PDA

View Full Version : Regret buying this piece so crap !

Edsts
06-03-2013, 09:18 AM
Like I have said in many other occasions . For the money this machine cost they should have built it way better . All the issues I am having is frustrating and just bout done with it . Between the heat and the battery issues now clutch issues . A clicking noise coming from my left shock then at my first service the tech tells me to stay on top of the oil cus the can am burn lots of oil , then again dealer is also idiots . My sts is not even 1 week shy of being 2 month old . I have been at the dealer 3 times already and the second time I had to leave it for bout a week . Here in the east coast we only have few month of to ride . These issues driving me crazy they just did not equipped these units with a bigger battery . Then they sell all these after market accessories to try to keep the dam thing cool . Again imma spending $20.000.00 I should not have to buy any thing accessories for that . Confidence level is low I am scared of being stranded .

Me too taught it was cool machine in terms of getting one and having fun . I had lots of bikes and all my bikes together I did not have issues like this one . Like any thing else when every thing is working it is fun to ride . Next season I will be giving this to my fiancée or selling it , getting back on my gsxr1000 or picking up a gold wing !

spydercowboy
06-03-2013, 09:44 AM
It does seem like the more money you fork over, the more trouble you have. That's one reason I buy used. Let the first owner have all the headaches and heartaches. Plus depreciation. Hate that part. You'll be better off fighting through this now though and sell in a few years because of depreciation. Good luck though what ever you do.

SpyderAnn01
06-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Wow, I guess you really aren't happy with your Spyder. I read your other threads and I see that you had a problem with your tail light staying on after the key was off. Did you add any lighting like HIDs or the fog lights that you were inquiring about? They may have contributed to your problem.

Other than the tail light you complained about the cost of the 600 miles service which at $400 is pretty high so if I were you I would look for another dealer for service. Or make sure you get them to give you an estimate before you have them do any service. I recently had my 600 mile service done on my RT and I was only charged for 1 hour labor (I did my own oil change).

My old Spyder typically used a quart of oil in 3000 miles which I don't think was excessive. My new Spyder has 3,000 miles on it and it hasn't used any oil yet. You should check the oil on all of your vehicles at regular intervals so the Spyder is no different in that.

I'm sure that nothing I have to say will change your mind so I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do with your Spyder.

Derek Paisley
06-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Sorry to hear.

I hope it works out for you! I expect your issues are attributed to your dealer.

D

Edsts
06-03-2013, 09:53 AM
My sts is fully stock no HID's and LEDs yet , I really want to customize it to my liking . I decided to hold off a bit till I get these issues worked out . The first service was a joke the dealer got me . The report at the end said they inspected every thing and retorque the motor mounts then it also said filter and oil change . Wat a joke I could of done that my self . I usually take all my bikes for the first service . My fiancée wants me to keep it and I really do want to dress it up . For now I am just gonna ride it as much as I can this season .

bullant12
06-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Once in a while we get a complainer. Then takes the :spyder2: to a different dealer and they are happier than Eddie Money running a travel agency (2 tickets to paradice).

$400 for the 600 mile checkup is expensive, and that would make me look for another dealer ASAP. That was the first thing I asked my dealer when I bought it, and even gave me an estimate.
My 2010 gave me a few issues, but between this website and going to a good dealer, I got over 12K miles until I went to a 2013. Now it has close to 3500 and it has been flawless. Again, thanks to Spyderlovers and a good dealer (which I haven't seen since the 600 mile checkup :yes:).

PrairieSpyder
06-03-2013, 10:07 AM
I guess you hate your Spyder so much you had to post it twice! Sorry to hear of your experience.

The profanity is unnecessary, though.

Ga Blue Knight
06-03-2013, 10:14 AM
The fact that they told you that they retourqued your motor mounts makes me suspect that they took you for a ride. I have not heard of that as any part of a checkup not to mention the 600 mile one. Sorry for your issues but having a bad dealer could be the source of them.

Bob Denman
06-03-2013, 10:15 AM
:agree: How many places are you going to put this?

jthornton
06-03-2013, 10:42 AM
:agree: How many places are you going to put this?
Do I dare; throw the troll? 69237

Yep, the same post elsewhere...

JT

Bob Denman
06-03-2013, 10:50 AM
If we had some idea as to what the bike is doing we could help... :shocked:
I did address the complaint of clicking elsewhere...

Chupaca
06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
apparently you have reached the end of your rope, as short as that may be. If you have been here for any length of time you must know you have not had that much go wrong as many others. Your girl will benefit from this unfortunate expierience and when you find the right dealer to work on it you will enjoy it. I find to many folks see the roadster as more of a car than a motorcycle and expect it to ride that way. You ride a gxsr 1000 tell me it doesn't have it's vibrations, creeks rattles and other problems. I worked with them since they came on the market. They had lots of problems but then they are bikes with tons of dealers mechanics and riders that accept them that way. I digress do hope you get yours running to your liking and join the many many spyders running around with no problems or all their problems solved..good luck with all..:thumbup:

shelbydave
06-03-2013, 11:06 AM
I don't think the troll should be thrown here, however, I do see a huge 180 degree turn from the first few posts where it was stated that BRP hit the nail on the head with the Can-Am....

I'm with the others on the 600 mile service... That dealer obviously doesn't want repeat customers, so vote with your feet before they give you another colonoscopy....My 600 mile service was under $250, and that was from what I would consider now to be an undesireable dealer...

As for the rest of the issues... Step back, take a deep breath, count to 10, and let us know what exactly the problems are...

I was talking with another dealer about the 8 hour set up time my dealer took upon delivery, and he told me the setup isn't very long, but the battery HAS to charge for at least 6 hours prior to installation, or you will have all sorts of gremlins.... Considering how quick they show up when playing with the lights and such, I tend to agree with that statement...

If you have already decided to cut your losses, and get something else, then good luck, but considering some of your past posts, I hope you don't make a decision based on the "emotion of the moment" that you may regret later... They really are enjoyable machines...

Bob Denman
06-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Okay Dave; The troll is pulled... :D

Edsts
06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Most likely the fiancée will take it over , like one said on here by then all kinks should be worked out . Yes the first week was all good with the unit but with work being busy and only some limited time to ride who wants to be spend time at the dealer . I just really never had these issues with any of my other bikes especially at the first month of purchase . The unit is still fun to ride . I could just do with out the many issues I am having . It's all good thou !

shelbydave
06-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Most likely the fiancée will take it over , like one said on here by then all kinks should be worked out . Yes the first week was all good with the unit but with work being busy and only some limited time to ride who wants to be spend time at the dealer . I just really never had these issues with any of my other bikes especially at the first month of purchase . The unit is still fun to ride . I could just do with out the many issues I am having . It's all good thou !

Many times if you ask here first, you will get a better answer than at the dealer. After having to use the references here to either answer questions I had for the dealer, or to set them straight, they are no longer my dealer... Just saying.

I figure since they all have to go through the same training, you can weed out the ones who went for the beer pretty easily...

bullant12
06-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Once you get to know how to work around the :spyder2: and at the same time find your answers here in the forums, as well as going to :spyder2: events, your knowledge will surpass a lot of so-called Service Techs that all they do is brush you off and go for the $$$. And the learning never stops either...:chat:

ARtraveler
06-03-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't think the troll should be thrown here, however, I do see a huge 180 degree turn from the first few posts where it was stated that BRP hit the nail on the head with the Can-Am....

I'm with the others on the 600 mile service... That dealer obviously doesn't want repeat customers, so vote with your feet before they give you another colonoscopy....My 600 mile service was under $250, and that was from what I would consider now to be an undesireable dealer...

As for the rest of the issues... Step back, take a deep breath, count to 10, and let us know what exactly the problems are...

I was talking with another dealer about the 8 hour set up time my dealer took upon delivery, and he told me the setup isn't very long, but the battery HAS to charge for at least 6 hours prior to installation, or you will have all sorts of gremlins.... Considering how quick they show up when playing with the lights and such, I tend to agree with that statement...

If you have already decided to cut your losses, and get something else, then good luck, but considering some of your past posts, I hope you don't make a decision based on the "emotion of the moment" that you may regret later... They really are enjoyable machines...

Also sorry to hear of the issues with your new :spyder2:. I can totally understand your frustration. It does show through in the posting.

The advice above: "step back, take a deep breath, count to 10", ... is good stuff. At first glance, it looks like you have a real doozy of a dealer. My initial recommendation would be to take it to another dealer and see if they can fix the issues you are having. The high price for the 600 mile service and the bit about torquing the motor mounts raise large red flags to me. Give it an honest try with a new dealer. If problems still persist, I suggest filing a customer service complaint with BRP.

