PDA

View Full Version : The little bolts on the y-pipe, why are they there?

NoJive
06-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Just noticed in the past week that my Spyder was running rough/backfiring/stuttering, etc. Just replaced the exhaust gaskets a couple weeks ago, but was thinking perhaps one of the clamps may have came loose. In my checking, I noticed one of the little bolts/plugs that are in the bend on the Y pipe was missing. I had something similar that I screwed in until I can get a proper replacement, and the Spyder runs smooth once again. But, that got me to wondering what their purpose is?

NancysToy
06-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Did you remove the O2 sensor, or are you talking about above that, in the split portion of the pipe? Hard to tell where you are looking without a picture.

mcaccamise
06-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Doesent sound like just a bolt would make a difference in running must have been some other plug or O2 that came out? Need some picks to sort it out for u.

Chupaca
06-04-2013, 11:22 PM
there are some little bolts I believe are drains...if you lost one could bring on the backfire again but should not cause the roadster to run bad...:dontknow:

ivanlee
06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Just noticed in the past week that my Spyder was running rough/backfiring/stuttering, etc. Just replaced the exhaust gaskets a couple weeks ago, but was thinking perhaps one of the clamps may have came loose. In my checking, I noticed one of the little bolts/plugs that are in the bend on the Y pipe was missing. I had something similar that I screwed in until I can get a proper replacement, and the Spyder runs smooth once again. But, that got me to wondering what their purpose is?
That is a port for checking the back pressure in the exhaust system. :ohyea:

boborgera
06-05-2013, 07:14 AM
They're called Hex plugs, 10mm. Used to monitor emissions, With an exhaust sensor..
Totally useless for the owner......

NoJive
06-05-2013, 07:25 AM
They're called Hex plugs, 10mm. Used to monitor emissions, With an exhaust sensor..
Totally useless for the owner......

You are probably right! I can tell you when one is missing, the Spyder runs just like the gaskets are bad. Here is a pic of said bolt/plug:

Sarge707
06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
You are probably right! I can tell you when one is missing, the Spyder runs just like the gaskets are bad. Here is a pic of said bolt/plug:

Thanks, I,m going to keep this in my sub-conscious for future use if needed!:clap: