PDA

View Full Version : My spyder finally left me strandsd along the roadside

Spyderjockey
06-03-2013, 07:31 AM
I've been riding my Spyder since 2008 and it has never left me stranded until this past week-end. We were coming back from Pennsylvania after visiting my sister who is in a nursing home in Cornwall, Pa. because of advanced Alzheimer disease. It was really hot about 93 degs and we were on I81 and cruising about 70 to 75 mph when we rounded a corner and there ahead of us was a major parking lot of a construction slow down. We traveled probably about 8-10 miles at 3 or 4 miles an hour and many, many complete stops for minutes at a time.

My bike was running between 4 and 5 bars on the temp. gauge and then all of a sudden I smelled anti-freeze ant the temp went to the top minus 1 bar and immediately went into limp mode. I pulled into the median and pulled off some of the tupperware on the right side and discovered a major leak coming from what I discovered later was the "connector" which is basically a bulbous mixing chamber to keep both cylinders at the same temp. I guess.

Anyway I called my insurance company to get someone to pick us up but was not getting anywhere with the person on the phone saying "I'll have to get back with you". I didn't like the sounds of that and since it was going for 7 PM and we were about 140 miles from home. Spyderman990 was with us and I finally convinced him to go on without us since he had at least another hour beyond us to get to his house. I called my son and he came down with his trailer and picked us up at about 9:30 and we were loading the bike in the dark. :banghead: By the time we stopped for something to eat and made the 2+ hour drive home it was almost 1 AM.

I had just replaced my coolant reservoir about about 3 weeks ago because that too had failed with a crack in the side of it and that is what happened to this "connector". I am ordering the part today and hope we can get it right away without having it on back order. Like I say it was the first time the spyder had let us down and the first time it had ever been in a trailer. I guess I shouldn't complain with 84,000 miles on it. ;)

scooterexpress
06-03-2013, 07:42 AM
glad to hear it wasn't major problem sounds like you got this well in hand.so whatever happened with the insurance company? whos your carrier? i'd be raising heck with them.

BikerDoc
06-03-2013, 07:50 AM
I would think it to be highly likely that hoses and hard plastic parts would fail after 5 years of good riding... It would be interesting to know what parts should be replaced as preventive maintenance after say 4 , 5, and 6 years.....

Bob Denman
06-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Hi Jim!
After all this time...
But She sure has been good to you guys! :thumbup:
In hindsight; do you think that this "chamber" should have been examined a bit when your coolant reservoir was replaced?
I've seen more than a few recent comments about the high temperatures under the tupperware deteriorating components; could this be another example of that?
Anyway; I'm glad to hear that you guys had a "Plan B" to fall back on for the hauling chores! :2thumbs:

docdoru
06-03-2013, 07:58 AM
I had just replaced my coolant reservoir about about 3 weeks ago because that too had failed with a crack in the side of it and that is what happened to this "connector". I am ordering the part today and hope we can get it right away without having it on back order. Like I say it was the first time the spyder had let us down and the first time it had ever been in a trailer. I guess I shouldn't complain with 84,000 miles on it. ;)

I would replace the "Walmart" thermostat housing also:
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/20120829_093913-1.jpg?t=1346805168
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/20120829_093945-1.jpg?t=1346805155

r1100rider
06-03-2013, 09:22 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/20120829_093913-1.jpg?t=1346805168
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/20120829_093945-1.jpg?t=1346805155
Is that the thermostat housing in the pic or is it the part Spyder jockey is talking about

SpyderAnn01
06-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Jim, I'm glad your son was able to come to your rescue. I wonder if your insurance would have covered trailering the spyder all the way to your house I know some have a pretty low dollar limit that won't get you very far.

wyliec
06-03-2013, 09:33 AM
glad to hear it wasn't major problem sounds like you got this well in hand.so whatever happened with the insurance company? whos your carrier? i'd be raising heck with them.

Any problem that leaves you on the side of the road and needing a tow/flat bed is a major problem. JMO.

Jim,

Glad to see everything turned out okay. By the way, my gf, out of the clear blue, ask me last week how you and your wife were doing. I said I think he's doing fine; he's still posting.

How was the visit with your sister? I know that's got to be tough.

spydercowboy
06-03-2013, 09:35 AM
It's beginning to sound like ALL rubber and plastic parts need to be replaced at some point. Maybe 5 years or 50,000 miles. Just to be safe. I hate the idea of walking!

