PDA

View Full Version : 800 miles on '13 RS-S: Impressions

Tanshanomi
06-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Last Thursday afternoon, I traded in my Suzuki S50 on a brand-new new RS-S SM5. I took it on a 750 mile trip over the weekend, and it left me with a couple of impressions:

1) I love the seat. It was comfortable for a full tank of gas. Roomy enough that I could move forward and back enough to keep from getting saddle-numb, and it seems just the right density.
2) The slightly higher 2013 bars are just about perfect for me. (I'm 6' / 165 lbs.) The bar-peg-seat relationship works well even for longer distances. At higher speeds the wind over the low shield buoys your torso somewhat, keeping the weight off your arms, so a taller windshield would probably be a detriment. I am glad I didn't go with the ST's higher bars and windshield.
3) I loved the handling. It was very crisp and flat compared to my wife's '12 RT w/ Baja Ron sway bar.
4) Build quality and refinement are disappointing for an 18K+ vehicle. The engine feels like an old tractor, coarse and rough. There's significant vibration between 4000-5000 RPM, and giving it more than half throttle below 4K felt like it was detonating and/or "lugging" like a jackhammer. That being said, it smoothed out nicely above 5000 RPM. Also, there was a strange intermittent chatter at highway speeds, the way I imagine a sloppy drive belt or an unbalanced wheel would feel. My wife's RT SM5 doesn't exhibit any of these rough symptoms.
5) The suspension soaks up bumps admirably well. Rough roads that would jar my spine on the S50 are hardly noticeable on the RSS.
6) I feel so much more secure on 3 wheels. I've already ridden serenely and calmly through pouring rain, 30MPH gusty crosswinds and broken pavement that would have had me gritting my teeth on a bike.
7) If you don't want strangers to come up and talk to you, don't pull up as a couple riding both an RT and RS-S.

Chupaca
06-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Nice re-cap. Glad you are enjoying your new ryde. You do have to run them at high rpm's. Not familiar with the RT's, ST's or any se5's but our RS sm5 runs best above 5,000 rpm's really only use 5th gear on freeways when doing over 70 mph. Must have been a fun ryde..keep enjoying..!! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
06-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Nice report. It is funny how you really like the seat and the low windshield as those are the first things that a lot of people change. Keep enjoying!

Flanker
06-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Not sure if the seats are the same on the '12 and '13 RSSs...........................but I agree with your assessment!

Tanshanomi
06-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Nice report. It is funny how you really like the seat and the low windshield as those are the first things that a lot of people change. Keep enjoying!

Keep in mind that I'm just coming off a cruiser with a very short seat with prominent step in it:

Also, I've never had a motorcycle with a fairing or windscreen. I did try small windshields on two of my bikes but soon took them off because I didn't like the constant buffeting at helmet level. The RS windscreen works with the bars; if you changed one you'd have to change the other. If I changed to a larger windscreen, I would want something that deflected the wind all the way over my helmet, Within in that pocket of still air, the bars would then be a bit low, forcing me to either tense up my core to hold myself up or support my weight on my arms. Likewise, if you put ST bars on an RS without a higher windscreen, the riding position would be like a cruiser: you're a sail having to constantly hold yourself against the force of the wind.

3 wheeler
06-04-2013, 07:50 PM
This engine definitely likes to live above 4000 rpms. Once you get used to that, it's really smooth and powerful. I love the engine.

Bob Denman
06-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks for your assessment! :thumbup: Perhaps some of the "buzziness" could be the new drive belt having stretched a bit? :dontknow:

HuckFin
06-05-2013, 08:27 PM
I also have a 2013 RS-S, only mine is the SE5 with a few hundred more miles than you have. So far I'm not getting any vibration throughout the entire RPM range...Runs just as smooth at 2000 RPM as 7000 RPM. Have you checked your drive belt alignment and tension?...Of course I suppose it could be alot of things.

Tanshanomi
06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
I stopped by the dealer this morning (to get a tank bag strap I'd left on my trade-in), and one of the guys asked me how I liked my new Spyder. I mentioned that my RS-S seemed to run much rougher than my wife's RT. He nodded and said he'd noticed the same thing. "It's the footpegs."
Huh?
"You're feeling a lot of vibration through the footpegs. The RT's pegs or floorboards are much better damped, so you don't notice it so much. The RS's feel like they could be bolted directly to the crankcases."

I thought that was a very interesting observation from a guy who has ridden enough different Spyders to know.
Anybody else with similar observations?