BajaRon
06-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Okay Dave; The troll is pulled... :D

Though all Trolls have a problem... Not all problems are from Trolls. I too think it was a bit early to throw the card on this one.

Bob Denman
06-03-2013, 05:32 PM
That's why I de-Trolled... ;)
He posted twice in here with the same speech, and yet again on another forum...
And who knows where else? :dontknow:

shelbydave
06-03-2013, 05:38 PM
There's another forum??:shocked::shocked:

ThreeWheels
06-03-2013, 05:39 PM

No, NO, I agree with you.
These machines are horrid pieces of garbage.
You should sell yours as quickly as possible no matter what the cost.
I'd be happy to take it off your hands for, say $5,000.
CASH !
You wouldn't have to worry about the thing anymore...............................

BajaRon
06-03-2013, 05:41 PM

I know, but frustration can take many forms (and many forums). Though it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he altered the title a bit. I think we get the picture without the verbiage.

It may turn out that you can throw the card at a later date if necessary. I'm not saying it's the wrong card, just maybe played too soon.

Let's hope the OP'er is legit and that the issues get fixed. At this point it's the best possible scenario.

Bob Denman
06-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I do agree with what you say, and I too am hopeful for a successful conclusion to this fella's issues.
That's why I pulled it... :opps:

Bob Ledford
06-03-2013, 07:48 PM
No, NO, I agree with you.
These machines are horrid pieces of garbage.
You should sell yours as quickly as possible no matter what the cost.
I'd be happy to take it off your hands for, say $5,000.
CASH !
You wouldn't have to worry about the thing anymore...............................

roflmao I would go and $10. But I would split the ten with you that it has a BIG PAYMENT BOOK attached to the title!!!! :rolleyes:

I am curious how the battery became the focal point but not curious enough to do a search.

SPYD3R
06-03-2013, 08:00 PM
whether he post it on a million websites, whether he uses kus words, whether you like it or not... the man is frustrated, and that's what the post is all about....

we all need to vent at times... after all, he's invested thousands of dollars or HIS OWN money to purchase an item.... the item DOES NOT PERFORM AS STATED.... IF BRP sold him a $20,000 vehicle for $5000 and it only worked 1/4 of the time.... then, AND ONLY THEN, he would have no right to complain.... however, when you spend that kind of cash and it isn't performing at the rate of 100%... everyone of you would feel as he does at this point.... so here he is venting... let him... maybe BRP will read his post and say, "hey, we're producing some bad products... we need to fix that".... let the guy vent... companies truly want to know what their public thinks...

although i've had relatively ZERO problems with mine, and i've posted that many times... we all need to know what's going on out there, so please, let the man have his say...

Ga Blue Knight
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
What's worse is that BRP may be producing a great product and the uncaring dealers are just chucking them out the door for short term profits without any concern for the customer or the future of the product.

ivanlee
06-03-2013, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=SPYD3R;633651]whether he post it on a million websites, whether he uses kus words, whether you like it or not... the man is frustrated, and that's what the post is all about....

we all need to vent at times... after all, he's invested thousands of dollars or HIS OWN money to purchase an item.... the item DOES NOT PERFORM AS STATED.... IF BRP sold him a $20,000 vehicle for $5000 and it only worked 1/4 of the time.... then, AND ONLY THEN, he would have no right to complain.... however, when you spend that kind of cash and it isn't performing at the rate of 100%... everyone of you would feel as he does at this point.... so here he is venting... let him... maybe BRP will read his post and say, "hey, we're producing some bad products... we need to fix that".... let the guy vent... companies truly want to know what their public thinks...

although i've had relatively ZERO problems with mine, and i've posted that many times... we all need to know what's going on out there, so please, let the man have his

Five-O
06-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Which dealership did you get it from?

NHSpyderman
06-04-2013, 06:57 AM
I have had a few issues with my Spydy already but still love it...

Mike_R
06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=SPYD3R;633651]whether he post it on a million websites, whether he uses kus words, whether you like it or not... the man is frustrated, and that's what the post is all about....

although i've had relatively ZERO problems with mine, and i've posted that many times... we all need to know what's going on out there, so please, let the man have his

+1 :thumbup:

gabbman
06-04-2013, 09:24 AM
a few years ago I purchased a new Honda accord. It had a lot of problems and was actually a lemon. It can happen to any mechanical object. I say that to say he can vent and I'm sure he frustrated but as a current shopper he didn't tell me exactly what he is upset about. I'm not sure if it's major mechanical issues, a lot of little things or if it's dealer issues. I just wish he gave more info to help future owners avoid the dealership or look out for the same problems. Also if he was hoping for Brp to step in he needs to do a better job of explaining himself

Bob Ledford
06-04-2013, 09:41 AM
As has been umpteen times before. The manufacturer makes a good product. But no matter how well it's made the dealership has control over the QA (quality assurance) program. What needs to happen is he needs to go directly to the dealer first, then to BRP. BRP should then put it the hands of their "Field Representative" for closing out even if it means terminating the franchise.

According to the owner of the dealership were I trade in numerous conversations that we have had he has "a field representative." I meet him once and he was introduced to me as his Can-Am Rep.

Biosafena
06-04-2013, 10:05 AM
I just noticed something that I hadn't considered before. The term "field representative" was used. Does BRP actually have any of these?? If so, do they they come to dealerships to help resolve issues? And to maybe be sure things are being done at the dealership to ensure high standards? I know the auto manufacturers surely have field reps as do most other major companies that deal with products that can't be easily sent back to the manufacturer to diagnosis and repair or replacement. If BRP doesn't have these reps, then I think we have identified a major flaw in the customer satisfaction chain.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....

wyliec
06-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Biosafena,

There is no field rep that I am aware of. At one time, if you had mechanical issues with your spyder and the dealer was unable to resolve, you'd contact a gentleman named Carlo at BRP. However, I think a young lady has taken his position. I have dealt with her and she seems to do an excellent job just as Carlo did.

To get in touch with the person I mentioned, there used to be an e-mail address here on the homepage with instructions of what to do.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?10017-New-Spyder-Customer-Support-Link

bullant12
06-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Biosafena,

There is no field rep that I am aware of. At one time, if you had mechanical issues with your spyder and the dealer was unable to resolve, you'd contact a gentleman named Carlo at BRP. However, I think a young lady has taken his position. I have dealt with her and she seems to do an excellent job just as Carlo did.

To get in touch with the person I mentioned, there used to be an e-mail address here on the homepage with instructions of what to do.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?10017-New-Spyder-Customer-Support-Link

Be adviced that Carlo is not avaliable... not sure if he left for good, but he was out for a long time. I believe the new contact's name is Crystal...

Jeriatric
06-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Don't know any particulars but there's someone from BRP who calls on my dealer. How many hats he wears (job responsibilities) I have no idea.

Have heard of field reps becoming involved in a few customer complaints, but not many.

Anyone ready and able to fill in the blanks?

Bob Denman
06-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Here's her email and the phone number...
888 272 9222
Customer Service Callcenter
NEW CONTACTS AT BRP:
Crystelle LaChance's email
crystelle.lachance@brp.bom

my3gs
06-04-2013, 10:30 AM
As far as the cooling i live in Oklahoma hot outside in the summer is 115 for days in a row an 1 thang i have done to keep it cool cost $10 an a few min to put in its Water Wetter most parts stors have it. I only run about 4 bars sometimes 5 if i am in town but most of the time its 4 . Its the best $10 i have spent on the :spyder2:69297

Motorcycledave
06-04-2013, 10:45 AM
If you want a happy life.... don't give it to your fiancée you will be sorry.... all it will have to do is brake down
on her and you will never hear the end of it.
If it were me... I would eat the loss and trade it in or sell it, sounds like you got a lemon.
Good Luck
Dave

Like I have said in many other occasions . For the money this machine cost they should have built it way better . All the issues I am having is frustrating and just bout done with it . Between the heat and the battery issues now clutch issues . A clicking noise coming from my left shock then at my first service the tech tells me to stay on top of the oil cus the can am burn lots of oil , then again dealer is also idiots . My sts is not even 1 week shy of being 2 month old . I have been at the dealer 3 times already and the second time I had to leave it for bout a week . Here in the east coast we only have few month of to ride . These issues driving me crazy they just did not equipped these units with a bigger battery . Then they sell all these after market accessories to try to keep the dam thing cool . Again imma spending $20.000.00 I should not have to buy any thing accessories for that . Confidence level is low I am scared of being stranded .