Ga Blue Knight
06-03-2013, 10:31 AM
On the other hand what other brand of bike would have given you trouble free (that is non-stranded on the side of the road trouble) 84,000miles? Maybe a Goldwing or a BMW, not too many others.

docdoru
06-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Is that the thermostat housing in the pic or is it the part Spyder jockey is talking about

It is the thermostat housing off my Spyder (180K miles).

docdoru
06-03-2013, 11:09 AM
On the other hand what other brand of bike would have given you trouble free (that is non-stranded on the side of the road trouble) 84,000miles? Maybe a Goldwing or a BMW, not too many others.
No frame trouble on Silver Dream @ 200,790 miles.

Chupaca
06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
glad things worked out with a minimum of discomfort. Hope the meal was worth it. 84,000 is a good run and agree with Bob on having all parts checked when tank failed. Hope it will be back on the road soon...:ohyea:

ARtraveler
06-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Glad to hear you got through the situation without to much trouble.

IMO: it is probably a good idea to check wear and tear parts on a regular basis. No one wants to be stranded on the side of the road by a busted hose or something like that.

So far, so good for me. I still have that feeling in the back of my mind sometimes when I go on a trip. Is this the one where I am going to get stranded? I have been driving a long time also--since 2008 and have experienced 4 different :spyder2:'s. The track record is still good--about 87,000 :spyder2: miles and counting. I do get a lump in my throat whenever the :ani29: throws a screen at me. We all experience that from time to time.

I guess that is one downside of driving a machine with all the technology the :ani29: offers.

OldDog
06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
It is the thermostat housing off my Spyder (180K miles).

Couldn't/shouldn't that part be made of metal?

Spyderjockey
06-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Jim!
After all this time...
But She sure has been good to you guys! :thumbup:
In hindsight; do you think that this "chamber" should have been examined a bit when your coolant reservoir was replaced?
I've seen more than a few recent comments about the high temperatures under the tupperware deteriorating components; could this be another example of that?
Anyway; I'm glad to hear that you guys had a "Plan B" to fall back on for the hauling chores! :2thumbs:

and you're right Bob it sure has been good to us.:thumbup: I did look at all the hoses and clamps etc. and they looked fine. I guess though that part should have been replaced as well, but I really didn't know what it was until the problem occurred and it was a crack that could hardly be seen and not at all until it was off the bike. I am considering changing the thermostat housing also as per Docdoru's thread.

[Quote=Wyliec]
Any problem that leaves you on the side of the road and needing a tow/flat bed is a major problem. JMO.

Jim,

Glad to see everything turned out okay. By the way, my gf, out of the clear blue, ask me last week how you and your wife were doing. I said I think he's doing fine; he's still posting.

How was the visit with your sister? I know that's got to be tough.

I agree with you Ron, it was a major problem and a long wait along side of the road. Tell your girlfriend (sorry I forgot her name) thanks for thinking about us and that we are doing fine. As to my sister she is doing about the same, although her son thinks she is getting worse mentally and seems to being "status quo" physically. It sure is hard to see her mind altered so much by this horrible disease. She always knows us but is really confused about what her life is like everyday. She told us that she walked to California the other day and that she rides her bicycle a lot. She is confined to a wheelchair in reality. She asks about our sister and our parents a lot and whether we have been to see them lately. All of them have passed away several years ago. Thanks for asking about her, Ron. Hope to see you guys and maybe go out for lunch at Spaghetti Warehouse sometime soon.:thumbup:

bobnaquin
06-03-2013, 04:31 PM
I've been riding my Spyder since 2008 and it has never left me stranded until this past week-end. We were coming back from Pennsylvania after visiting my sister who is in a nursing home in Cornwall, Pa. because of advanced Alzheimer disease. It was really hot about 93 degs and we were on I81 and cruising about 70 to 75 mph when we rounded a corner and there ahead of us was a major parking lot of a construction slow down. We traveled probably about 8-10 miles at 3 or 4 miles an hour and many, many complete stops for minutes at a time.

My bike was running between 4 and 5 bars on the temp. gauge and then all of a sudden I smelled anti-freeze ant the temp went to the top minus 1 bar and immediately went into limp mode. I pulled into the median and pulled off some of the tupperware on the right side and discovered a major leak coming from what I discovered later was the "connector" which is basically a bulbous mixing chamber to keep both cylinders at the same temp. I guess.

Anyway I called my insurance company to get someone to pick us up but was not getting anywhere with the person on the phone saying "I'll have to get back with you". I didn't like the sounds of that and since it was going for 7 PM and we were about 140 miles from home. Spyderman990 was with us and I finally convinced him to go on without us since he had at least another hour beyond us to get to his house. I called my son and he came down with his trailer and picked us up at about 9:30 and we were loading the bike in the dark. :banghead: By the time we stopped for something to eat and made the 2+ hour drive home it was almost 1 AM.

