PDA

View Full Version : LOST ALL KEYS :(

Sigillum6
06-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm going to admit right now I'm the biggest idiot of ALL time :banghead:. I lost my spare key a while back and just had 1 key for my Spyder and now it seems to have gotten misplaced. I've literally scoured my entire 700 sq ft apartment & my car, all the clothes - EVERYTHING to avoid paying the $600 charge for putting a new ignition on my Spyder.

After looking all over the internet I'm starting to feel like I may be the only Spyder owner of all time who has had this happen, but if I am not, does anyone know of alternate solutions?

I brought up the possibility of buying a blank and having a locksmith cut it for my ignition and then getting it programmed to my bike however every dealer I've talked to said they need at least one of the keys to grab the code?

I'm really thinking I'm screwed on this one but just thought I'd check to see if anyone has helpful info..

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 07:04 PM
I'm going to admit right now I'm the biggest idiot of ALL time :banghead:. I lost my spare key a while back and just had 1 key for my Spyder and now it seems to have gotten misplaced. I've literally scoured my entire 700 sq ft apartment & my car, all the clothes - EVERYTHING to avoid paying the $600 charge for putting a new ignition on my Spyder.

After looking all over the internet I'm starting to feel like I may be the only Spyder owner of all time who has had this happen, but if I am not, does anyone know of alternate solutions?

I brought up the possibility of buying a blank and having a locksmith cut it for my ignition and then getting it programmed to my bike however every dealer I've talked to said they need at least one of the keys to grab the code?

I'm really thinking I'm screwed on this one but just thought I'd check to see if anyone has helpful info..

Ouch! and :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

There's no easy or cheap way out that I'm aware of. What the dealers have told you is true. Think I'd turn everything in the place over one more time.....really dig deep in your favorite setting place and flop those chairs over to see if it's laying in or around the dust cover underneath a chair.

Dig more man!!! and good luck.

JCSMOKE
06-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Usually in my past it was a well used car that knew if I had an extra $600 sitting around, then a part would give way, and that part would cost Just over $700. If I were you, the remaining key would show up a week after the spending the money on rekeying, and just to rub it in 6 months later I would find the second long lost key.

otter28169
06-01-2013, 08:54 PM
If you have a recliner; flip it over, dig through the frame and all the nooks and crannies. I once lost a motorcycle key in my chair and I looked under it and saw nothing. A few weeks later I was checking some of the springs when I noticed my key laying between the frame and the cloth. I had looked under it several times and never saw the key until that day. Hope this helps.

Just sayin'.............

vrodrjs
06-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Jacket, top of toolbox, laying inside your helmet, in the frunk. If your spyder is at home, the key has got to be there. Did you check the trash? You have a pet that would have knocked it off the counter?
Yes these are all places I have looked to find my keys

Illinois Boy
06-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Every time I cannot find something it is because I put it in a different place than I would normally.

Think back to when you last rode the Spyder.

Clothes pockets?
Helmet?
Shelf near bike?
Where you put other "bike stuff"?
Locked in frunk / trunk?
In the top compartment?
On shelf in entryway, in kitchen, bathroom?
Dirty clothes hamper (check all clothes and pockets)?
In your boots?
Did you take the key out and walk somewhere or do something you normally wouldn't do? If so, did you drop it near there?
On top of your car?
On top of anything else in the garage?

I wouldn't give up looking just yet. Give it a few more days before getting a new key-set.

When you find the key... tie a lanyard to it or something that you cannot lose. Lamonster has a IPS for the key that is pretty difficult to lose. You might try that.

Good luck to you.

RotaxDuramax
06-01-2013, 10:28 PM
I've lost my key a few times... found it once inside my riding gloves (when I tried to put them on), once I found it sitting in the ignition after searching the whole damn house for it. I can tell you, that they still work after going through the washing machine several times, lol.

Tx web rider
06-01-2013, 10:29 PM
saw this last night
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-CanAm-Roadster-Spyder-GS-990-Ignition-Key-84K-/130913324214

Jeriatric
06-01-2013, 10:34 PM
saw this last night
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-CanAm-Roadster-Spyder-GS-990-Ignition-Key-84K-/130913324214

Nice find! He has a - '12 Spyder RS-SE5 - Know not about RS's myself.

Chupaca
06-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Have to agree a research, grab some friends and offer a reward..!! At least a party before you face the time and expense to install a new or used one...!! good luck and let us know...:thumbup:

billybovine
06-01-2013, 10:50 PM
saw this last night

Well that's not much of a bargain. A new one with two keys is $199.00. But the OP still needs a new DESS module at $139.00.

Look harder for the key.

Dudley
06-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Did you possibly drop them in your front trunk? Many have done that in the past. If you haven't opened your trunk without keys, someone on Sl can help you.

Sigillum6
06-01-2013, 11:43 PM
I've been looking all day and checking everywhere at least twice. I've called every store I've gone to in the last week, checked every bag/jacket/washer/dryer. The only seating I have is a futon so no way it could have gotten in between cushions as it is just 1 mattress on a frame.

I opened the frunk by pulling on the cable underneath the ignition and checked in there with no luck, but I was at least able to pull my gear out.

A big thanks for the link to the ignition as that might be the route I end up having to go, it still beats $600 bucks and having to haul it with the toy hauler...