Me too taught it was cool machine in terms of getting one and having fun . I had lots of bikes and all my bikes together I did not have issues like this one . Like any thing else when every thing is working it is fun to ride . Next season I will be giving this to my fiancée or selling it , getting back on my gsxr1000 or picking up a gold wing !

Biosafena
06-04-2013, 10:45 AM
This has to be the only multi-national corporation that I have ever seen that only uses phone and email for support on a $30k purchase and has no way of keeping tabs on their front line representatives (the dealers). This may explain why my bike is still in he shop for a $42.00 part that failed. I am not naming the dealer at this point because I am it convinced that this is all his fault, but almost 3 weeks without my machine is nuts. If this was a primary form of transportation.....would they give me a loaner? As Ron White said, "I don't think so, Scooter!"

jerpinoy
06-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Edsts, sorry to hear your frustrations, Like Clint said, " man gotta know their limitation". Keep us inform even what ever you chose to do. I consider this forum a great way of knowing who we are as human beings.

Good luck and God Bless us all.

ARtraveler
06-04-2013, 02:03 PM
At this point, I believe it is now the OP's turn to throw the ball. IMO he has received some support about getting his problem solved. Let's see if he accepts any of the advice, trys to get the problem solved, and lets us know what is happening.

BajaRon
06-04-2013, 03:36 PM
This has to be the only multi-national corporation that I have ever seen that only uses phone and email for support on a $30k purchase and has no way of keeping tabs on their front line representatives (the dealers). This may explain why my bike is still in he shop for a $42.00 part that failed. I am not naming the dealer at this point because I am it convinced that this is all his fault, but almost 3 weeks without my machine is nuts. If this was a primary form of transportation.....would they give me a loaner? As Ron White said, "I don't think so, Scooter!"

What part are you waiting on?

denviola
06-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Here's her email and the phone number...
888 272 9222
Customer Service Callcenter
NEW CONTACTS AT BRP:
Crystelle LaChance's email
crystelle.lachance@brp.bom

Bob, is brp.com more nearly correct? I'm not needing any factory assistance, just wanted to update if needed.

wyliec
06-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I am not naming the dealer at this point because I am it convinced that this is all his fault, but almost 3 weeks without my machine is nuts. If this was a primary form of transportation.....would they give me a loaner? As Ron White said, "I don't think so, Scooter!"

Why not name the dealer, if it's all the dealers fault.

Jeriatric
06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
"I don't believe he said it's all the dealer's fault." The way I read his post he's faulting the product.

Dave,

What kind of problem are you having? Noticed you asked once for torque specs, but that's it.

Jer

EDIT: Never mind Dave. I read your posts & you just like to compalin. Hope you find something you're happy with? :popcorn:

wyliec
06-04-2013, 05:18 PM
"I don't believe he said it's all the dealer's fault." The way I read his post he's faulting the product.

Read what I have put in bold in post #47. Doesn't that say it's all the dealer's fault? maybe he forgot the word not. I guess the word it should have been not.

Bob Denman
06-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Dave,
Sorry Pal; his was either profanity, or as close as you can get to it without getting caught. Either way; his intention was pretty clear with it.

wyliec
06-04-2013, 05:25 PM
That ain't profanity, it's called venting, and it got your attention, didn't it? Maybe it'll grab BRP's as well but I doubt it.

He removed the profanity, I believe. Also, from what other members have posted, some of their grandchildren read over their shoulder. So, I guess this is not the place for profanity. But, vent all you want.

shelbydave
06-04-2013, 05:27 PM
"The manufacturer makes a good product."

Not my opinion and from the comment/complaints on this site, I, like I'm sure some others feel, is very difficult to believe.

Actually, it's a small cross section of folks that complain, it's just that their volume is quite high. There have been a few polls on reliability, and overall happiness, and it was overwhelmingly positive.

Not everyone can be happy, but like in just about every other case in the world... the complainers do it with a higher volume than the regular customers....

Bob Denman
06-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Well I'm curious...;)
Dave,
I fguess that I missed the story about your ordeal; what went on with your bike? :dontknow:

Bob Ledford
06-04-2013, 05:36 PM
"The manufacturer makes a good product."

Not my opinion and from the comment/complaints on this site, I, like I'm sure some others feel, is very difficult to believe.

does IL have a state LEMON Law?

GeoffCee
06-04-2013, 06:04 PM
... maybe BRP will read his post and say, "hey, we're producing some bad products... we need to fix that".... let the guy vent... companies truly want to know what their public thinks...

Surely this is an example of hope over experience? Sure, we'd all like very much to think BRP reacts to what is posted, there is some really pertinent stuff here relating to the performance of Spyders in the hands of ordinary owners which IMHO should be heeded. Taking turn signals as an example, sadly there is NO evidence that BRP listens to its customers, if it did it would have redesigned that infuriating cancellation button that so many people, myself included, have had trouble using since day one. :banghead:

Littlebadwolf
06-04-2013, 06:27 PM
One thing I've learned over the past 3 years of Spyder ownership is that you need to research every add on/modification that you make to the stock configuration of the roadster and how it's going to affect the performace of your ride. Many overload the electrical circuitry without looking at a requirement to boost your fuse panels and the additional drain on the battery...I'm far from an electrical genius but I learned the hard way when I attempted to have the dealership install all my modifications and they couldn't deal with it...they seldom ask about what mods you've done unless things don't go right...then they blame it on the mods affecting the computers or electrical systems so I basically spent hundreds of dollars trying to let the dealer install the mods just to have them fail and then get charged additional labor fees to uninstall the mod I was trying to install...With lots of research, much of it from this forum and guidance from the forum mentors, I was able to get every mod installed and working correctly. I realize this doesn't address problems that are associated with dealer prep. I definitely appreciate all the help that's available from members that constitute this forum and it makes my riding experience a whole lot better.

Biosafena
06-04-2013, 06:29 PM
To clarify my prior post:
I am waiting for a WPM (windshield parking brake module). They (BRP) sent one and the dealer installed it, but it was defective. Now waiting on a second one. This is a part that according to the dealer never fails. Strange, two of them on my machine alone?? There was a typo in the line about naming the dealer. I am not naming it at the time because I am not convinced that this is all his fault. I will wait for the finished product, which I am hoping will be tomorrow. What burns me is that I have to call for updates. I call once a week to get the latest update. Why can't the dealer call me when they discover that here will be a delay or just to advise how things are going? Is that too much to ask?

Buttsy
06-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Why can't the dealer call me when they discover that here will be a delay or just to advise how things are going? Is that too much to ask?

A very reasonable request in my mind................perhaps after you have picked it up and signed off the paperwork bring it to the attention of the head honcho. Tell them "I was extremely frustrated by not getting updates, if I were running your service department I would..............." Give them the opportunity to address their under performance and see if they want to listen? If they don't run, run Forest.............:roflblack: Best of luck your request seems very reasonable to me?

Jeriatric
06-04-2013, 06:41 PM
To clarify my prior post:
I am waiting for a WPM (windshield parking brake module). They (BRP) sent one and the dealer installed it, but it was defective. Now waiting on a second one. This is a part that according to the dealer never fails. Strange, two of them on my machine alone?? There was a typo in the line about naming the dealer. I am not naming it at the time because I am not convinced that this is all his fault. I will wait for the finished product, which I am hoping will be tomorrow. What burns me is that I have to call for updates. I call once a week to get the latest update. Why can't the dealer call me when they discover that here will be a delay or just to advise how things are going? Is that too much to ask?

The last story like this (and this one sounds painfully similar) was BIG RED 1.

Biosafena
06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Rest assured, if this dealer screws this up, I will put his name in neon. My selling dealer has already lost my confidence and my business. I am all for rendering an opinion based upon performance on a completed job (if that ever happens). It was a long winter and the weather finally turned and now my machine sits waiting for parts and repairs. All this on a machine with a little over 3 thousand miles on it. Lord only knows what the vibration problem is. At the rate things are going, that will take another 3 weeks to fix that.
I know I sound a little bitter. I am just really disappointed that problems take so long to fix. I bought the machine to ride, not pay for and have nothing but a long distance phone bill for calls to he dealer.

ARtraveler
06-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Since the thread has ventured far away from the OP--may I please add something?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?53628-Good-news-on-akspyderman-s-valve-adjustment-issue

Buttsy
06-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Turn Signal............ I thought a Class Action law suit was being filed on this baby? Somebody was to supposed to notify the NTSB, NAFTA, NRA, USAF, PETA and the IRS about this? One thing for sure about BRP, they sure know how to keep their company brand at the for-front of everyone's thoughts? :thumbup: I mean it is a marketing guy's dream come true? Sorry to make light of others pain but some seriously peeved off folks!