Would you let me know the part number of the 'bulbous' part. I have heard enough of this in that I am going to change my reservoir and bulbous part on my 2008. Sorry for your troubles. Nothing worse than a broken toy..on the side of the road..in the heat..at sunset...

Spyderjockey
06-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Would you let me know the part number of the 'bulbous' part. I have heard enough of this in that I am going to change my reservoir and bulbous part on my 2008. Sorry for your troubles. Nothing worse than a broken toy..on the side of the road..in the heat..at sunset...

Ya the part number for that is 709200151 and it is called a "connector". I don't blame you for wanting to change these parts and maybe the thermostat housing also as Docdoru advises.;)

Spyderjockey
06-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Jim, I'm glad your son was able to come to your rescue. I wonder if your insurance would have covered trailering the spyder all the way to your house I know some have a pretty low dollar limit that won't get you very far.

Our insurance has towing for up to 75 miles and it would have gotten us to Rusty Palmers in Honesdale, Pa. or at least a lot closer for my son to have had to go to get to us....if I could have had success with the person on the phone. I have to remember to call the insurance company tomorrow to complain about the poor service that I got on Saturday.

Spyderjockey
06-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Also I just wanted to thank everyone for their concern and well wishes from everyone. This is truly a great forum with many good friends that I may have not even met yet!!!:clap::thumbup::ohyea:

Spyderjockey
06-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Hi Doc, is there another source available for the housing or did you just replace it with the BRP part again? Thanks for the heads up.

otter28169
06-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I have been out of the loop myself. Remember that you do have my numbers, and that I do have a trailer. If anything like that ever happens again and you need, give me a call. Our prayers are with you and your family, I know how hard it is to watch someone suffer through that awful disease. I am also hoping that you are on the road again soon. Now that the warm weather is here, we will have to have you and Nancy over for a BBQ. See ya soon.

Just sayin'............

missouriboy
06-03-2013, 09:23 PM
It's beginning to sound like ALL rubber and plastic parts need to be replaced at some point. Maybe 5 years or 50,000 miles. Just to be safe. I hate the idea of walking!ALL rubber & plastic? :yikes: Isn't that tantamount to a complete trade-up to a new Spyder?

As I remember my dad saying about 60 years ago... "The only way to fix that car is to jack up the radiator cap and run a new one under it, then let the cap back down." O' course, that was back when a car was only good for about 50,000 miles. And this Spyder has 84,000! :yes:

docdoru
06-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi Doc, is there another source available for the housing or did you just replace it with the BRP part again? Thanks for the heads up.
Went with BRP part, original failed on the first run (128+ miles/hour) on the Salt Flats 2012 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39574-FIM-and-AMA-Bonneville-2012&p=510538&viewfull=1#post510538 ). Salt Lake City High Adventure Power Sports & Marine and Gary save me twice (2010 and 2012 :bowdown::firstplace:).
There is another SL ryder who is trying to build this part from metal...no reply.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/20120828_181418.jpg?t=1346199545

Spyderjockey
06-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Went with BRP part, original failed on the first run (128+ miles/hour) on the Salt Flats 2012 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39574-FIM-and-AMA-Bonneville-2012&p=510538&viewfull=1#post510538 ). Salt Lake City High Adventure Power Sports & Marine and Gary save me twice (2010 and 2012 :bowdown::firstplace:).
There is another SL ryder who is trying to build this part from metal...no reply.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/20120828_181418.jpg?t=1346199545
I got my Spyder back together today and all seems well now. Since my problems started about 3 weeks ago with coolant problems I have replaced the reservoir that was leaking, the connector (mixing chamber) that was leaking, thermostat housing that was not leaking but replaced it "just in case" and the return throttle cable that was broken. The hoses all seemed in good shape with no checks or cracking and still very pliable. We went for about 130 mile ride today and saw no leaks. What a relief!!:yes::thumbup::clap:

docdoru
06-06-2013, 08:21 AM
I got my Spyder back together today and all seems well now. Since my problems started about 3 weeks ago with coolant problems I have replaced the reservoir that was leaking, the connector (mixing chamber) that was leaking, thermostat housing that was not leaking but replaced it "just in case" and the return throttle cable that was broken. The hoses all seemed in good shape with no checks or cracking and still very pliable. We went for about 130 mile ride today and saw no leaks. What a relief!!:yes::thumbup::clap:

The thermostat housing is a $26 part; for the bike's age, mileage and previous problems- is just "preventive" part replacement. Now you're good to go for another 80K miles :thumbup: