PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had issues with the GPS that comes with the Limited?

GMac
06-02-2013, 03:18 PM
I've had the Spyder for about two months now. After the first month or so I started to get a horrible screeching sound coming out of my speakers. It quit by itself after about thirty seconds but then about an hour later it started again after I had shut the bike off to get gas and I found that the sound was coming from the GPS itself. After that it started making the same sound occasionally, then not making any sound at all (either through the speakers or the headset). I had plugged it in and done the update as they ask using the Garmin software (I actually did it a couple of times). It finally quit working completely.

After taking it to my dealer, they had me contact Garmin. I did and just over a week ago I got a new one from Garmin. Plugged it in on Memorial Day for our trip up to Rockport and it worked just fine. On the trip back, it started making a familiar noise and then quit giving me any kind of sound. It has worked intermittently since then until today. It started to work again this morning but the voice sounded like one of the Chipmunks (and I hadn't done a thing to the settings). It then failed completely on the way home and won't restart at all.

I'm going to go back to the dealer again tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else had any issues - and at this point I'm wondering if it's something with wiring somehow (or contacts maybe) instead of the actual GPS unit itself since it's done the same thing twice. I don't actually use the GPS all that often and when I'm not using it, it's zipped up inside the holder that came with it and the rubber boot has always been over the contacts when not in use so I don't think there's anything else I could have done.

Any suggestions would be helpful (I did do an internet search and found that it appears the same GPS unit is rebranded for Harley also and found two other situations that seemed to be similar to mine).

Thanks!!!!
Gary

grumpybob
06-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Have not had any problems with mine, 2012 RT. Might try cleaning the contacts on the RT for the GPS or it my not be seating completely. Road jarring or vibration may be working it free enough so the contacts are not getting a good seat after riding a while. My best guess.

eddieshep999
06-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Maybe your dealer or a friend with a Spyder RT Limited could swap over the GPS that would give an indication if its the GPS or the Motorcycle Mount

One of the best websites for all things connected with the Garmim Zumo GPS Units is this one

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

Post a thread or do a search on the Zumo website and they may be able to point you in the right direction

I hope you get it sorted - My Zumo 660 on my Spyder RT-S SE5 2010 Model is great and I have not had any problems apart from when I picked up the Spyder and the Power connections came apart due to a poor crimp
It would run on its battery but no power from the Spyder - Once sorted no other issues

gorcutt
06-02-2013, 03:35 PM
No problems on mine, works just fine.

harrypottar
06-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Again not much help but a vote of confidence that mine works ok. With it doing it on two Zumo's I would suspect the mount or harness.

Like the previous poster said have the dealer try another GPS from another spyder or try your GPS on another Spyder. Have them check the mount and harness.

harry

Illinois Boy
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
You should have also received the car mount and power cord with your GPS. It should have been in the box...

If not... talk to your dealer.

If you did, then hook-up the GPS in your car and see if it does the same thing. If so, then it is likely the unit itself. If not, well then... you have a problem with either the wiring or the mounting bracket for the Spyder.

GMac
06-02-2013, 09:34 PM
You should have also received the car mount and power cord with your GPS. It should have been in the box...

If not... talk to your dealer.

If you did, then hook-up the GPS in your car and see if it does the same thing. If so, then it is likely the unit itself. If not, well then... you have a problem with either the wiring or the mounting bracket for the Spyder.

...and I DO have the car mount piece, but the problem is that now the GPS simply doesn't work.

It's charged (or it was when it quit working) and it won't go past the "CanAm" screen when it starts to boot. This is true on the mount or off the mount or even plugged in to the USB cord. Sometimes it doesn't even get to that point and will simply give me a black screen. This has been the case since it flaked out on me yesterday (and the same behavior of the first unit I had). This is why I think there has to be a problem in the wiring or mount somewhere that must have fried the unit.

If I had a new one I would try it in the car first though it would have to be for a long period of time to ensure it didn't do the same thing (since it worked on the Spyder at first as well - both times).

NancysToy
06-02-2013, 10:06 PM
If it won't run on the proper USB cable, it is a bad unit. Afraid you'll have to contact Garmin again.

eddieshep999
06-03-2013, 01:14 AM
You could try the factory reset which is listed in the manual :-

Resetting your Zumo

If the Zumo stops functioning - Turn off the Zumo and then turn it back on
If this does not help Press and hold the Start button for 8 seconds
Turn on the Zumo again and the Zumo should start normally

Another thing to try is to remove the battery and then reinsert it - There have been cases where the Zumo just stops working usually taking out the battery and reinserting it seems to reboot the Zumo and they come back to life

GMac
06-03-2013, 05:54 AM
You could try the factory reset which is listed in the manual :-