Biosafena
06-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I am glad to hear that someone is getting good service. I hear about dealers such as this one in AK and it honestly makes me want to load my machine on a trailer and take it to a place like Pitbull or Cowtown and have them go over the entire machine to get right what the selling dealer didn't. I am jealous of the fortunate ones that have a good dealer close by. I am glad this worked out for you.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

MidLifeCrisis
06-04-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm totally unhappy with mine and it's up for sale. The sucker, I mean buyer who comes up with the money will be the new owner.

If I were a buyer, I would be very skeptical of any Spyder in IL being sold by anyone named Dave! Seriously, with all due respect to those with problems, there are many with great machines who are either upgrading or forced to sell due to health or financial issues. We all should respect them as well when posting any complaint. Keeping to the facts and staying professional is beneficial to us all at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Biosafena
06-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Well, always keeping an eye out for a golden opportunity....wonder how much he wants for is machine? Make me an offer I can't refuse. I haven't given up on the Spyder yet. Just trying to slug my way through the maze of poor service and people who just don't care.

Flight Risk
06-04-2013, 07:30 PM
This is just a statement guys......

i have had some problems with my 2011 RTS SE5, they eventually are fixed. Right now, I am taking it back for a couple of problems.

It is hard to know who to "blame" when we have a problem. Is it BRP or the dealer? I do know one thing for sure....when I call my dealer there is one thing I can always count on, always. If they say they will call me back, I can be 100% sure that they will NOT. Not one time in 1 1/2 years have they ever called me back like they said they would, including denying they ever got a message even if I left it In the voicemail general mailbox, or directly to an extension....apparently the phone service could also be dealer or BRP because no one will take ownership of ignoring a customer. (Trying to smile while writing this)

Ga Blue Knight
06-04-2013, 08:51 PM
I worked into my dealer and called service right in front of me to make appointment. Made the appointment, saw the service guy write it down. A week later they denied that I had made a reservation! Unbelievable

Netminder
06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm totally unhappy with mine and it's up for sale. The sucker, I mean buyer who comes up with the money will be the new owner.
Not a real good selling pitch!:yikes: JMHO.

Jeriatric
06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Not a real good selling pitch!:yikes: JMHO.

But it's a

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNNEpwwQeO5XvY2ujwvFpt7cmHDO56x D4qqDvV-kaOuhtukhvM

murphybrown
06-04-2013, 09:19 PM
For me I just keep working on finding the solution to a particular challenge/problem...do I get :banghead:...absolutely...so my encouragement to you is to sound off here..but you take responsibility for finding what it takes to solve this most frustrating situation.:thumbup: Cheering for your win in this..:clap:

Edsts
06-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys for some support . Like many said on here it was just venting . Most if not all of my question are answered on thus forum . As far as the foul language all I have to say is I can show 8 different post of some worse language at the end of the day I do listen to the more experience spider owners . Dealing with a new dealer now and also getting my more experience friends involved .

The Spyder will be going to the fiancée next season by then I will make sure all the inks are worked out .

Will keep moving forward ;)
Thanks guys !

Edsts
06-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Which dealership did you get it from?

The famous MOTORCYCLE MALL !

There model is they sell more bikes than any other dealer on the east cost .
But the problem is there service dept can't keep up .

gabbman
06-05-2013, 01:15 AM
Well take some comfort in the fact that as a result of your post they will not get a dime of my money

GeoffCee
06-05-2013, 03:25 AM
Seriously, with all due respect to those with problems, there are many with great machines who are either upgrading or forced to sell due to health or financial issues. We all should respect them as well when posting any complaint. Keeping to the facts and staying professional is beneficial to us all at some point.

Under other circumstances I would agree with you completely but frustration quickly turns to anger when you pay a lot of money for a machine that spends most of its time in some repair shop or other waiting for parts, and when they do eventually turn up don't fix the problem. It's natural to have sympathy with anyone in a situation like this. "Staying professional" is not not easy when you have steam coming out of your ears! :sour:

Ga Blue Knight
06-05-2013, 05:10 AM
This entire issue of dealer competence must become a primary concern for BRP and the Can Am Marketing department or the Spyder line will start to suffer in the new sales arena. I have seen this befor with other motorcycle brands that were great reliable bike but with horrible support. They are no longer with us sad to say.

dave01
06-05-2013, 05:23 AM
This entire issue of dealer competence must become a primary concern for BRP and the Can Am Marketing department or the Spyder line will start to suffer in the new sales arena. I have seen this befor with other motorcycle brands that were great reliable bike but with horrible support. They are no longer with us sad to say.

My case was just the opposite. Great dealer support, but a true lack of support from BRP in getting my issues fixed. I guess all cases are different. I know my dealer and mechanics worked very hard to get my Spyder repaired but they ran into the paperwork monster called big business.

OldDog
06-05-2013, 07:36 AM

:agree:

daveinva
06-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Okay... maybe I'm going to be called crazy for this, but let me play the role of corporate apologist for a moment.

1. BRP marketed the Spyder heavily to novice riders. How many of those novice riders represent the % of loudest complaints?

Meaning, if you had no experience with bikes, and you came to the Spyder thinking, "Hey, it's just like an open-air automobile, it's so easy to ride... I bet that means it doesn't run hot, it's cheap to fix, and I can get service the same day!", you obviously got a rude surprise. The Spyder is NOT a car, it's a motorcycle, and a very unique, high-tech one at that.

It may come as a shock to some, but motorcycles require more maintenance than cars. And the more unique a bike is, the more unique its quirks are.

2. The Spyder is just a baby in the grand scheme of things. How many *decades* has Harley, Honda, BMW and others had to build their bikes? How many *decades* have they had to build dealer networks, supplier networks, experienced independent mechanics, and all the rest? How much has our collective experience with all the others colored our perspective with how BRP is doing it today (or *should* do it)?

To be honest, I'm genuinely shocked BRP has done *this well*, this quickly, with the Spyder. They launched a completely new product line, using technology no one has ever deployed before, and they've managed to support it to, in general, a high level of owner satisfaction. They're not perfect, of course, and we are *obligated* to note where they're not. But they've come a long, long way in the blink of an eye.

3. That all said, I agree that BRP will live and die by its dealer network. Which means that we should all find ways to improve that dealer network. Complaining in a private forum not read by BRP-- and most certainly not read by 99.9% of Spyder dealers out there, as we can all attest to-- isn't doing anything to improve that network.

What *does* improve that network is talking to your dealers, and giving them feedback. Talking to BRP-- *writing* BRP, not just emailing them, to tell them what they're doing wrong (and what they're doing right-- everyone loves deserved praise, after all). Taking positive steps, not just venting. Although, I agree, there's a time and place and need for venting, in the end, posting here at Spyderlovers is the equivalent of talking to yourself. Don't talk to yourself, talk to your dealers, talk to BRP, and make the experience better for yourselves, and the *next* Spyder owner to buy themselves their ride.

:2thumbs:

Mexican
06-05-2013, 08:07 AM
There is no better time to have a problem with your spyder than when it is under WARRANTY,,, may cost you agravation but not money, let the dealer sort it out and enjoy it after it is fixed!!

Jeriatric
06-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Okay... maybe I'm going to be called crazy for this, but let me play the role of corporate apologist for a moment.

1. BRP marketed the Spyder heavily to novice riders. How many of those novice riders represent the % of loudest complaints?

Meaning, if you had no experience with bikes, and you came to the Spyder thinking, "Hey, it's just like an open-air automobile, it's so easy to ride... I bet that means it doesn't run hot, it's cheap to fix, and I can get service the same day!", you obviously got a rude surprise. The Spyder is NOT a car, it's a motorcycle, and a very unique, high-tech one at that.

It may come as a shock to some, but motorcycles require more maintenance than cars. And the more unique a bike is, the more unique its quirks are.

2. The Spyder is just a baby in the grand scheme of things. How many *decades* has Harley, Honda, BMW and others had to build their bikes? How many *decades* have they had to build dealer networks, supplier networks, experienced independent mechanics, and all the rest? How much has our collective experience with all the others colored our perspective with how BRP is doing it today (or *should* do it)?

To be honest, I'm genuinely shocked BRP has done *this well*, this quickly, with the Spyder. They launched a completely new product line, using technology no one has ever deployed before, and they've managed to support it to, in general, a high level of owner satisfaction. They're not perfect, of course, and we are *obligated* to note where they're not. But they've come a long, long way in the blink of an eye.

