PDA

View Full Version : Toss this about...

bruiser
06-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Diesel engines. Powerstroke or Duramax. What experience do y'all have if any.

grumpybob
06-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Diesel engines. Powerstroke or Duramax. What experience do y'all have if any.

Had a 7.3 Powerstroke. It was great, never had a problem with it. The new Powerstroke's aren't that good in my opinion. It would be a toss up between the two for me.

Go with what you feel more comfortable with.

SpyderDen
06-03-2013, 10:14 AM
I have a 2011 6.7L Powerstroke and love it. Tons of torque and decent fuel economy.

bruiser
06-03-2013, 12:27 PM
The 7.3 was a good engine. Unfortunately it was to expensive for Navistar/Ford to re-engineer it to meet new EPA standards. The early 6.0 was a piece of junk and cost Ford a bunch of money in warranty claims and buybacks. The 6.9 is a good engine with all the refinements gained from the all the other 6 series engines. The 6.7 is made by Ford.

The Duramax has been pretty reliable with some issues in the earlier iteration. Namely injector failures. That problem cost GM some heavy bucks too. The new Bosch system took care of that. Duramax is a joint GM/Isuzu engine. The 6.9 is mostly a GM design engine and is made by GM at it's engine plant in Ohio.

I had some dealings with the Duramax in the Kodiak frame. This particular set up was with an Allison automatic transmission. The Engine worked pretty damn good. The tranny, not so good.

My neighbor has a 2013 F250 with the Powerstroke and 6 speed auto. Likes it so far.