some people do........

Desert Spyder
06-07-2013, 04:51 PM
I'll send you a PM if your want to discuss my crime stats statement more.
I don't want to derail this thread any more than I have.

Sure hope they can find these punks that broke into their house. Many, if not most burglaries are done by someone the family has had contact with. In this case, I sure would suspect some of the construction workers!

Definitely not a random burglary. I believe Ann and Joe knows or have seen the perps.

Blue Star
06-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Definitely not a random burglary. I believe Ann and Joe knows or have seen the perps.

When I was broke in I was sitting on my couch waiting for my wife to get the kids ready so we could go to the store. Watched a guy ride is bicycle down the street, and thought that was strange since he was older, and people riding bicycles was very rare for that area. Even kids did not ride their bikes in the street.

Left about 10 minutes later to go to the store, came back about 45 minutes later, wife started making lunch, and I notice file cabinet busted into. Did not get much, but still. While waiting for the police to come I talked to my neighbor across the street, and she said she saw this same guy on the bicycle come up to the front door, knock, and go around to the side door (we used it as the front entrance since next to garage). She did not bother to watch any more than that. He knew we had left as our car was gone.

Ask the neighbors, I would bet someone saw them, but thought nothing of it. Just like my neighbor did not think nothing of it, figured it was someone I knew, as he acted like he belonged there.

SpyderAnn01
06-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I talked to a next door neighbor yesterday and he said that he was out watering his flowers late one evening and he noticed a car that circled the neighborhood. He thought it was odd and he even thought about calling the police but he didn't.

WackyDan
06-07-2013, 10:43 PM
7 Handguns, 1 Rifle and a ton of ammo along with 3 backpacks to haul off the goods in. All the guns were registered so that helps a lot. I know that our insurance covers guns up to $10,000 but I'm not sure what the answer to Bob's question is.
and we do have replacement cost coverage.

On the bright side my closets are now organized again!

Did you happen to have the firearms secured? EDIT--- I see now that you didn't.

WackyDan
06-07-2013, 10:56 PM
I don't know much about guns other than they go boom but are thieves less inclined to take guns with trigger locks on them? I know many Spyder owners carry concealed weapons with or without a permit. And I can understand their reasons. I am considering getting a firearm in the future myself. America is not in Pleasantville any longer.

Trigger locks do not prevent theft. They are designed to prevent accidental/unintended discharge ( which should never be called an accident anyway). You'd be amazed how easy it is to remove the trigger lock with some hand tools.

That said, even some gun safes aren't all that secure but the point is to buy your valuables time and the more hassle a thief has to go through the less likely he/she will attempt to bust open your safe. This video is a bit over the top, but you get the idea -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M Some have suggested it is worth more in the long run to build a hidden closet/access door into your house as a far better form of security from theft. Just don't be like my brother... Who insists that the lock on his front door constitutes the security of his firearms :banghead:.

Don't mean to derail the thread... but it can be the source of good advice for others who have not had the misfortune of being robbed - YET.

SpyderAnn01
06-08-2013, 09:39 AM
We will be buying a gun safe upon our return from Maggie Valley in the meantime the guns and ammo that they didn't get have been relocated to a friend's house.

Arr MiHardies
06-08-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't think it is a coincidence at all that this occurred the day after school got out for the summer.

SpyderAnn01
06-08-2013, 04:39 PM
I don't think it is a coincidence at all that this occurred the day after school got out for the summer.before

Justin it happened the day before school got out and I really don't think it was kids. They were very methodical even the cop figures they were pros.

spydrluvr
06-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Anne, I am so very sorry. Glad though, that even though your home was invaded, you were not hurt. Thoughts and prayers to both of you.

rhansen309
06-08-2013, 05:06 PM
So sorry to hear about the break in. I hope they catch them and you get to feeling safe again!!!