3. That all said, I agree that BRP will live and die by its dealer network. Which means that we should all find ways to improve that dealer network. Complaining in a private forum not read by BRP-- and most certainly not read by 99.9% of Spyder dealers out there, as we can all attest to-- isn't doing anything to improve that network.

What *does* improve that network is talking to your dealers, and giving them feedback. Talking to BRP-- *writing* BRP, not just emailing them, to tell them what they're doing wrong (and what they're doing right-- everyone loves deserved praise, after all). Taking positive steps, not just venting. Although, I agree, there's a time and place and need for venting, in the end, posting here at Spyderlovers is the equivalent of talking to yourself. Don't talk to yourself, talk to your dealers, talk to BRP, and make the experience better for yourselves, and the *next* Spyder owner to buy themselves their ride.

:2thumbs:

If you're found crazy for thinking this way. You're welcome to the room across from me. I'm told it has better padding :roflblack:

Jeriatric
06-05-2013, 09:12 AM
" The problem now is that after buying my RT I developed cancer am in the fight for my life. I don't have the time, money, or energy anymore to keep putting up with the problems this machine has been causing me. I'm not looking for any sympathy, pats on the back, or anything else. What I am looking for are trouble-free days where I can get on the road and enjoy what time I have left on a machine that is supposed to be fun to ride and own. My RT Spyder has been anything but enjoyable and trouble-free. "

BRP - ANYONE WHO HAS INROADS WITH BRP.

Are you listening?......are you asking someone to listen?

Hope so!

ARtraveler
06-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys for some support . Like many said on here it was just venting . Most if not all of my question are answered on thus forum . As far as the foul language all I have to say is I can show 8 different post of some worse language at the end of the day I do listen to the more experience spider owners . Dealing with a new dealer now and also getting my more experience friends involved .

The Spyder will be going to the fiancée next season by then I will make sure all the inks are worked out .

Thanks guys !

Welcome back OP. As you can see, there are some very passionate people on the SL site.

I for one am glad to see that you have taken the :spyder2: to another dealer. Also hoping they get your issues solved and that you can move on to a great :ani29: experience.

This next step will help determine if you had a bad dealer mechanic, or a bad :spyder2:.
I am guessing it will be the former. Please keep us posted on the outcome. :thumbup:

wyliec
06-05-2013, 01:42 PM

Thanks guys !

I wasn't go to respond to this; but, I couldn't let it go. Did I misread your original post before it was edited. I thought you used the 'f' word (although misspelled to get under the radar) and the same for the 's' word comparable to crap? If I did get you mixed up with someone else, I apologize. I haven't seen those eight posts you mentioned; could you p.m. those links? I'm curious. I'm not asking to have you post them here. I'm the only one that's curious.

In any case, I do hope you get your spyder fixed to your satisfaction.

ivanlee
06-05-2013, 02:27 PM
I also regret buying a can spyder, after the first vist to a dealer and no support from BRP, i decide to do all my own maintance. i have purchased most of the tools, the service books and spare parts including a extra motor, i have gotten most of my information off of spyder lovers of problems with the can am and made corrections to mine, I will be selling mine this year. 2008 PE#301

The members of spyderlovers has done so much R/D for BRP that they should provide spyder riders the
best service & parts net work out there. :ohyea:

Bob Denman
06-05-2013, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=DaveNur;634567] The problem now is that after buying my RT I developed cancer am in the fight for my life. I don't have the time, money, or energy anymore to keep putting up with the problems this machine has been causing me. QUOTE]
Dave,
:shocked: I'm sorry to hear that; our thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours! :pray:

daveinva
06-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Not once did I have a problem with one of those bikes - - even the brand new models - - from the day I bought one.

Oh, you're the one? My friend with the lemon 1979 CB500 told me about you. Or was it the guy down my block with the broken-down Goldwing? I forget which.

:joke:

We can all talk our own personal experiences until we're long in the tooth. Unfortunately, the plural of anecdote is not data.

But you know who does collect data? Companies that manufacture motorcycles. Which is why my recommendation to all was to direct complaints to BRP, and not just an anonymous online forum. Either BRP will use that data to improve the Spyder to your satisfaction, or they won't, and in that event you'll hopefully be happier with a different product.

I wish you the best of luck (and much better health in the future-- cancer sucks)

SilverSurfer
06-05-2013, 02:48 PM
This is the kind of thread that I'd like to see Lamont come in on and deeeeeee-lete! It's not constructive, doesn't support the community and offers mostly heat ... very little light. There are honest questions and concerns across many threads, but blowing off and defaming what 10s of thousands of people own ... wrong. "Clicks" in shocks? Doubtful. Clicks in brake rotors/calipers? Maybe.

If ya don't like the machine, that's cool. Buy something else. 2010 Spyder RT-S, mods to my definition of perfection. Mine was a PE too ... # 391. Now she has almost 20K miles. The '10s were the first of the RT series, had feeble front shocks and needed some tweaks. We all worked through it and mostly asked questions and learned answers instead of throwing Can-Am under the bus.

If you don't like your dealer, find another one (I did). Best service I've ever had. I found a dealer with a big Can-Am presence, not a sideline. The Spyder ST series is a beautiful machine. The Rotax engine is used in aircraft, for goodness sake. Anything that is has the reputation and reliability to carry people aloft wins in my book. Bosch electronics ... same can bus as on BMWs.

smporter420
06-05-2013, 03:22 PM
My 12' RSS runs like champ, haven't had any issues. And I have allot of mods

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

spydercatjohn
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I understand your frustration and am glad you posted. The only reason there is a lemon law for cars is that people spoke out. There should be a lemon law for all expensive products. Too bad some want to shoot the messenger. We have had no problems so far with our 2013 RT SE5 and hope you get your problems resolved.

dave01
06-05-2013, 04:24 PM
This is the kind of thread that I'd like to see Lamont come in on and deeeeeee-lete! It's not constructive, doesn't support the community and offers mostly heat ... very little light. There are honest questions and concerns across many threads, but blowing off and defaming what 10s of thousands of people own ... wrong. "Clicks" in shocks? Doubtful. Clicks in brake rotors/calipers? Maybe.

If ya don't like the machine, that's cool. Buy something else. 2010 Spyder RT-S, mods to my definition of perfection. Mine was a PE too ... # 391. Now she has almost 20K miles. The '10s were the first of the RT series, had feeble front shocks and needed some tweaks. We all worked through it and mostly asked questions and learned answers instead of throwing Can-Am under the bus.

If you don't like your dealer, find another one (I did). Best service I've ever had. I found a dealer with a big Can-Am presence, not a sideline. The Spyder ST series is a beautiful machine. The Rotax engine is used in aircraft, for goodness sake. Anything that is has the reputation and reliability to carry people aloft wins in my book. Bosch electronics ... same can bus as on BMWs.

I for one am happy Lamont let this thread go on. Let owners speak thier experiences, good AND bad. If you dont want to read it, please skip over it and read something else.

ivanlee
06-05-2013, 05:26 PM
I for one am happy Lamont let this thread go on. Let owners speak thier experiences, good AND bad. If you dont want to read it, please skip over it and read something else.

Bob Denman
06-05-2013, 05:47 PM
:agree: Even though the content and presentation is upsetting; it shows that there's room for everybody and their opinions in here. :thumbup:

dave01
06-05-2013, 06:01 PM
:agree: Even though the content and presentation is upsetting; it shows that there's room for everybody and their opinions in here. :thumbup:

+1

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

flaggerphil
06-05-2013, 07:29 PM
I like ice cream...

dave01
06-05-2013, 07:36 PM
I like ice cream...

Bluebell vanilla and strawberries. Yummmm

MikeT
06-05-2013, 07:50 PM
This entire issue of dealer competence must become a primary concern for BRP and the Can Am Marketing department or the Spyder line will start to suffer in the new sales arena.
After spending a many weeks here reading both positive and negative posts and PMs(doing my homework), I come to the following conclusion: It absolutely makes no sense for me to go from my very low mileage '09 GW Trike to a '13 Limited. My reasoing:
a. there is at least a 50/50 chance of getting a 2013 RT-Limited with issues, of one kind or another. Seems like many RT owners prefer the 2012.
b. I have NO local dealer. The dealer in my state with the BEST reputation for both sales and service is 2 hours away by freeway. Expansion of a competent dealer network should be a BRP priority, as GaBK alluded too.
c. Seems like owners spend a signifigant amount of coin adding farkles that should be included as standard equipment, especially on a Limited branded model.
d. An average of 27-30 MPG for a touring machine is just too low. I know there are some that report 33-35 MPG; but they are a minority. Not to mention the preference for mid grade or premium fuel.
e. PMs telling me "Don't Do It", or "You Pay the Money, You Take the Chances" are not confidence inspiring that either BRP or the majority of dealers don't know what's it takes to build or service a reliable $30K trike.
I had really hoped that my desire to evolve to a RT-S SE5 or Limited would have come to a different conclusion. I am developing treatment neccessary OA in my thumbs(L>R) after 40 years of work. It sure would have been nice not to have to clutch and brake with my hands. This riding season will be a water shed year for me.. I will continue to monitor this great forum to see "if the wind changes".
Mike

MidLifeCrisis
06-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Hi Mike,

There's no way the RTs are a 50/50 gamble. The ratio of good machines to problem ones is much higher than that. There are thousands of registered SL members and only few real lemons. There are some real misses with regards to some issues. The RT turn signal switch is definitely high on the list of misses.

