PDA

View Full Version : Seat options - ST

CharlieM90
06-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Looking for aftermarket solution for wife's ST seat. Trying to find a seat that you don't have to lift/unlatch/raise/etc in order to be able to gas fill. I know Corbin's system has an access panel for this. Any other solutions out there?
Trying to avoid having to remove gear strapped down on rear of seat on long trips every time my wife and I stop for gas. Get's annoying pretty quickly. I'm not too much of a fan of Cobin seats - the wife has never had one and it is her ride so this may be a none-issue. But before committing to a Corbin, thought I'd query if anyone knows of any other aftermarket solution on this.
Any suggestions welcome.

MarkLawson
06-01-2013, 07:15 PM
I just purchased an Ultimate for my wife's '08 GS. Ultimate told me that it also fits the new ST. That being said, I would guess that any after-market seat for the GS/RS should fit the ST. If you find one that has the fuel door feature for the RS, you should be able to consider it for your ST.

coz
06-01-2013, 07:59 PM
you can put in your own fuel door. search the mods board.

Sny
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Well I discovered today that the STOCK 2009 RS seat does NOT fit on a 2013 ST-S.

The latching pin is about 1" too far forward and the rectangular housing that the latch pin is in hits on the bracket long before the pin contacts the latch.

I wanted to use my RS seat as it was customized for me by Kontour and has the Kontour polar mesh covering which, after 30k miles on one, I won't ride without (it's that good.)

That said, Ultimate (or Corbin or whomever) made for an RS might fit the ST due to differences in design (more adjustment in the pin position or hinge position). Or, I might not have any idea what I'm doing... it's been known to happen.

If you have an RS seat, doesn't hurt to try it. But if you're looking at buying one, be careful.

CharlieM90
06-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Thanks for replies.

Primary consideration is fuel access. Either via a fuel door (aka Corbin) or a two-piece seat with passenger seat staying in place while operator seat is raised/lifted (also aka Corbin) to gain access to fuel fill cap.
Any seat can be reworked by competent manufacturer (I prefer Sargent) so comfort is secondary consideration in looking at aftermarket.
Someone suggested a DIY fuel door. And while that is a possibility, I'd prefer to survey what's available as an aftermarket solution. I don't like the the idea of chopping up a stock seat - if only for any future potential resale value hit.

Sny
06-05-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't like the the idea of chopping up a stock seat - if only for any future potential resale value hit.
You can always pick up a stock seat cheap and swap that in if you sell it.

mjw930
06-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Well I discovered today that the STOCK 2009 RS seat does NOT fit on a 2013 ST-S.

The latching pin is about 1" too far forward and the rectangular housing that the latch pin is in hits on the bracket long before the pin contacts the latch.

I wanted to use my RS seat as it was customized for me by Kontour and has the Kontour polar mesh covering which, after 30k miles on one, I won't ride without (it's that good.)

That said, Ultimate (or Corbin or whomever) made for an RS might fit the ST due to differences in design (more adjustment in the pin position or hinge position). Or, I might not have any idea what I'm doing... it's been known to happen.

If you have an RS seat, doesn't hurt to try it. But if you're looking at buying one, be careful.

The seat pan for the ST, RS and GS are essentually identical, not sure why the one you tried didn't work but the forward pin can be moved more than one inch front to back and well over 1 inch in and out.

in this thread you can see an Ultimate seat, built on a 2009 GS pan that came off my wife's 2008 GS fits the ST-S perfectly. If you check BRP parts books you'll see the seat pan p/n is the same for the RS and the ST. The GS and the RS are the same bike.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?50132-Ultimate-Seat-for-the-ST&highlight=Ultimate

Sny
06-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Measured the seat pan itself and it's 3/8ths longer than the ST seat.

The pin can be aligned without issue, but the rectangular block that the pin is mounted to impacts the painted surface of the Y panel.

I've got it to the point where it can be closed, but it's tight and it will definitely wear down that painted part as well as the right at the center of the y-panel. Not sure if the seat will wear more than the panel or not ;)

Anyhow, it's on there. And I hate the STS stock seat enough that I'll deal with it.

mjw930
06-12-2013, 08:17 AM
I'll need to measure the two wheni get back from the Spyder event but my guess is the 3/8" difference didn't matter on ours (if my 2 pans are different) due to manufacturing tolerances. I would think you could easily grind/sand the portion of the offending pan to prevent the interference. Certainly worth the effort if you have a custom seat on the longer pan and can't stand the stock seat.

MotownCruiser
06-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Love my Corbin!

AutumnCat
06-12-2013, 10:01 AM
I haven't found a seat with a fuel door other than Corbin.
Had one on my RS - but, I'm looking for other options for my new ST-L. Considering Russell and Ultimate.
I have the rear seat bag and I am looking for quick release extension straps to run under the seat in stead of through the passenger grips.

Perhaps attaching luggage that way might help? Just a thought.

Now, I have to go find the mod board post that tells how to add a fuel door to other seats!

widowmaker2011
06-22-2013, 09:35 PM
I haven't found a seat with a fuel door other than Corbin.
Had one on my RS - but, I'm looking for other options for my new ST-L. Considering Russell and Ultimate.
I have the rear seat bag and I am looking for quick release extension straps to run under the seat in stead of through the passenger grips.

Perhaps attaching luggage that way might help? Just a thought.

Now, I have to go find the mod board post that tells how to add a fuel door to other seats!

The ultimate seat has a fuel door also. Saw one recently was very well made imho

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

mjw930
06-23-2013, 10:11 AM
The ultimate seat has a fuel door also. Saw one recently was very well made imho

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

only on the RT seat, not the ST / RT seat.

AutumnCat
07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
only on the RT seat, not the ST / RT seat.

Correct.
I contacted Ultimate and they have no plans on adding a fuel door to the seats for ST or RS models. :(

CharlieM90
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM
We ordered a Corbin. Fuel door is nice but what really was important was being able to move/lift front rider seat while leaving rear one in place while fueling (because we'll be loading up the passenger seat area with lugagge/etc and that would be a serious pain to have to untie/unload 2 or 3 20 liter Kriega dry bags every time we stopped for gas).

Never been much of a Corbin fan but it's the wife's ride - not mine. She can sit on what she wants. I just install it. :)

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.