Resetting your Zumo

If the Zumo stops functioning - Turn off the Zumo and then turn it back on
If this does not help Press and hold the Start button for 8 seconds
Turn on the Zumo again and the Zumo should start normally

Another thing to try is to remove the battery and then reinsert it - There have been cases where the Zumo just stops working usually taking out the battery and reinserting it seems to reboot the Zumo and they come back to life

On the first one I had already tried that when I spoke with the support tech at Garmin and he had me try it again before deciding the unit was fried. I tried all of it with this unit as well. I also tried setting it back to factory defaults after reinstalling the software through the Garmin software (Webupdater and Garmin Express). At this point it won't come on to let me try that again though.

harrypottar
06-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Just one thought, is it getting charged from from the spyder. Either leave it plugged into the USB for a while or next time you go for a drive stick it in the car mount to charge. Just throwing this out there with it not even turning on.

harry

NancysToy
06-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Just one thought, is it getting charged from from the spyder. Either leave it plugged into the USB for a while or next time you go for a drive stick it in the car mount to charge. Just throwing this out there with it not even turning on.

harry
Good point!

GMac
06-03-2013, 04:45 PM

harry

It is charging BUT it may not be charging fully. At this point, I believe this unit has been fried like the last one, but the dealer thinks it may have something to do with not having a "full" battery on the Spyder. I don't have any additional electrical equipment on the bike but for some reason when I start it, it frequently turns over once and stops, then the computer goes wacky for a second, restarts, and then the bike starts up fine (though it turns over very slowly when I push the button until it's started). I described this to him and then it actually did it when he came out to look at it (it's been "iffy" as to whether it will do this or start with no issue). I honestly didn't think too much of it since I've never ridden any other Spyder and just thought it was "normal".

He thinks that because the battery isn't completely charged as it should be it may have led to some kind of improper voltage that did very bad things to the Garmin. I have a battery tender that I use for my Honda and I'm using it as I type this on the Spyder and will keep it on overnight. The dealer said that they had a Spyder that did the same thing (low battery, not damaging the GPS) and after keeping it on the Tender overnight it seemed to solve that particular problem.

I'm going to have to call Garmin and get yet another unit sent out but at least we MIGHT be onto what the problem is (though I have no idea why the battery would be low without any additional electronics installed on it - strictly factory).

NancysToy
06-03-2013, 05:02 PM
You have just described the classic symptoims of a loose battery connection, loose gound, or bad battery. I don't know what to tell you about a tech who suspected it, but didn't bother to check further. If it was this way from day one, it was likely a pep issue...when the tech failed to tighten the battery connections properly. That is pretty common.

GMac
06-03-2013, 05:16 PM
You have just described the classic symptoims of a loose battery connection, loose gound, or bad battery. I don't know what to tell you about a tech who suspected it, but didn't bother to check further. If it was this way from day one, it was likely a pep issue...when the tech failed to tighten the battery connections properly. That is pretty common.

...but then I freely admit to being mechanically challenged (and that's being very nice about it).

They didn't suspect anything before because I hadn't mentioned it. I've only had it about two months now and simply never knew it was acting poorly enough that I should mention it (other than the GPS problem and I didn't mention the other issue when I initially brought it in for the GPS a couple of weeks ago so they didn't have any reason to suspect it) so that's really my fault and not theirs.

The person that suggested I try this (putting it on the battery tender) is the owner of the dealership and he seemed to think it may correct the problem and would be the easiest solution. I want to think he's right and that they didn't do anything wrong when they put it together (loose connections, etc.) because they certainly didn't offer to check all of that when I was in today, but I realize that may not be the case. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt right this minute and hope this corrects it. If not, I'll be going back armed with the information you gave me and I won't be a happy camper at that point.

Thank you!!!
Gary

harrypottar
06-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Highly recommend a battery tender, all my gear is always on battery tenders. This will keep your battery topped up but won't help if you battery connections are lose.

Note the dealer may have tightened them at PDI, but like most motorcycle the spyder vibrates and they do come lose.

I'm house bound at the moment but if your riding around RI/MA I would be happy to look at your GPS. I'm on the border of MA/RI/CT not too far from Vanilla Bean.

harry

GMac
06-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Highly recommend a battery tender, all my gear is always on battery tenders. This will keep your battery topped up but won't help if you battery connections are lose.

Note the dealer may have tightened them at PDI, but like most motorcycle the spyder vibrates and they do come lose.

I'm house bound at the moment but if your riding around RI/MA I would be happy to look at your GPS. I'm on the border of MA/RI/CT not too far from Vanilla Bean.

harry

I had it on the tender for the last four hours or so - went out and had a solid green light which means it should be good to go. Took the tender off, put the key in and turned it, computer and lights came on fine, pushed the start button and it went completely dead. No power, no nothing. Tried to connect the tender again and it wouldn't even sense that it was connected (had a flashing red light no matter what I did).

