PDA

View Full Version : Fluid replacements..clutch/brake

wyliec
06-03-2013, 07:45 AM
I have a 2008 GS, SM5. Without looking at a repair bill from 2011 in which the clutch basket on my spyder had to be reinstalled on the crankshaft (at around 12,000 miles), would the clutch fluid have had to have been replaced? I only ask b/c another thread mentioned the brake fluid needed to be replaced at 14,000 miles; some felt that was an overkill. Since I have 25,000 miles I am now wondering if the clutch fluid needs to be replaced since the maintenance schedule states 14,000 miles for replacement of both clutch and brake fluid and of course coolant.

On the other thread there didn't seem to be any consensus as to whether the fluid changes could be extended out. My original dealer had said they inspect the fluid (brake/clutch) at the specified intervals and decide whether it needs to be replaced.

Chupaca
06-03-2013, 11:59 AM
The engine oil is also the clutch fluid you are talking about. With the new oils the recommended intervals are 4600 miles. Follow the owners manual for other fluid changes. If there is no record of any changes be wise to check and replace them...good luck :ohyea:

NancysToy
06-03-2013, 12:26 PM
The engine oil is also the clutch fluid you are talking about. With the new oils the recommended intervals are 4600 miles. Follow the owners manual for other fluid changes. If there is no record of any changes be wise to check and replace them...good luck :ohyea:

:lecturef_smilie: With a manual clutch there is a hydraulic clutch system, which has its own fluid. It uses DOT4 brake fluid.

Now for an answer to the first question. Unless the slave cylinder was dismantled, replacement of the clutch itself would not need to entail replacing the clutch fluid. A good tech probably would have done so, but there are no guarantees. Unless you have a service report indicating it was changed, you should assume it wasn't. JMHO

joet82
06-03-2013, 01:13 PM
The tranny and engine are all one cavity. Use the same oil. The difference between how much oil you put in an SM5 (4.2 QTS) and an SE5 (4.6 qts) is the room for the extra filter.

The SM5 has a fluid reservoir on the handlebar. Unscrew the cap and check it. If it need topping off, go by the manual and use the proper fluid. If it needs flushed, take it to your shop.

wyliec
06-03-2013, 01:33 PM
I pulled the service order. Without getting into all the details, the (clutch) repair order does show 1 qt (or part thereof) 4T 12x1 blend quart. I also called my dealer this morning and asked the service mgr. about the fluid changes (clutch, brake, coolant). They feel BRP's list is an overkill. However, every time a spyder is brought in for service/maintenance, the service mgr. said they check all the fluids. If they feel the fluid needs to be changed, they tell the customer. In other words, they don't automatically change it for 14,000 mile maintenance without talking to you.

joet82
06-03-2013, 07:46 PM
I pulled the service order. Without getting into all the details, the (clutch) repair order does show 1 qt (or part thereof) 4T 12x1 blend quart. I also called my dealer this morning and asked the service mgr. about the fluid changes (clutch, brake, coolant). They feel BRP's list is an overkill. However, every time a spyder is brought in for service/maintenance, the service mgr. said they check all the fluids. If they feel the fluid needs to be changed, they tell the customer. In other words, they don't automatically change it for 14,000 mile maintenance without talking to you.

Imo, that's how it should be. Why mess with something that's working right? Top it off if needed, then close everything back up. :-) if there is a problem, let the owner know your recomendation, and its up to them to decide to do the repair.