Not sure what farkles you are referring to, but I'm guessing the SpyderPops block off plates are on your list. They are required for anyone riding in the heat, but a cheap fix. There are far more farkles available for the GW and there's tons of complaints about them and heat as well.

Can't comment on the dealer in your area, but if they are trusted and reliable, you'll likely drive off with a fine machine.

Not sure if people are more or less satisfied with 2012s, then the 13s. There are far more customizations available for pre 13 models and people tend to like their customizations. There were some nice changes made for the 13s, but seem to have added limitations as well.

Your gas mileage observations are definitely correct. There's just too much tire touching the ground and too much wind resistance for the machine to get into the 40mpg range. The design IS what makes them a Spyder. Bigger engines or another gear could improve their mileage, but that'll likely come at the cost of something else.

If you requested PMs from folks with issues, then there's no surprise you received a flurry of horror stories. It's just human nature to tell everyone about bad experiences. In the end, you have to love what you ride and the Spyder is definitely not for everyone. The Honda is a great machine. I may be able to talk my wife into one of those sone day too. :)

Thumbs up to your due diligence and research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
06-05-2013, 08:55 PM
coffee ice cream, or coffee & peanut butter!! :2thumbs:

MikeT
06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
coffee ice cream

MikeT
06-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Not sure what farkles you are referring to, but I'm guessing the SpyderPops block off plates are on your list.
Block off plates, bump skid, HMT, CB, Heated Seat, to name a few

If you requested PMs from folks with issues. I didn't request. I started a thread "Thinking about trading my GW for a Limited" and these were in the replies.

Thumbs up to your due diligence and research.
Unlike 90% of Americans, I'm not an impulsive buyer when it come to the big bucks. This is also how I found out that the 2 closer dealers(35 and 60 miles) are like many complained about here for gauging and incompetency. The good one is just over 2 hours away. That works out to a a big inconvenience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]
Appreciate you support in my search. I will continue on with it as my wife thinks an SE5 is better for my hands. I told her theoretically, yes; but the reality/execution may be a different story.

bhfromme
06-05-2013, 10:44 PM
32,000 happy miles on my 2011 RT. Find a good dealer and keep smiling Ed. Good luck!

ARtraveler
06-06-2013, 01:47 PM
After spending a many weeks here reading both positive and negative posts and PMs(doing my homework), I come to the following conclusion: It absolutely makes no sense for me to go from my very low mileage '09 GW Trike to a '13 Limited. My reasoing:
a. there is at least a 50/50 chance of getting a 2013 RT-Limited with issues, of one kind or another. Seems like many RT owners prefer the 2012.
b. I have NO local dealer. The dealer in my state with the BEST reputation for both sales and service is 2 hours away by freeway. Expansion of a competent dealer network should be a BRP priority, as GaBK alluded too.
c. Seems like owners spend a signifigant amount of coin adding farkles that should be included as standard equipment, especially on a Limited branded model.
d. An average of 27-30 MPG for a touring machine is just too low. I know there are some that report 33-35 MPG; but they are a minority. Not to mention the preference for mid grade or premium fuel.
e. PMs telling me "Don't Do It", or "You Pay the Money, You Take the Chances" are not confidence inspiring that either BRP or the majority of dealers don't know what's it takes to build or service a reliable $30K trike.
I had really hoped that my desire to evolve to a RT-S SE5 or Limited would have come to a different conclusion. I am developing treatment neccessary OA in my thumbs(L>R) after 40 years of work. It sure would have been nice not to have to clutch and brake with my hands. This riding season will be a water shed year for me.. I will continue to monitor this great forum to see "if the wind changes".
Mike

You make some very valid points for someone viewing the site and trying to make a determination of to buy or not to buy.

I am one who has owned four Spyders since their inception. I got a later model 2008 and a premier edition of the 2010 RT-S of which many say has issues. I now have 32,000 miles on the 2010 RT-S and have not had any major problems with it. My total Spyder miles have now accumulated to 84,000 plus miles.

That said, I am fortunate to have a competent dealer when it comes to mechanics. They have been willing and able to fix any issues I have had. The other bonus, they are close to my home.

Problems with finding a competent dealer to work on the Spyder seems to be the paramount issue to me.

BajaRon
06-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Mike

Good decision.. Stick with the GW! Just gives us one more vehicle to pass in the twisties! :ohyea:

GuitarPlayer
06-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I've been riding my 2013 RT-Ltd since mid April and now have over 1500 miles on it. Other than a belt vibration issue that was fixed at the 600 mile service, I've had no problems at all with my Spyder. On Monday, I'm leaving for the Owner's Event in Maggie Valley. I riding my Spyder and I anticipate having no problems either going to Maggie Valley or on the way home.

This forum has given me a lot of excellent information on how to maintain and ride my RT. It's been said many times on Spyder Lovers and I agree, a good dealer that has a good mechanic is key to having a trouble-free Spyder. If you don't like the dealer you have now, go find another that will treat you right. After all it's your money.

There is a dealer who is 10 miles from home but I've chosen to use the dealer who's 50 miles from home. Sure it's a little inconvenient to have to drive an hour for service, but so is breaking down on the road. I chose the dealer who's farther away because they wanted my business and were willing to treat me right. Another forum member here has also had the same experience.

Tony

Ex-Rocket
06-06-2013, 05:12 PM
coffee ice cream

That's my favorite flavor but hard to find in my area.

Bob Denman
06-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Good decision.. Stick with the GW! Just gives us one more vehicle to pass in the twisties! :ohyea:

:shocked: Now that was just so impishly mean... ;)

MikeT
06-06-2013, 05:21 PM
:shocked: Now that was just so impishly mean... ;)

Seems to me like there are a lot of those types on both sides of this issue.

Bob Denman
06-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Well that's just what makes it an issue; two sides! :thumbup: ;)

dave01
06-06-2013, 05:24 PM

Ron, that was mean, but I will still wave at you when you are filling up and I go by. Us GW guys need to stick together. Lol

MikeT
06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
You make some very valid points for someone viewing the site and trying to make a determination of to buy or not to buy.
Problems with finding a competent dealer to work on the Spyder seems to be the paramount issue to me.
Thank you for your kind words. The equation for a good ride seems to be the intergration of three factors as I see it:
a. a properly built unit from BRP, and
b. the properly assembled and tested unit from a competent dealer.
c. Reasonable labor charges
And you shouldn't have to frive 100+ miles to achieve that goal.
Mike

Bob Denman
06-06-2013, 05:35 PM
So Dave,
May we refer to you as, "The Local Wing-Nut"? :roflblack:

dave01
06-06-2013, 05:47 PM
So Dave,
May we refer to you as, "The Local Wing-Nut"? :roflblack:

Why YES.......I like that.

Bob Denman
06-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Then it's yours; my friend! :D

GeoffCee
06-06-2013, 07:14 PM
This is the kind of thread that I'd like to see Lamont come in on and deeeeeee-lete! It's not constructive, doesn't support the community and offers mostly heat ... very little light. There are honest questions and concerns across many threads, but blowing off and defaming what 10s of thousands of people own ... wrong.

You complain at length that what is being said here is not to your liking because it offers mostly heat ... very little light. Fortunately this freely expressed collection of opinions, anecdotes, first and second-hand experiences exists in a forum which enables you, if you so wish, to move on to other points of view expressed in other threads. I trust you will find one more to your liking. ;)

Farmbanker
06-06-2013, 09:47 PM
I've been riding my 2013 RT-Ltd since mid April and now have over 1500 miles on it. Other than a belt vibration issue that was fixed at the 600 mile service, I've had no problems at all with my Spyder. On Monday, I'm leaving for the Owner's Event in Maggie Valley. I riding my Spyder and I anticipate having no problems either going to Maggie Valley or on the way home.

