PDA

View Full Version : Zumo 550 Route planning software?

Cavman
06-02-2013, 07:28 PM
I have a Garmin Zumo 550. I need to know how I get about programming a route on the unit using some sort of software on a computer.
Another thing. I'm not real computer savvy. I need something that's simple.

I'm looking around the Garmin website but I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is located there?

Thanks in advance.

ThreeWheels
06-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Mapsource is the program Garmin uses. If you own a Zumo it should be available to you.
Call Garmin customer service and they can walk you through it.

2 Cruysyn
06-02-2013, 08:13 PM
I have a Garmin Zumo 550. I need to know how I get about programming a route on the unit using some sort of software on a computer.
Another thing. I'm not real computer savvy. I need something that's simple.

I'm looking around the Garmin website but I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is located there?

Thanks in advance.

You have two choices from Garmin. One that has already been mentioned is MapSource (http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/mapsource) which Garmin refers to as "Legacy" software which is a polite way of saying its old. I imagine it'll still work though. Their most recent application is BaseCamp (http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp) which I must admit isn't always user friendly.

Cavman
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Last year we had a ride with the SRA with the folks at ISCI. One of the guys put his card into my Zumo 550 with turn by turn instructions of the route we were to follow. I was riding in the back of the group with the idea that if we got separated, I would be able to catch up using the directions in my GPS. He said that he was using some sort of Harley Davidson trip planning software?
That is the type of software I'm looking for. I'm tired of using analog GPS on a trip....a piece of paper taped on the glove box cover with written directions. :banghead:

2 Cruysyn
06-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Last year we had a ride with the SRA with the folks at ISCI. One of the guys put his card into my Zumo 550 with turn by turn instructions of the route we were to follow. I was riding in the back of the group with the idea that if we got separated, I would be able to catch up using the directions in my GPS. He said that he was using some sort of Harley Davidson trip planning software?
That is the type of software I'm looking for. I'm tired of using analog GPS on a trip....a piece of paper taped on the glove box cover with written directions. :banghead:

This one is new to me so I can't tell you anything about it (http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Ride_Planner/ride-planner.html). Would be nice if you could save your routes to an SD card. Time for me to go learn something.

Trickie Dick
06-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Here's a link. http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp
I found this a lot easier to use than the Garmin programs. To me it's easier to put in waypoints.

Cavman
06-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks TD!

gnirtsnod
06-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Here's a link. http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp
I found this a lot easier to use than the Garmin programs. To me it's easier to put in waypoints.

Another is Streets and Trips. Easy to use and can convert the finished file into the Garmin compatible format.

Cavman
06-02-2013, 10:01 PM
69222I tried the software. Wow, this works great....except? It shows this route is 720 miles from Marietta, GA to Maggie Valley, NC. It says it will take about 12 hours to drive there. The numbers are all wrong. It's a shorter distance than driving to Savannah, GA. Maybe it's figuring out the distance as round trip?

It was pretty easy for even me to figure out. Thanks again TD!

NancysToy
06-02-2013, 10:19 PM
69222I tried the software. Wow, this works great....except? It shows this route is 720 miles from Marietta, GA to Maggie Valley, NC. It says it will take about 12 hours to drive there. The numbers are all wrong. It's a shorter distance than driving to Savannah, GA. Maybe it's figuring out the distance as round trip?

It was pretty easy for even me to figure out. Thanks again TD!
Not sure what you did wrong. It shows me 174 miles in 3 hours 23 minutes. Google Maps shows similar numbers. Try again...practice makes perfect.

Dochands
06-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the question and the post. I've used a Garmin for years and did not know you could even do this.

NancysToy
06-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the question and the post. I've used a Garmin for years and did not know you could even do this.

Pleasse note that these programs will transfer the waypoints, but not the selected roads. The Garmin will select its own route between waypoints. Most of the mapping programs have this export capability.

Trickie Dick
06-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Pleasse note that these programs will transfer the waypoints, but not the selected roads. The Garmin will select its own route between waypoints. Most of the mapping programs have this export capability.

:agree: The key to route planning is to arrange the waypoints along the route you want to take. It will force the Garmin to compute it's route based on your waypoints. Plot the route, load it to the Garmin and have Garmin compute the custom route. Then, go into the route and get a preview of it to make sure you have it the way you want it. It can be frustrating and puzzling to get on the road and have have the GPS tell you to go one way when you know you want to go another. Some Garmins will not do waypoints, some will do 10 and others will do hundreds so be careful.

Cavman
06-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks gnirtsnod, I'll check that one out too.