I'm going to check at work on Monday as well..seriously going to make sure I look EVERYWHERE before dropping any money.

eddieshep999
06-01-2013, 11:53 PM
I know many have given advice on where to look for the key - Not sure if someone has suggested this one

Re-check all your clothing esp those you use to wear whilst riding the Spyder - I would check the lining of the clothes as a key can sometimes make a hole in pockets etc and work its way between the outer layers and the lining of jackets and trousers etc - Just checking the pockets may not be enough esp if the key has slipped out
and is resting somewhere in the item

Good luck and hope all works out for you

Littlebadwolf
06-02-2013, 04:27 AM
I haven't lost any keys yet but I'm thinking getting Lamonts IPS may be a good idea to prevent an episode like this....

Sigillum6
06-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Still haven't found it and even dug through the garbage :sour:. Thinking of just going ahead and buying a new ignition but wanted to see if anyone has any input on issues I might come across?

Can anyone think of any reason why replacing the entire ignition wouldn't work? Is the ignition somehow coded to the bike?

The ignition on ebay comes with a key...

I'm also still waiting to hear back from BRP for alternate solutions to replacing the entire ignition.

scott16119
06-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Pretty sure there is a certain saint u are supposed to pray to when u lost something, used to work for my mom.

Sigillum6
06-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Good news!! The police have my key as evidence in home robberies as our complex was broken into last week :yikes:.

I feel pretty disgusted by the fact the criminals got my key but am glad it was recovered.

Fortunately my fiancé parks his bike behind mine and locks his steering so they couldn't steal the spyder.

Thank you all so much for the advice and good wishes!

:clap:

billybovine
06-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Still haven't found it and even dug through the garbage :sour:. Thinking of just going ahead and buying a new ignition but wanted to see if anyone has any input on issues I might come across?

Can anyone think of any reason why replacing the entire ignition wouldn't work? Is the ignition somehow coded to the bike?

The ignition on ebay comes with a key...

I'm also still waiting to hear back from BRP for alternate solutions to replacing the entire ignition.

Changing the ignition switch and key with the one on Ebay won't work. The codes for the chips in your keys are not stored there. The codes for the programed keys are stored on the DESS module. The DESS module will only accept a new key during the program cycle only after it sees a previously coded key (the ones you lost) and a dealer master key. The only exception to this is when the DESS module is brand new it will accept new keys without an old key 1 time only.

But what you could do is contact the vendor on Ebay and see if he has the DESS that goes with that key. Then if you swap out both, that should work I think!

NancysToy
06-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Good news!! The police have my key as evidence in home robberies as our complex was broken into last week :yikes:.

I feel pretty disgusted by the fact the criminals got my key but am glad it was recovered.

Fortunately my fiancé parks his bike behind mine and locks his steering so they couldn't steal the spyder.

Phew! Best to go down to your dealer, bite the bullet, and have an additional key made up so you don't have to sweat this one again. JMHO

billybovine
06-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Glad you got the key back.

Marker
06-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Phew! Best to go down to your dealer, bite the bullet, and have an additional key made up so you don't have to sweat this one again. JMHO

:agree: Best Idea yet!! JMHO

vrodrjs
06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
So somebody broke into your place and all they took was the key to the Spyder? Or did they take other stuff and you just never thought about them taking the spyder key?

Bob Ledford
06-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I was at my dealers one day and thought I had locked my key in the frunk so I looked all around the bike and everywhere in the dealership and my jean pockets before calling my rescue bunny to bring hers. Having no luck I made the call.

She arrived and unlocked the frunk and NO KEY. So the shop owner, secretary , service manager, service writer and others looked the store over again. My spouse said "stand still" and started patting my pockets down. Guess what? You are right! Deep in the corner of one of the patch pockets was stuck the key. I was wearing a pair of those jeans with more pockets then you need and it was caught up in the vertical bifold seam . Just a thought!

ARtraveler
06-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Glad you turned up the location of the missing key.

Just a reiteration: A spare key is advisable.

Don't forget to check if you left the key in the ignition. This happened to me in Fairbanks AK. I left it in the :spyder2: overnight, sitting in the front row of the parking lot. I did have my spare, but it was unsettling to come up with a missing key in the AM. We went through the cabin and the luggage about four times before I finally gave up, and found it in the ignition.

I also lost a key down the lining of my riding pants. Small hole in pocket, and the key was found on the inside by the cuff.

oldgoat
06-02-2013, 04:41 PM

Are they going to give it to you now or keep it 'til the trial?

Oldmanzues
06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Glad to hear, you got it back.
I would go for two more keyes instead of just one more.
I bought two more for mine and manged to lose one, so now I have three. One stays in a safe place at home, at all times, even I am on a trip. Sometimes, that overnite fee is worth it.
Just my thoughts
Oldmanzues

burg650
06-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Now it's the time to go out and get a spare or two, I know many other owners hide a key somewhere on the bike. This is the one that I used http://www.amazon.com/Bell-05905-DELUXE-MAGNETIC-LOCKERS/dp/B0034TOGEA/ref=pd_sbs_a_54 you can usually find it at a local auto parts shop like pepboys.

Cruzr Joe
06-03-2013, 01:02 PM
a 3rd spare key could be put in a lockbox somewhere ......... you have to get them all coded at the same time or they wont all work.

Cruzr Joe