This forum has given me a lot of excellent information on how to maintain and ride my RT. It's been said many times on Spyder Lovers and I agree, a good dealer that has a good mechanic is key to having a trouble-free Spyder. If you don't like the dealer you have now, go find another that will treat you right. After all it's your money.

There is a dealer who is 10 miles from home but I've chosen to use the dealer who's 50 miles from home. Sure it's a little inconvenient to have to drive an hour for service, but so is breaking down on the road. I chose the dealer who's farther away because they wanted my business and were willing to treat me right. Another forum member here has also had the same experience.

Tony

I'm jealous Tony! Wish I could go too but work, work, work. Enjoy the ryde!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jeriatric
06-06-2013, 10:22 PM
DREAM ON

You're kidding? Right.

Any self respecting duce in the back rider will tell you it's a fact.

bhfromme
06-06-2013, 10:26 PM
DREAM ON

Dream on? A GW trike is no match for a Spyder twistie or straightaway.

Mike_R
06-13-2013, 09:47 PM

If you don't go into limp mode...just saying..................!!:>)

odyssey009
07-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Since I am actively looking for a Spyder RT and live in PA, a NJ neighbor, perhaps you can tell us either the name of the problematic dealer or at the very least, the town location.
Thank you,
Michael

Littlebadwolf
07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Ron, that was mean, but I will still wave at you when you are filling up and I go by. Us GW guys need to stick together. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2And you Gold Wingers will keep on trying to pick the scoot up if it goes down and still have to push it to get into reverse most of the time or whatever..Why do you feel the need to put down others that want to ride what they want to?

Bob Denman
07-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Give this Dave a little leeway; he's been on both, and has made his decision... :thumbup:
He might be a "Wing Nut; but dammmit; he's OUR Wing Nut! :D
And he still comes in here because we've got the coolest kids on the playground in this sandbox! :2thumbs:

Bob Ledford
07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Every bike made breaks sometime. So if you don't like it just sell it! :banghead:

shelbydave
07-17-2013, 07:50 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead: This thread was dead back in June (6/18), but accidentally got "resurrected" when someone new asked the op a legitimate question about his dealer. See post #119

Lets see if we can get get him his answer, then let this thread fade away back into the darkness...:thumbup:

Spyder601
07-17-2013, 07:53 PM
:banghead::banghead::banghead: This thread was dead back in June (6/18), but accidentally got "resurrected" when someone new asked the op a legitimate question about his dealer. See post #119

Lets see if we can get get him his answer, then let this thread fade away back into the darkness...:thumbup:

100% agree!!

spyder3
07-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Since I am actively looking for a Spyder RT and live in PA, a NJ neighbor, perhaps you can tell us either the name of the problematic dealer or at the very least, the town location.
Thank you,
Michael

Odessy...i'm not sure what dealer or which unhappy guy you are refering to.... One of the dealers is up in North jersey....

I'm in south jersey and take my bike to J & J powersports in DE. Small shop, but good guys and good service. Ask for Jim.

I bought mine in MO...thats a whole judder story..:roflblack:

juliantrost
07-17-2013, 09:53 PM
I paid $562.00 for 600 mile service. Edsts's $400 is the next highest I believe. Anyone higher out there?:popcorn:

Bob Denman
07-18-2013, 06:31 AM
:shocked: Julian, I'm glad that's a record that I didn't beat...
My sympathies go out to you for THAT event! :shocked:

DR Buck
07-18-2013, 06:48 AM
I paid $562.00 for 600 mile service. Edsts's $400 is the next highest I believe. Anyone higher out there?:popcorn:

I'll have to go look for my receipt. I think it was around $460. I know the 600 mile service cost is when I decided to do my own service. Right after getting home from having it done I ordered a service manual.

odyssey009
07-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Odessy...i'm not sure what dealer or which unhappy guy you are refering to.... One of the dealers is up in North jersey....

I'm in south jersey and take my bike to J & J powersports in DE. Small shop, but good guys and good service. Ask for Jim.

I bought mine in MO...thats a whole judder story..:roflblack:

Thank you so much for the info J&J Powersports. I spoke with Jim and I will be visiting him next week.
Thanks again,
Michael

spyder3
07-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Thank you so much for the info J&J Powersports. I spoke with Jim and I will be visiting him next week.
Thanks again,
Michael

Cool, good luck and let us know what you get... Tell jim , john from Delran sent ya....brownie points:roflblack:

DrewNJ
07-18-2013, 03:11 PM
J&J are good peeps for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dshogman
07-18-2013, 03:17 PM
My 600 mile service a few weeks ago was $283.

finless
07-18-2013, 03:20 PM

Same here!

Bob

54spyder
07-18-2013, 03:33 PM

I wish I could find a local Houston dealer who was that inexpensive. So far my quotes have been 400 dollars and up.

flaggerphil
07-18-2013, 09:05 PM
My 600 mile service was a bit under $300.

Mexican
07-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I never paid for the 600 mile service, bought the spyder with 15k miles:clap:

joet82
07-19-2013, 12:47 AM
also, remember....The first year model of anything is going to have bugs in it. the 2010 RTs had bugs, the 08 RSs had bugs, and the same thing with cages and 2wheelers. just take a deep breath, take it in stride and enjoy the ride.

Daisyjoe
07-19-2013, 01:00 AM
600 mile service $232.67 in South Georgia.

HuckFin
07-19-2013, 01:56 AM
My 600 mile service cost less than $100....Easy D.I.Y.

Chief-J
07-19-2013, 04:51 AM
How about looking into the Honda GoldWing Reverse Trike? Looks a little like the Spyder, Im sure you will not have the issues you are having now.

http://reversedtrike.nl/en/

Good luck.

MouthPiece
07-19-2013, 05:47 AM
Prepaid maintenance plan cost $1,500.00
Almost 13,000 miles with no service costs.

Chris

54spyder
07-19-2013, 06:12 AM
My 600 mile service cost less than $100....Easy D.I.Y.

The problem with doing the 600 mile service yourself is that you do not get the opportunity for the computer diagnostics or any updates that BRM may have had since your :ani29: was purchased.

missouriboy
07-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Keep it simple: "D.I.Y" and "600 mile service" are two totally different things... :dontknow:

Chief-J
07-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Try looking into the Honda Reverse Trike. Looks like a Spyder

http://reversedtrike.nl/en/

Good luck

redflasher
07-19-2013, 07:52 AM
$440 last year for 600 mile service. The receipt I received told nothing about what was done. Just the amount to pay. I questioned this and was told "That's all you get".

StanProff
07-19-2013, 10:08 AM
$440 last year for 600 mile service. The receipt I received told nothing about what was done. Just the amount to pay. I questioned this and was told "That's all you get".

they would never touch my bike again! You are entitled to a complete service report of services done, I would have asked for that before making payment. My first service, If I remember correct was less than 200.00, oil change, belt and other items checked. that's it. My dealer will stick the computer to it for Buds downloads (if any) for free. that just takes five minutes of spare time. Let's face it, some dealers are like motels jacking up the rates anytime they like. Just taking advantage of people.

finless
07-19-2013, 10:20 AM
they would never touch my bike again! You are entitled to a complete service report of services done, I would have asked for that before making payment. My first service, If I remember correct was less than 200.00, oil change, belt and other items checked. that's it. My dealer will stick the computer to it for Buds downloads (if any) for free. that just takes five minutes of spare time. Let's face it, some dealers are like motels jacking up the rates anytime they like. Just taking advantage of people.

I have 4 dealers around me and more if I want to travel an hour or more.
2 close to me quoted $450+ for the 600 mile service. One (Redondo Beach Motorsports) when I question why it was $450, they said well it will range from $350 to $450. I asked what makes that difference and all the guy said was depends on parts. I asked what parts and started to get a song and dance. Let me just state this was the guy at the service desk NOT the BRP mech. I do not think he knew anything about a Spyder 600 mile service and was guessing based on what their computer system said. That for me was enough to walk away from using them.

I did my research here on Sypderlovers and found good reports about Bert's and another shop in Covina, Ca.. I called Bert's up and got a $300 price but they also had a 20% off coupon. I also got a full report of what they did, hours spent, what was warranty and not, etc. I think I found my primary service shop for me.

So in my opinion based on lessons learned here and my own recent experience, the dealer does make a BIG difference on price as well as doing the job properly!

