PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Spyder Envy

WILL333
06-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Hello, I’ve just joined your site because the bug to have a Spyder has finally bitten me pretty hard. I saw one years ago, thought…”I should check them out.” But, never did. The other day a saw one pass by on the road and said the same thing, only now I’m looking seriously. I’d very much like to buy new, but think used would be the best move for me at first. My model interest is mainly focused on the ST. The Limited would be nice but I think is probably outta my price range. So a plain ol’ ST.

So my three starter questions are these:
1. Are there any model years that are better than others? I know the 2013’s are “all new”, but when looking for a used bike, is there a year to avoid or look for?
2. What about dealerships? We’re pretty limited here, even in the Philadelphia suburbs. I plan to visit East Coast Cycle in Bensalem PA. They claim to be the east coasts’ largest dealer. Has anyone had experience with them, good or bad, they’d like to share? I have noted there doesn’t seem to be any bashing of specific dealers here, so if the topic is verboten in the public forum, please send me a PM. Are there any online sites to look for used machines?
3. Is there anyone in the local area to me, Norristown PA, that'd be interested in showing me thier Spyder up close and personal? I know I can check them out at the dealerships, and will, but I don't want to talk only to a salesman...I wanna talk to a real owner and rider. I'm not a psycho or a crook so you can trust me not to bop you on the head and take off with your machine.

I very much appreciate any and all comments or help. This’ll be my first bike after going through the Pennsylvania motorcycle riders safety course and getting my riders license over 10 years ago. Guess I should take advantage of that privilege.

Thanks all,
Will

Chupaca
06-03-2013, 11:34 AM
:welcome: As to the years to look for most any with lower mileage. They all should have had all updates done. Check dealers, ebay motors, local papers and here. As for help with your area I'm of no use but some will be along who are..good luck..!! :thumbup:

spydercowboy
06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
It may be just me and the threads I've read but does seem like the 2010's have had their share of problems. That could just be me but even if I'm right, most of those problems should already been taken care of. As far as dealer goes, find one and then ask if anyone can comment. Your main concern is the mechanics though, not the dealer as such. Could buy from any then search and ride to the good ones. I personally prefer used bikes. Most problems have been fixed, some upgrades and the depreciation won't hurt as bad.

SpyderAnn01
06-03-2013, 12:09 PM
The ST was new in 2013 so if that is what you want you'll have to pony up. I had a 2010 RTS and had very few problems in 59,000 miles. Can't help you with PA questions but I'm sure someone will chime in.

bullant12
06-03-2013, 12:19 PM
:welcome: like you, I started this forum as an observer, then jumped the gun on a 2010 RT A&C with SM5 (clutch) transmition. You are doing the right thing going around the forums to do your homework.

Not much help on helping you decide on the dealer, but in my experience, the best thing is to ask not only the sales person, but the GM, the Service Manager and get a GOOD feel on the dealer. And of course, ask other PA owners, I am sure they can point you to the right direction. Also another good reference is to use websites like Yelp to see reviews of the dealers.

As far as which model year, that has many factors to look. In a nutshell, as long as you take care of your baby, regardless of year, she will take care of you. Good dealer, proper care and knowing what to do are the key factors.

The ST is the new model in the family. So you can go ahead and spring for it or wait a few years, but the ST is the combination of the RT and RS, so you get the best of both worlds and a little more, so I would go for it regardless of year!

Good luck!:thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
:welcome: You have asked a lot of great questions. I am not familiar with the PA dealers, but locals will give you some good suggestions on that I am sure.

Good years/bad years. There were some issues with the 2010's (first year RT). I bought a premier edition anyway--since that it what I wanted. Traded in a 2008 (first year :spyder2:) on the 2010. I have 31,000 major glitch free miles so far. I had no major problems with the 2008 (23,500 miles at trade-in time). RE: 2013's. Once again a new design, and there have been some start up hiccups. I went into a wait and see mode on this one and wont purchase a 2013 new at this time. Instead, I purchased a new 2011 last summer (2012) and am quite happy with that at 6,500 miles now.

I recommend checking the history on any used :ani29: purchased. The dealer can run the machine on BUD's and you can call up a record of repairs, and recalls (if any) completed. If the owner was on Spyderlovers--they sometimes post good/bad about their specific :spyder2:. There are mostly good used ones out there--but you could also run into a bad one, so I recommend due dilligence on purchasing.

Let us know how the hunt goes.

Cruzr Joe
06-03-2013, 01:10 PM
check Spyders to the rescue and see if anyone is in your area and they probably would be willing to let you look at their Spyder up close and answer any questions

Cruzr Joe

bullant12
06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
check Spyders to the rescue and see if anyone is in your area and they probably would be willing to let you look at their Spyder up close and answer any questions

Cruzr Joe

:agree: Also Facebook has several :spyder2: groups including SRA chapters in the area.