I had only connected it using the clamps rather than actually attaching to the posts. The dealer suggested that first to see if it made a difference rather than removing the panels that he said was necessary to install the line properly (and I don't know that I could do it anyway - like I said earlier, I'm NOT mechanical). I say this to stress that I could not have possibly loosened something somewhere and not tightened it back up again.

So now I have a completely dead machine sitting in the driveway. There is definitely something not connected right somewhere!!! (I don't know for certain if that is what was causing the problem with the GPS or not, but I'm sure it didn't help).

NancysToy
06-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Sounds like you have a dead short in the starter or starter relay or a major wire, or something was drastically miswired. You are lucky it didn't start a fire. Your Spyder needs serious help. Have it towed to a competent dealer.

Illinois Boy
06-03-2013, 08:24 PM
I had it on the tender for the last four hours or so - went out and had a solid green light which means it should be good to go. Took the tender off, put the key in and turned it, computer and lights came on fine, pushed the start button and it went completely dead. No power, no nothing. Tried to connect the tender again and it wouldn't even sense that it was connected (had a flashing red light no matter what I did).

I had only connected it using the clamps rather than actually attaching to the posts. The dealer suggested that first to see if it made a difference rather than removing the panels that he said was necessary to install the line properly (and I don't know that I could do it anyway - like I said earlier, I'm NOT mechanical). I say this to stress that I could not have possibly loosened something somewhere and not tightened it back up again.

So now I have a completely dead machine sitting in the driveway. There is definitely something not connected right somewhere!!! (I don't know for certain if that is what was causing the problem with the GPS or not, but I'm sure it didn't help).

GPS units can be sensitive to power fluctuations. They also can sometimes be caused to have software problems when plugged into a computer via the USB cord. Mostly is you remove them too quickly when it is still setting itself up. This is somewhat rare with the Garmin though, compared to other brands (don't ask).

However, this appears you have electrical problems with your Spyder overall. One also has to wonder if they hooked-up the GPS harness wrong.

I would at this point have your conversation with the dealer... sorry to say.

Good luck to you.

MouthPiece
06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
I've had the Spyder for about two months now. After the first month or so I started to get a horrible screeching sound coming out of my speakers. It quit by itself after about thirty seconds but then about an hour later it started again after I had shut the bike off to get gas and I found that the sound was coming from the GPS itself. After that it started making the same sound occasionally, then not making any sound at all (either through the speakers or the headset). I had plugged it in and done the update as they ask using the Garmin software (I actually did it a couple of times). It finally quit working completely.

After taking it to my dealer, they had me contact Garmin. I did and just over a week ago I got a new one from Garmin. Plugged it in on Memorial Day for our trip up to Rockport and it worked just fine. On the trip back, it started making a familiar noise and then quit giving me any kind of sound. It has worked intermittently since then until today. It started to work again this morning but the voice sounded like one of the Chipmunks (and I hadn't done a thing to the settings). It then failed completely on the way home and won't restart at all.

I'm going to go back to the dealer again tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else had any issues - and at this point I'm wondering if it's something with wiring somehow (or contacts maybe) instead of the actual GPS unit itself since it's done the same thing twice. I don't actually use the GPS all that often and when I'm not using it, it's zipped up inside the holder that came with it and the rubber boot has always been over the contacts when not in use so I don't think there's anything else I could have done.

Any suggestions would be helpful (I did do an internet search and found that it appears the same GPS unit is rebranded for Harley also and found two other situations that seemed to be similar to mine).

Thanks!!!!
Gary

I have a question or two. First, when your GPS starts to "power up" or go through the stage of "loading" do you hear the little "blip" sound? Further, do you hear the "blip" sound when choosing options such as "where to" versus "map".

Second, if you don't hear the blip sound, is this when you don't hear the "audio directions" from the female voice? OR, If you do hear the "blip sound" when the GPS is loading, do you not then hear her voice.

Third, do you find that the GPS does not query whether you want to have it turn off OR continue under battery power. (There usually is a message asking the above). If it does not show this message, does the lack of directional voice or blip occur afterwards when you go to use again?

I'm interested in your reply because I am experiencing just about the same issue as you. My remedy has been to literally beat the back side of the GPS (Zumo 660) and most of the time this resolves the problem. It has nothing to do with the contacts with the holder. (at least on mine)

Chris

GMac
06-04-2013, 06:12 PM
I have a question or two. First, when your GPS starts to "power up" or go through the stage of "loading" do you hear the little "blip" sound? Further, do you hear the "blip" sound when choosing options such as "where to" versus "map".