Bob

lookerjdc
07-19-2013, 10:25 AM

I have 4 dealers around me and more if I want to travel an hour or more.
2 close to me quoted $450+ for the 600 mile service. One (Redondo Beach Motorsports) when I question why it was $450, they said well it will range from $350 to $450. I asked what makes that difference and all the guy said was depends on parts. I asked what parts and started to get a song and dance. Let me just state this was the guy at the service desk NOT the BRP mech. I do not think he knew anything about a Spyder 600 mile service and was guessing based on what their computer system said. That for me was enough to walk away from using them.

I did my research here on Sypderlovers and found good reports about Bert's and another shop in Covina, Ca.. I called Bert's up and got a $300 price but they also had a 20% off coupon. I also got a full report of what they did, hours spent, what was warranty and not, etc. I think I found my primary service shop for me.

So in my opinion based on lessons learned here and my own recent experience, the dealer does make a BIG difference on price as well as doing the job properly!

Bob

couldnt agree more

if you have multiple dealers in your area, check around

some dealers are more focused on the jet skis or atv's more than they are on the Spyder and that can impact your service costs.....

HuckFin
07-19-2013, 11:37 PM
The problem with doing the 600 mile service yourself is that you do not get the opportunity for the computer diagnostics or any updates that BRM may have had since your :ani29: was purchased.

I have the opportunity to take my spyder in to my dealer for computer diagnostics or up dates anytime I want. Also they were fine with me doing my own 600 mile service.

ThreeWheels
07-20-2013, 03:44 AM
WOW.................... this thread has drifted.
It was a while ago, but as I recall, my 600 mile service was in the $350 range.
I asked why, and my receipt showed all the things that had been checked.
Belt Alignment, Belt Tension, Brakes were checked to be sure they weren't binding, Drive Pulleys were snugged up, of course Oil Change and few more things.
Don't forget, BRP was new to the machine and wanted EVERYTHING checked and that added about an hour of labor.
With time, I'm sure the service requirements have been changed. The most obvious of these is the oil change interval is now 4500 miles instead of 3000.

Bob Denman
07-20-2013, 07:11 AM
WOW.................... this thread has drifted.
It was a while ago, but as I recall, my 600 mile service was in the $350 range.
I asked why, and my receipt showed all the things that had been checked.
Belt Alignment, Belt Tension, Brakes were checked to be sure they weren't binding, Drive Pulleys were snugged up, of course Oil Change and few more things.
Don't forget, BRP was new to the machine and wanted EVERYTHING checked and that added about an hour of labor.
With time, I'm sure the service requirements have been changed. The most obvious of these is the oil change interval is now 4500 miles instead of 3000.
:agree: I thought that these bikes were all crap, and we were sorry for buying them... :shocked: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Babyblue
07-20-2013, 02:42 PM
I paid around $280.00. My dealer gave me the check list AND signed off on the 600 mile checkup in my manual.

SilverSurfer
07-20-2013, 03:15 PM
First, the Can-Am Spyder RT, RS and ST are not "crap." The 2010s and '11s had some recall bulletins which were easy to attend to and apply. Some of the vitriol blaming the machine for incompetent dealer techs or gouging dealer practices are crap. It's the dealer, not the machine in most cases.

I used to get my Spyder serviced where I bought it, a large dealership in Baltimore, which sells everything metric, as well as Can Am. They turned out to be a wh*re house. They sell Spyders, but they made it clear they don't want the service business - how: Raising the labor rate from $80.00 to $120.00/hr, while servicing everything else at the lower rate. Last year, they did the 12K service and gave me my Spyder back leaking oil. The tech didn't bother to replace the valve cover gaskets after adjusting the valves. Not the Spyder or BRP's fault. This told me that they'll sell 'em, but they either can't keep a certified tech on staff, or they'd sooner focus their service staff on the higher-density inventory, e.g. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc. The dealer is 26 miles from my house.

This isn't to say that every mixed-bag dealership is bad, but some are; and in those cases, here's something that I suggest everyone look for, even if it's a bit further from home. Look for a dealer that sells and services ONLY Can Am ... meaning Sea-Doo, Ski-Doo and their ATV line, or at least has it as their main fare. Here in Maryland, I am fortunate to have such a dealership 42 miles north of me in Hanover, PA. Can-Am is their main line, followed by Polaris. The only road machines on their floor are Spyders. The labor rate is $80.00 per hour. The tech has the highest BRP/Can-Am certification hours of anyone in the US. It is worth it to me to take my Spyder the extra 28 miles round trip to get the better service at the lower labor rate, to include absolute competence. My Spyder is more mechanically sound than at any time since I purchased it in January 2010. If a mixed-bag dealer, ask how many techs they have on hand and how many BRP certification hours they have. This will tell you a lot.

Another item I found helpful is to call BRP customer service, and tell them about your experiences with troublesome dealers. I did this once regarding my original dealer and within a day, I'd received a call from the dealer reflective of a lightning bolt up their butts. Corporate doesn't like dealers giving their product a bad name through crappy service.

My $.02.

Stharbor99
07-20-2013, 03:46 PM
My sts is fully stock no HID's and LEDs yet , I really want to customize it to my liking . I decided to hold off a bit till I get these issues worked out . The first service was a joke the dealer got me . The report at the end said they inspected every thing and retorque the motor mounts then it also said filter and oil change . Wat a joke I could of done that my self . I usually take all my bikes for the first service . My fiancée wants me to keep it and I really do want to dress it up . For now I am just gonna ride it as much as I can this season .
Where in NJ are you? I did have problems with my 2012 RTL last Aug! In n out of shop :( but ledgewood power sports in North Jersey really went to bat for me n got everything fixed! So far so good!!! They did send two of their guys to school to learn how to work on the Spyders! I think I paid like $275.00 for my first checkup!!

flaggerphil
07-20-2013, 04:02 PM
I started taking my Spyder to a dealer that only sold and serviced BRP/Can Am products about 20 minutes from me and it was a disaster. They simply didn't care about the service part of it...at least with Spyders. They didn't know about some things, they didn't care about others and they outright lied to me about service that was to have been done.

I fired them.

I finally found a dealer a bit over an hour away from me who sells Spyders, Hondas, Yamahas and Suzukis. One of the best dealers and service departments around.

I have to say, the original dealer never has more than a couple of Spyders on display and you pay what the tag says...no dealing at all. However, they have TONS of watercraft around, though I have no idea how their sales are with them. But they really don't care about the Spyders after the sale has been made.

Just goes to show that, unfortunately, you really have to look around for competent dealers and service providers with Spyders. There's a lot of hit or miss out there.

lookerjdc
07-20-2013, 05:57 PM
I would have to agree with you Phil...

they are more focused on the water craft and it seems like the Spyders are an after thought

I dont mind dealing with Dave there, and he has pointed out a couple of things to me, but, the bulk of the service is done by the people in the back who you never see or talk to, and when I bought my bike and my brothers bike, I was not very happy with the 'welcome/thank you for buying here' sort of thing.... it seemed like they did not really follow the BRP delivery/construction check list cause both my brother and I had to bring our bikes in a couple of times for things like the glove box cable not being attached, etc... the little things.....

we too are going to CFPS

54spyder
07-20-2013, 06:46 PM
I wish I could find a local Houston dealer who was that inexpensive. So far my quotes have been 400 dollars and up.

We ended up paying 343.00 for our 600 mile service today at Mancuso Gulf Freeway where we purchased our :spyder2:. It was much better than I anticipated. It took between 3-4 hours.

Edsts
07-23-2013, 08:26 PM
The service their is horrible , at the end I am always going to feel I payed way too much money for issues that I or any one should have to be dealing with .

Either way bike being sold ! :clap:

Where in NJ are you? I did have problems with my 2012 RTL last Aug! In n out of shop :( but ledgewood power sports in North Jersey really went to bat for me n got everything fixed! So far so good!!! They did send two of their guys to school to learn how to work on the Spyders! I think I paid like $275.00 for my first checkup!!

BajaRon
07-23-2013, 10:47 PM
The service their is horrible , at the end I am always going to feel I payed way too much money for issues that I or any one should have to be dealing with .

Either way bike being sold ! :clap:

Well, there you go! Problem solved! :ohyea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmMNpbFjp0

johnwinslow
07-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I have a great dealer, with a extraordinary service dept. I love my 2011 Red RTS. with 16,888 miles, and would not trade it ,not even for a Buick!! Robertson's Power Sports Sanford, Maine

mcaccamise
07-28-2013, 11:33 AM
The Dealer can make or break a great machine to travel further is not a problem finding great service is, Thank god i have a great Dealer who cares about quality work and their customers ,Thanks CFPS.
Mike