WILL333
06-03-2013, 01:36 PM
:agree: Also Facebook has several :spyder2: groups including SRA chapters in the area.

I shoulda thought of that. Thank you both.

Bob Denman
06-03-2013, 02:35 PM
2011 and later RSs :thumbup: (Had to sort out the DPS...)
2012 and later RTs :thumbup: (First year...)
The STs... :dontknow:
Happy Hunting! :D

PrairieSpyder
06-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I can't really offer any advice on dealers in your area, but :welcome:!

I like when people go from lurking to posting questions to buying. It's fun to see others come into the Spyderverse.

Enjoy your search and I can't wait to see the pics and your stories of how you decided what to get and why.

MidLifeCrisis
06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
2012 and later RTs :thumbup: (First year...)

Why not the earlier ones? Can't say I've read anyone having more or less issues with the 10s and 11s at this point. When the RT was just released, they were no doubt buggy. Then came the 2011s with a bunch of knee jerk reactionary changes that would go into limp mode if you looked at them wrong. Things have been pretty quiet since last summer, after BRP finally resolved most of the issues, and the dealers learned how to service them. There are some good deals on 10s and 11s and with the verification of maintenance and campaigns would make nice rides. JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FlaBound
06-03-2013, 08:16 PM
May want to get in touch with some of these folks; http://www.pennsylvaniaspyderryders.org/forum/

I joined, but have not participated in anything as yet. I'm a good bit south from most of their events.
Seems like a nice group of arachnids

Ga Blue Knight
06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
The first year of each model (2008 for RS and 2010 for RT) had their share of issues but since the the running gear is pretty much the same for all Spyders softwear updates and mechanical upgrades should have been retrofitted back. The 2010 RT does have a more complicated electrical system than later RT's but that has not been an issue with them. By far many of the problems that you may see here of the forum are related to poor Dealer setup, first model year issues, or rider lack of knowledge with the unique riding requirements of the Spyder. For instance keeping RPMs above 4,000 RPMs I would look for any year model with low miles and the equipment and options that you would like. Buying options and installing them yourself is expensive and I'm most cases on a used bike they are almost free.

Riker
06-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Welcome !! I actually go to Hanover Motorsports ( PA obviously :p ). It is an hour each way, but I swear by the mechanic, Ryan. If you want to travel a little, may be well worth the trip :).

FaranH
06-03-2013, 09:51 PM
You'll get all kinds of good feedback on which years/models may be "better." I'm partial to the RS model and have had a 2011 and 2012 RSS. Not a single issue or problem with either except for some annoying brake squealing at low speeds (which got a little embarrassing in a parade one year). But very, very minor compared to overall performance. Not sure which model you think you might be most interested in, but I like the sportiness and simplicity the RS. Let us know what you decide.:doorag:

cyclelover63
06-03-2013, 10:17 PM
You'll get all kinds of good feedback on which years/models may be "better." I'm partial to the RS model and have had a 2011 and 2012 RSS. Not a single issue or problem with either except for some annoying brake squealing at low speeds (which got a little embarrassing in a parade one year). But very, very minor compared to overall performance. Not sure which model you think you might be most interested in, but I like the sportiness and simplicity the RS. Let us know what you decide.:doorag:

I agree with FaranH....If you are looking for a historically reliable Spyder,the GS and RS would be the way to go...I had a 2009 GS and never had a lick of trouble out of it...

iibgdi
06-04-2013, 09:38 AM
New member here too. I've never rode a motorcycle other than little mini-bikes as a kid. The wife has always bugged me about getting a motorcycle but frankly, with my lack of experience, I never even considered it. Not even remotely. Part of it is not trusting myself to keep from killing myself on it, (or some idiot texting and wiping us out) and part of it being we have been so busy raising the kids that I had zero interest or time to do or think about anything else.

Now that the kids are basically off to college, I'm starting to consider some things that we can do to keep ourselves busy. I recently became aware of the Spyder and have been lurking this board for a couple of days and doing a little behind the scenes searching into the subject and looking at used Spyders in the area. (there aren't a lot)

Initially, I could see us just getting 1 spyder and seeing how we like it. Something that would be comfortable for both of us. From what I can tell, I am thinking the RT but it might be more $ than I am wanting to spend right now as I don't take out loans for stuff like this....

What would be a good model and year for us as a starter if I'm wanting to keep it in the low to mid teens, price wise?

BTW, this is a great board and it's very obvious that you can learn a ton on here. It's kind of exciting to me as I am not mechanically inclined AT ALL!

mob133
06-04-2013, 06:32 PM
two good choices would be blackmans up in Emmaus or smithmarine in Doylestown . I deal with both for spyder and snowmobile stuff. Blackmans will probably have more selection of used, when I spoke to smith this weekend they had nothing and were trying to keep up with new sales ,but things change daily.if you have any questions I can answer send me a pm with you phone#