Second, if you don't hear the blip sound, is this when you don't hear the "audio directions" from the female voice? OR, If you do hear the "blip sound" when the GPS is loading, do you not then hear her voice.

Third, do you find that the GPS does not query whether you want to have it turn off OR continue under battery power. (There usually is a message asking the above). If it does not show this message, does the lack of directional voice or blip occur afterwards when you go to use again?

I'm interested in your reply because I am experiencing just about the same issue as you. My remedy has been to literally beat the back side of the GPS (Zumo 660) and most of the time this resolves the problem. It has nothing to do with the contacts with the holder. (at least on mine)

Chris

It won't power up now so I can't test it for you or I would.

When it was starting to power up (but wouldn't move past the CanAm screen) it wouldn't make the little "blip" sound. At that point, it simply wouldn't go any further and didn't make any sounds.

Prior to that happening, and prior to it making the horrible screeching sound and the sound in general cutting out, then yes, it did make the little "blip" sound when it loaded and when you used the touchscreen. For awhile (on both of my units) it worked fine with no sound - and that meant no "blip" sound and no voice sound either. The touchscreen worked perfectly, the mapping portion worked perfectly, simply no sound. The weird part was that even during this "phase" it would occasionally start working fine, including the voice. At one point on Sunday before it stopped working altogether, it did something even more odd. It had been working in the morning (with no sound, but working) then suddenly the sound started working, but the voice sounded like one of the Chipmunks (from the Christmas record). I hadn't done anything to the sound setting to change the voice (and to my knowledge, I didn't pay extra for the "chipmunk" voice) so I have no idea why this happened. It did this for about ten or fifteen minutes, then just as abruptly went back to the "working fine but no sound" mode. It was sometime later in the morning that it froze and quit working completely.

It does (did) always ask if you want to continue without power and I always chose "shut down" and then just started it up later. Because it always showed that message I can't really answer your last question.

I have smacked the back of it a couple of times - not because I thought it would help but simply because I was frustrated. It didn't do any good though - either it continued to not work at all or continued to work in "no voice" mode, depending upon when I did it.

I don't know if that helped you at all but I hope you have more luck than I have had!!
Gary

GMac
06-06-2013, 10:08 PM

It went back to the dealer because after putting it on the battery tender and trying to start it, it simply died and had no power whatsoever. I hadn't loosened anything (just used the clips rather than installing any kind of wires) so I knew it wasn't that but it reacted similar to the way a car would if I hadn't tightened a battery cable onto the post.

The dealer found that the cable from the battery that lead to something he called an "o-ring" wasn't seated well. It evidently was barely making a connection. This led to problems with it charging properly and starting properly. The dealer didn't want to have to wait for a part so they cut the wire and resoldered it (he said it was probably a better connection now than a new one would be). They ran all of the tests and everything seems like it's working the way it should be now.

We're really hoping that this will fix the problem I've had with the two GPS units I've had. They both gave me the same problems and he thinks it's entirely possible that the issue could have been that the voltage they were receiving was so screwed up because of the wiring problem that it could have fried them. I have to wait to get a new one (again) from Garmin, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I still think it should be illegal to have this much fun riding any vehicle!! In spite of some of my issues I'm in love with my Spyder!!!

Fusionfool
06-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Go to the Garmin web site and allow it to load new version this should correct your issue.

GMac
06-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Go to the Garmin web site and allow it to load new version this should correct your issue.

I used both Garmin's WebUpdater client and their Garmin Express software and updated the unit as soon as I received it. Garmin themselves while on the phone agreed that I had done all that I could on my end. It appears that they were somehow fried because of the power variance that they were receiving through the docking cradle. The battery wasn't connected properly (it was tightened properly but the end of one of the cables wasn't sealed (crimped?) correctly to something on the other end (this is according to what the dealer told me when they brought it in to look based on other power related issues I started having). I just received my third one in the mail today - I'm hoping the third time's the charm.

rcturner
06-15-2013, 07:54 PM
If your Limited is a 2012, the only place you should need to go is back to the dealer. The problem should be theirs. Anything you might do could change that.

GMac
06-15-2013, 10:43 PM
If your Limited is a 2012, the only place you should need to go is back to the dealer. The problem should be theirs. Anything you might do could change that.

Garmin sent me a second unit which was also promptly fried. After finding that it did this to two units in a row that's when I suspected it wasn't just the Garmin. I took it back to the dealer again at that point (the bike had finally died completely and had no power to anything). After they checked it over thoroughly there WAS something not connected properly - a wire from the battery to something the dealer called an "o-ring" wasn't making a good connection. They cut and resoldered this wire and I'm having no issues now at all. We THINK it was a problem with the voltage not being correct because of this issue and this is what fried two Garmin units. Garmin sent me another (third) unit which is connected now and at this point I haven't had any further issues.